Weird things happening - CS 2 advice needed

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

I am having strange things happening on my system. When I try to crop an image P/S tells me "Could not complete your request, scratch disks are full"

I hope it is not a virus again, checked the settings as far as I know how to and all seems right, searched for a folder with large amounts of temporary data and could not find it, used the Purge function (all) and still no joy.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!(y)

Don't see "performance" there...any other way to check it?

I thought closing photoshop was supposed to clear the scratch disks?

Go to Edit -> Preferences then select plugins & scratch disks, you can change the location of your scratch disk as well there :)

I thought so too, is there a way to check if this is happening or not?

Cannot really change my scratch disk settings as my laptop has only on HDD and the scratch disk info reflects correctly under HELP>System info... :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Maybe you just have not got enough free space left on your drive?

Try deleting some stuff.

Which leaves me with the possibility of a virus?:bang::bang::bang:

What is strange is that everything else in my system seems to be O.K.:thinking::cautious::shrug:

Try defraging the hard Drive.
Photoshop requires contiguous, unfragmented free space on the scratch disk.
Worth a try.

What to lose, will give it a go, cheers(y)

Cobra, good to see you here, I have been lying low for a while but promise to be back more regularly

You too Anton (y)
I thought it was quiet :D

Thanks for the link, Chris.
I just found a 35 gig temp file in my local/temp folder. (y)
Now deleted.

No worries glad it helped (y)

Chris, I had a look at your fix as it was a problem previously - happened to coincide with general cr*p which I put down to a virus and nuked and redone my system.

Trouble is I find no big temp PS files (or ANY PS temp files) for that matter.:shrug::bang:

They are hidden files.
You will have to make sure you have "Show Hidden Files" checked.

As above Anton /\ but if that doesn't work I am stumped..sorry

As above Anton /\ but if that doesn't work I am stumped..sorry

Consider yourself stumped...;):D

The :bang::bang::bang: carries on though. Just did the recommended defrag so busy checking...

Nope, still the same:bang::bang: and :bang:

probabley a daft question but have you tried increasing the scratch disc "volume"?

probabley a daft question but have you tried increasing the scratch disc "volume"?

Please tell me how before this laptop suddenly reaches a premature retirement

I have even set the scratch size to be viewed and it shows something like 197.2 Mb out of 1.07G...

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Hang on a bit, my Nero is on the blink...as I tried to burn disks last night it froze up in the checking disks phase...

Well, it has done so a few times recently and then I reach through the blue cloud for the power button as there is no other way to get it out.

Last night after one of these blue cloud resets I subsequently tried to open a PSD I created before said reset and it was damaged...

Any chances something else could then be damaged...

Repairable?:confused::nuts:

I think I would uninstall and reinstall Photoshop.
Something is wrong and, hopefully, it may be a corrupt PS file.

P.S. Chris, how do you increase the scratch disc volume ? :thinking:

in CS3 anyway Click edit > preferences>...........

untitled.jpg

Hang on a bit, my Nero is on the blink...as I tried to burn disks last night it froze up in the checking disks phase...

Well, it has done so a few times recently and then I reach through the blue cloud for the power button as there is no other way to get it out.

Last night after one of these blue cloud resets I subsequently tried to open a PSD I created before said reset and it was damaged...

Any chances something else could then be damaged...

Repairable?:confused::nuts:

I am a bit lost now Anton I guess I would try the un-install re-install option at this point, do you have "roll back option?
if so thats the next thing I would try ie
Start menu> Programmes> accesories> system tools > system restore

I see that, mate, but how can you increase the scratch dic volume.
I can increase the memory usage (RAM) or the cache levels but not the scratch disc volume.

As I understand it its the same thing, the hard drive is the scratch disc
your are just increasing the volume allocated as above........I think thats right anyway :thinking:

edit nicked from another forum
Photoshop's scratch disc/volume serves the same purpose as Window's pagefile or virtual memory - it's where information is written to, temporarily, such as history states and all of the layers, etc.. If you have a second physical hard drive in your system, PS wants you to set the scratch disc to be on the other drive, that way it doesn't interfere with the pagefile and vice-versa. If you only have one hdd, then this isn't an option. You could try lowering the amount of history states (under preferences) so that the space needed for scratch is smaller. It may help - it may not.
Your best bet would be to install a second hdd, even if you just get a used 2GB one off of eBay (which would probably cost more for shipping than to buy it) and set PS's scratch disc to that one (again, under preferences).

As I understand it its the same thing, the hard drive is the scratch disc
your are just increasing the volume allocated as above........I think thats right anyway :thinking:

edit nicked from another forum
Photoshop's scratch disc/volume serves the same purpose as Window's pagefile or virtual memory - it's where information is written to, temporarily, such as history states and all of the layers, etc.. If you have a second physical hard drive in your system, PS wants you to set the scratch disc to be on the other drive, that way it doesn't interfere with the pagefile and vice-versa. If you only have one hdd, then this isn't an option. You could try lowering the amount of history states (under preferences) so that the space needed for scratch is smaller. It may help - it may not.
Your best bet would be to install a second hdd, even if you just get a used 2GB one off of eBay (which would probably cost more for shipping than to buy it) and set PS's scratch disc to that one (again, under preferences).
I think the volume of the scratch disc is what it is ............. the free space available on the drive.
I don't think you can increase or decrease the allocation on this the way you can with RAM.
I could be wrong. :shrug:

No, absolutely no joy, will trash it and reinstall tonight.

Hello guys

Only did the nuke/reinstall tonight, got a bit busy last night and then I tucked in early with a chest cold

Working fine now...I just remembered I never saved my actions...now to do them over again:bang::bonk:

Oh well it works...must maybe check out nero before it lands me there again...

Cheers and thanks for the help

Glad you got there in the end Anton (y)

Back