Welding Glass A200

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
I have some shade 10 welding glass. I want to try some Looong exposures during the day. I'll be using my A200.
I have tried stacking stars before with this and get the purple corners. I guess they are common...

My question/s is, has anybody used welding glass during the day with a Sony A200 and had issues with the purple corners? Or is the issue accentuated only with the stacking of stars?
Would I be fine with one long exposure during the day? Anything up to 2 minutes I guess.
Would the Long Exposure NR take care of this?

Thanks

Interesting, I had this issue with a Konica Minolta 5D (which the a200 is essentially an upgrade from). The problem relates to the CCD sensor and the heat caused by a long exposure. I know I couldn't get anything longer than 15 seconds without a lot of purple streaks and, just as bad, digital noise and hot pixels. I don't think the first generation Sony/KM sensor will hold up well doing long exposures. One thing I never thought of until now was ; Make sure you switch Steady Shot off, that will add to the heat on the sensor.

Image stacking did make the purple patches/streak more prominent. LR NR done absolutely nothing for my purple patch problem, but it did deal with the hot pixels. One single long exposure of 30 seconds could possibly hold and maybe clone some of the bad stuff out. Good luck with it.

They look good mike. The colour image is quite soft at the corners - is that the lens or the effect of the glass?

Thank you :)
I think it's the glass. I'm using the 18-70mm kit lens. But not had that problem before. Really enjoyed it though. Can't wait to get out and have another go.

hi there,
can i ask if using the welding glass affected the colour of your image ( all welding glasses i have seen are dark green or blue ) if so how did you correct it.
thanks
Bill

hi there,
can i ask if using the welding glass affected the colour of your image ( all welding glasses i have seen are dark green or blue ) if so how did you correct it.
thanks
Bill
It came out bright green originally. You can either convert to B&W or adjust the White balance in Adobe RAW.
Have a look on YouTube for lots of great tips.

Mainly trial and error. But it is fun nevertheless!!

Back