Well, being as though Jamey started the cliche thing.....

Edit My Images
Yes
It's minging out and i've been bored.......

so I thought I'd have aplay with what I could find....

Blue_milk_Tube.jpg

Blue_trio.jpg

Milky_blue_crown.jpg

Memory.jpg

All shot on the Fz30 with no macro adapter.

The droplet ones are milk in an ashtray! Around f2.8 ish and between 1/500 and 1/2000 of a second. Toshiba flash with bounce/colour diffusion (homemade) set to auto at 1/16 power.

the memory one was similar but without the aid of the Fox's crinkle crunch colour diffuser ;)

Sod the pic of the memory chip, the milk ones are brilliant! Shot manually, I take it? Or did you use a room full of electronics to synchronise?

The milk shots are great, really great but you need to do some photoshop work on the depth of the black background. make sure it is completely black and has no texture so that all the attention is directed onto the milk drops. You have done all the hard work, it would be such a shame to have them slightly let down by still requiring a small tweek in the processing stage. Make them look very clinical and clean and they will really stand out. :smilenod:

Supurb shots!!!

advice duly noted Steve.

I'll have a play and see if I can the background darker, either with masks or some sort of selective levels adjustments.

Any other suggestions as to how that could be achieved would be greatly appreciated.

No fancy electronic equipment used, just about 300 exposures :)

Not yet seen that site Bachs, I'll have a browse later. Probably put my work to shame I'd imagine.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was quite chuffed with them too.

gandhi said:
I'll have a play and see if I can the background darker, either with masks or some sort of selective levels adjustments.

Any other suggestions as to how that could be achieved would be greatly appreciated.

Easy peasy! :)

(1) Select deepest black as background colour from palette.

(2) Use magic wand to select all background getting a tight fit around the milk. Gradually increase tool tolerance for best tight fit.(ooer!)

(3) Feather the mask by about 4 pixels.

(4) Cut -to black background and remove mask.

(5) As a nicety use the soften or blur tool to soften the back edge of the milk pool.

Bob's your auntie...

milk3.jpg

Excellent stuff Ghandi, when i did the one i showed a little while ago, i used a shallow DoF and focused on the spot i expected to get the droplet at(with a straw as my focus mark)and did that, at F5.6 it worked fine, must give it a go with the still unused tamron!

lovely shots, never tried this so might be something for these dark nights :)

gandhi said:
advice duly noted Steve.

Another method is in PS open the curves dialog, select the black point eye dropper and then click on the background of your image. Its quick and easy and usually gives excellent results ;)

Back