Beginner Well, Hats off to all you pro Togs

Name
Dom
Edit My Images
Yes
Honestly, I don't know how you do it. Much respect I have after today.

So the context is that I was asked to photograph 300 staff at work. I'm an amateur outdoor guy, not portraits or close up stuff. I did some a couple of months back but this was the larger office in England and to be brutally frank, I'm exhausted. So much to think about in portraiture and all a wee bit up close and intimate for an old prude like me, LOL.

I sorted all teh WB issues by using 2 constant lamps with daylight bulbs in them which really helped but thinking about exposures with all the differing complexions, hair colours, clothing colours, reflected light etc.......I'm brain mashed now.

I now have MUCH more respect for those of you that do this all the time.

Oh, and all this on my 50th birthday. Bad planning that !

Dom

Well i hope you got some nice equipment for your birthday.
Many happy returns

I'm not a full time professional (yet), but I have nothing but respect for those doing it.

These days everyone thinks they're a professional photographer because they fluked a decent sunset on their iPhone and Facebook friends think "wow thats amazing, you're really talented".

I had a bloke the other day tell me his photo should have been on the front cover of a magazine (he was being serious) because he'd got a glowing sunset (with the foreground completely black) and applied a filter in Instagram. He knew I was into photography and insisted on asking what I thought - cringe!

PS: good on you for taking it on Dom!

The problem with professional work is that it tends to take the enjoyment out of your photography. Travel, travel, shoot shoot shoot, edit edit edit edit, travel, backup, backup, shoot, edit etc etc. Basically it's bloody hard work.

If you want a taster, I did a blog post every day when I covered the World Cup in Brazil in 2014. You can find it here.

Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
I have to say that despite the hard work it made a decent change from writing design documents. And the day rate was my normal rate so not too shabby. Mind you, I suspect a Pro would have charged quite a bit more :whistle:

But probably more valuable to me was the portrait experience. I should be able to get some much nicer family photos now I know a bit more.

I did 60 kids portraits a few weeks back for the school leavers year book (plus teachers) and that was bad enough - got to go back and get a few more still as a couple were off with some sort of bug.
Not something that I can see myself doing as a job to be honest (my skill level will prevent that anyway:exit:)

Back