Well its finally happened...Wedding no 1!

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
Yes
So its finally happened - friend of the family have asked me to photograph their sons wedding in October. Small, inexpensive affair. I have agreed to do it and ensured that the are aware that i am only a beginner.

I have read through a lot of the tips here and got some great advice. Just wanted to run through a couple of things.

1. Charge - they want to pay me for this - it will be a full day affair and int the evening and then there is the editing - I was thinking £150?

2. Kit. I have a Canon 550D, 18-55mm lens, 50mm prime f1.8, Jessops AFD360 Flashgun. Should I look to hire a 70-200mm f2.8 lens as well or will the above mentioned kit be enough?

Im ok with the composition of the shots - just wanted some advice on he above and anything else I might need to know. I will be the only photographer on the day so ant to do the best job I can with the skills I have.

Thanks all.

With the money you are charging I wouldn't spend on hiring. The couple obviously don't consider the photography the best part of their wedding, which is fair enough and no offence to you. Just do the best you can within the limits of your kit.

I agree. No point in renting. Even from lensesforhire on a 3 day rate (minimal rental), thats £49 so leaving you with around £100 left profit.

My worry is if its going to be in a church, if they do not allow flash during the ceremony etc, you will have a hard time getting a good keeper rate. Since you have an external flash, I would recommend ensuring you have enough batteries and know how to bounce flash to get the best out of it.

Teshi said:
I agree. No point in renting. Even from lensesforhire on a 3 day rate (minimal rental), thats £49 so leaving you with around £100 left profit.

My worry is if its going to be in a church, if they do not allow flash during the ceremony etc, you will have a hard time getting a good keeper rate. Since you have an external flash, I would recommend ensuring you have enough batteries and know how to bounce flash to get the best out of it.

I'm just learning about using my flashgun and will have practiced a lot with it before the day. I was thinking of using my prime lens and drop it to 1.8 - 2.8 to accommodate the dark in the church. This would be specifically for the vows and aisle part then switch to my 18-55 with flash for the signing o the register and walking back out.

I did a friend's wedding last October - I was doing it for a gift for friends. I had a D90, kit lens, a 50 1.8 and a Nikon SB600.

What I did - in case that is any help....

I got a 17-50 Tamron 2.8 - I bought it as I thought it was a good lens to have anyway and its still my walkabout lens on my D90. I also picked up an extra s/h SB600 from on here (thinking I could sell it again if I wanted to though I didn't). So I did invest in some extra gear but all things I'd use for my other photography.

I did a speedlight training day to learn more about using flash - again something I'd have done anyway.

I asked a friend to do a location shoot with me to get practice posing someone and giving direction.

I had coffee with the couple to talk over what they wanted/expected.

I went to the reception venue and took some test shots and planned where I'd do my group shots and couple shots. I also went to the church - actually to the rehearsal, and spoke to the minister as my friend had said she didn't allow any photography during the ceremony at all - only aisle shots and signing register (and I managed to negotiate shooting from the balcony during a hymn.)

I borrowed another D90, an 85 1.8 and a Tokina 11-16 (for that shot from the balcony).

I asked a friend to come along and act as assistant, second shooter etc.

I had two shot lists planned - one of just group shots and brought a couple of copies of that and gave those to best man and someone else to help get the right people for the group shots. My other shot list was for myself and second shooter and had all the shots I wanted to get - groom at church, bride arriving, guests, detail shots like flowers, rings, hands, etc etc.

The only problems I had was time (not my fault, the couple hadn't built in enough time between ceremony and meal, esp as they were about an hours drive apart) and the 'Uncle Bob' who ruined a few shots by literally jumping in front of me etc - I had practiced directing a subject but not the other guests and needed to be firmer with them.

Hope that's helpful. :D

I agree with others. Use what you have since you are not charging a lot. The other thing to consider is any ancillary costs such as parking? If you are only charging £150, little things like parking can quickly add up.

For example if it is going to cost you a tenner to park and you go twice, once to recce the place and another time for the actual day then that's quite a chunk of your charge.

Find out where the ceremony is and what rules are in place for photography. If you can, check the location out beforehand and figure out where best to do the formals on a good day and on a rainy day. I'd do this a few days before the ceremony at roughly the same time if you can. This way you can better see what the light will look like. It will look vastly different in August than late October.

My very first wedding I shot with the Jessops flash. It's ok...a bit slow to recharge and not sure if it was just mine but occasionally it seemed to fire full power regardless of need/settings and overexposed EVERYTHING.

Lastly I'm surprised noone's mentioned this yet, beg/borrow a second DSLR just in case yours goes kaput during the day.

As the old adage goes....

Rule 1: Always have backups
Rule 2: Refer to rule 1!

Lastly I'm surprised noone's mentioned this yet, beg/borrow a second DSLR just in case yours goes kaput during the day.
I mentioned it! And usually easiest if you can borrow a body the same or similar to yours.

And extra batteries and memory cards of course.

What previous wedding experience have you had ... 2nd shooter? Training day?
Weddings are a one-off and you can't re-do them - they accept that you are a beginner now, but they are paying you ... albeit just £150.
I hope that your friend/family can cope with the possibility of it not turning out as expected and that you don't come back after the wedding saying how relationships have soured!

Yep all the fears you kit will die and you will fail to get any shots. on and on and on.

I took it all in and before I shot my first wedding as a favour for a friend without any payment I spent bucket loads, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, 2nd hand 2nd camera and a 2nd 580EX2 flash gun. (for a freeby remember). never thinking I would have any problems but a week before the 500D started playing up and couldn't communicate with the flash so flash exposure was all over the place. off to canon for repair and got it back the afternoon of the day before. Brown trousers doesn't come close but I did have calumet on hand with some hire kit if I had needed it.

Wedding went ok couple loved the low res photos I gave them on a disk but never got back to me and when I asked them they thought that was it and they still haven't come back to me. Its a very streesfull day having the backup kit was one less thing I had to worry about.

Thats for the helpful advice folks. Maybe I will lower my fee as im not spending any money on additional kit - they wouldn't expect me to.

It is a really low budget wedding and they wanted someone to take photos of them - im not even sure they want anything in the church to be honest - just the usual group family shots.

What previous wedding experience have you had ... 2nd shooter? Training day?
Weddings are a one-off and you can't re-do them - they accept that you are a beginner now, but they are paying you ... albeit just £150.
I hope that your friend/family can cope with the possibility of it not turning out as expected and that you don't come back after the wedding saying how relationships have soured!

Havent had any wedding training but have done some protrait work.

Thanks for your help though - its filled me with confidence...

Ask if they want any shots in the church, and if it's OK with the vicar (usually flash free during the ceremony) if yes tell them you will need to hire a lens and discuss the possibility of them paying for it. They will probably get an idea of the cost of kit then. Get a decent tripod for these shots and be discreet at the back.

Get a shot list organised with them.

Visit the venue with them at the same time of day the shots will be taken to get an idea of light and group locations. Also ask the vicar where the pros usually do the groups.

Double diffuse the flash.

Try and borrow a second body and whack the nifty fifty on for quick candids and back up.

Lots of memory, and batteries.

Do plenty of day logging shots such as church inside and our, cake, tables, cars, hats, shoes, decorations, flowers, any thing quirky or unique to the day etc. Try and make a story of the day for them and also record their guests. Along with their shots from the list it will give them a great set of memories from the day

Get there early, wear comfortable but smart clothes. And be prepared to sweat ;)

Preparation, preparation and more preparation.

Be ruthless in the edit.

Oh and enjoy!

good luck m8, don't fret to much. if they couple don't wish to spend the money on someone who has years of experience in this field (no disrespect) then you shouldn't have the weight of the workd on your shoulder. Also I would agree that you shouldnt be hiring anything.. purchase yes if you will use again but don't hire.

it should be a an easy audience though as everyone is up for it at weedings.

good luck and enjoy.

Danny, if it were me (and this was me in June), I would do it for free mate.

Go back to them and say it's a two way steet - you're doing them a favour and they're doing you one as in gaining valuable experience. That way you can certainly relax more as the expectation isn't as great.

And it's really easy to say this but try and stay calm and you'll enjoy the day a lot more.

And definately go with TWO bodies, no excuse not to.

Good luck mate (y)

Thanks for the responses guys. I have decided that I will do it for free. I really wouldn't feel comfortable charging them £150 - £200 especially at the stage that i am at right now (beginner!!)

I shall use my 50mm in the church, then my 18-55mm for the group shots, ISO as low as i can get it and Aperture at around 5.6 - that sound OK?

I looked into the cst of hiring a 70-200mm 2.8 lens and its only £35. Might just do that anyway as its the only lens I would need on then.

Remember that you can clean up noise in post, but you can't sharpen up blur - so don't worry too much about bumping up the ISO, but make sure you have decent shutter speeds.
I personally go for around f8 for groups, but it doesn't matter so long as everyone is in focus(!)
Money wise, I'd get them to cover costs. I'd personally want to rent a good work horse - EF-S 17-55 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, or 24-105 f4. You'll end up using that range for most of your shots, so might as well make it a good lens.

Other than that, prepare, plan and enjoy yourself!

**Without reading any of the replies, I would recommend a 17-55 f/2.8
**Can you borrow another body to put your 50mm on?
**Spare Batteries
**Plenty of batteries for your gun (Does it have HSS?)
**Plenty of "Small memory" (Id rather lose 1GB of data on a card than 16GB of everything

Enjoy yourself and try not to smile to hard when people say "Move out of the way he is a Photographer!" No seriously im sure you have an idea of what shots you plan on doing, I would think of it as them helping you and do it for free, not many togs experience shooting a wedding and its not for everyone, I have great respect for those that do it day in day out because i couldnt and you will see what i mean.

Gl + Have fun

I'd rent/borrow another camera as a backup. The 70-200 would be too long on a crop body, so I'd also get the 17-55 2.8IS. Charge them for the rentals, make sure they are clear that that is what they are paying for.

f5.6 in church? You're kidding right? Go there and try it.

Final peice of advice, If you do nothing else in prep, have a shot list for the day and tick them off as you get them.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Right so I have been to the venue. I will post up some of the test shots I did however need some advice. I have no option of borrowing another body therefore...

1. The grooms parents have offered to cover the cost of lens hire for me if i need it. Would you all agree that the 17-55mm f2.8 would be better than 70.200mm f2.8 on my 550D?

2. When taking the group shots, i shall be doing them outside of the church on a grassy slope that leads up to the church. The sun will be directly in front on me. What would be the best way of me dealing with this, as I like the fact that the church would be in the background (very picture postcard!!).

3. What advice can you give me for group shot set up - Should I use my tripod or do I not really need that? As i said the group shots are on a hill - would it be better if I was higher or slightly lower than the group?

4. Would any of you recommend Av or Tv mode for the group shots. I found that in the church, Tv mode gave me great results (1/200 f1.8 worked fine) but was just wondering about the group shots.

I'll post up the test shots and ask for your advice and help shortly. Thanks again folks.

Last edited:
I find the 70-200 is much more usefull for a wedding service, allows you to get the shots without getting too close.

Sun infront is my prefered shot anyway, no shaddows under noses and eyes and they won't be quinting due to the sun in their eyes. Things can look a little lacking in contrast though.

I wouldn't bother with the tripod for group shots. you don't really want them looking down on you as you get double chins maybe more ;) try to get level maybe a short step ladder?

TV/AV you need to get a sutiable depth of field to get everyone in focus so a narrow apperture but watch out for your shutter droppigng too much.

Thanks for the response John. How should I deal with the sun flares? Will flash sort this out?

To reduce flare; Keep the sun out of your frame, no filters and clean decent quality lens. Flash can do nothing about the flare, but will help with the contrast if you prefer that look (opinion is divided).

I know everyone has the best of intentions but some of the advice on this thread needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Listen to the pro's, even if its not what you want to hear, they are not trying to knock your confidence, just speaking from experience.

Firstly, you need gear that it up to the job, end of story. Good to hear they are going to pay for the lens hire, try and borrow a second camera body from someone, no matter how crap, just in case.

I shoot with a 35, 50, 85 and 70-200 (on full frame), they cover 99% of wedding pics and keeps it simple. The 17-55 would be fine I'm sure, just make sure you watch your distance to the subject and composition when at the wide end. I would get the 70-200 as well, will give you great compression and reach. Keeping it simple is the key, too many options will just confuse things.

This time of year the sun is low and shooting with it behind the group is going to be very hard, I appreciate doing it with the nicest backdrop is important, but if I were you (and considering the flash you have) I'd look for some shade. If its cloudy then you're golden and you can shoot wherever you like.

As for settings, use whatever's required to get the exposure, its not something you should be deciding on before hand, without knowing what the conditions are like. As long as you are comfortable with exposure compensation then aperture priority would be my preference. I always shoot groups in manual for consistency, at anywhere from f2.8 to f16. I'll use the 70-200 if there's room, if not a 50mm 1.8. If you do manage to get the shot with the church behind, remember the longer the focal length you are using, the bigger (and less distorted) the church will look in the background.

Forget using a tripod, this is your first time and there will be a lot to do in a short amount of time, you need to be able to move around quickly and easily.

Get someone to help you with the group shots, they round the people up for the next shot while you take the current photo. Make sure no one is standing square to the camera, get them all to angle in towards the B&G, else it will look like a police line-up.

Most importantly, make sure you email something if you haven't already (so its in writing), to clarify that this is your first wedding and that they accept that there is considerable risk compared to what an experienced professional would be able to produce. Get them to reply saying they understand and your ass is covered.

Last edited:
Hi,

First of all, best of luck. Im sure it wil be fine. We have all been there at some point. My first was for a friend...in Goa India!!! Beach, Sun, sunsets, shade etc etc. I did a test run the day before witht he bride and groom and a few others and thank god i did. Was tricky but the b&g were well pleased.

Back to you....firstly, get the right kit. Enough advice has been given re kit already but one thing for sure is have at least 2 bodies already set up with the preferred lenses.

Get it in writing that you are an amatuer and that the results may not be up to expectations. Sounds ruthless but worth it. (doesnt have to be negative, make it into a positive by phrasing it well)

Large Sd cards and shoot plenty. You will find that as its your first wedding you will shoot like mad. But at the same time dont shoot for the sake of shooting. Think of composition.

Look around - some of the best shots are hidden away. Watch the children, always a good shot to be had with kids playing / hiding behind the bride etc.

Find out who the important people are (brides parents, grooms parents, close cousins, close friends etc). The B&G wont want 23 shots of great uncle 3rd time removed fred but only 1 shot of the brides mum....OUCH!

Get a list of group shots that the bride wants, (but do let her know that time constraints may prevent them all from being taken so order them in priority / preference) and get the best man to (or relaible person) to organise them. I saw a photographer use a triangle (instrument) to get attention to get the people moving. (i have heard of some using a whilstle but thats a little harsh i think). Trust me, wedding guests lose all abilty to organise themselves, you need a strong personality on your side to help with the rounding up!! Its like hearding cats!!

dont be afarid to push in front of other guests to get the shot. Its your responsibilty to capture the memory not cousin joe or uncle bob. Politely move in and they dont mind stepping out the way.

Prep - recce the place. Work out where to stand inside and out. Always have a back up position incase you cant get to the desired position

Dont stand around engaging with people for too long. Be friendly but be on your toes.

Look for the light and guide the B&G. They dont mind spending time with the photographer and being guided / coached providing you are encouraging and vocal. Nothing worse than a stone cold silent photographer. be engaging.

Ask the venue where the other photographers take shots from. They see this day in and day out so have a good idea of where the light is!

Give them space. Long lens and let the B&G stoll for 10 mins whilst you shoot from a distance. Beutiful private moments can be hard to capture at a wedding.

research the essential shots (Rings, Table placings, boquet, dress detail, bride getting ready, car detail, etc) and then the unconventional and try and get a balance of the 2.

Be inventive. Take props / a large gilt edged (or similar) photo frame and set up a photo booth type thing. The friends will love it and you will get some great shots as they hold the frame up in front of their faces larking about (if you think the wedding is suitable for that type of thing).

set a cut off time. ie you dont want to be there at midnight becasue all you will get are very drunk party shots.

ermmm......Have fun!!!!!

Last edited:
One final question from me - I have managed to borrow a Canon Eos 1100D from my friend to go with my Eos 550D. I have 2 lenses - 50mm prime f1.4 and a 17-55mm kit lens. What would people put on which camera.

My thought is the kit lens on the 1100D and the 50mm on the 550D as i will be taking most of the candid shots with the prime lens (luckily for this one, no formal shots required bar 2 group shots!

FYI my mates rates are 400-500 but my gear is a bit more expensive. For 150 you are savng them 80% which is generous but think you are diddling yourself.

Well i now know that i definitely dont want to be a wedding photographer now!!

Yesterday was good fun though but very stressful. I see now why professional togs have at least 2 people taking pics on the day.

Luckily it was very informal - not your standard wedding so i managed to get away with candids and shots of couples and families arriving at the church. The group shots were short and sweet and managed to get everyone posing. They didn't want any of the quirky posed shots so again, I got away with it nicely i think.

Mainly used the 50mm prime but the 17.55 wide came in handy. Oh how I wish I had a 70-20mm f2.8 zoom though with IS. My zoom hasn't got it and couldn't get in close for some during the ceremony (which had to be taken from the back as wasn't allowed by the vicar.)

I'll post up some of my favourites once I have edited them.

Thanks again for all your help folks - really appreciated it! (y)(y)

DannyT said:
Well i now know that i definitely dont want to be a wedding photographer now!!

Yesterday was good fun though but very stressful. I see now why professional togs have at least 2 people taking pics on the day.

Ummmmmmmmm not all pro togs do.

Glad it sounds like you had a food time though. :)

Thought I would share some of the pictures with you. The bride and groom and their family loved the pictures and were really pleased with them.

Have attached some of my favourites below...

8165214206_b00964990d.jpg
[/url]
IMG_3431 by DannyToft, on Flickr[/IMG]

8165222916_dedcdea098.jpg
[/url]
IMG_3569 by DannyToft, on Flickr[/IMG]

8165190961_78d869f37e.jpg
[/url]
IMG_3593 by DannyToft, on Flickr[/IMG]

8165229282_3ebdc79ce8.jpg
[/url]
IMG_3775 by DannyToft, on Flickr[/IMG]