Well that lasted long! - MacBook Air screen failure

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
The screen on my MacBook Air M1 is now failing after a long life of just 5 months, the call to Apple went well and it's being shipped back to them for assessment in the next couple of days. To be honest after my issue with the 2018 MacBook Pro Butterfly Keyboard and now this I'm really hoping this is the last of it!

Anyone else had any issues with M1/M2 MacBook's?

IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6471.jpg

Ah thats annoying, happens to the best of us, my 2014 mac pro died within the first six months, Apple repaired it and its still going!

Never had a problem with any of my MacBooks, iMacs, Mac mini M1 or MacBook Air M2s, thankfully.

My M1 MBA has been going strong for almost 2 years, having said that it is used 90% of the time in clamshell mode, so the screen doesn't get much use. M1 Pro MBP is a wee bit older and also still going strong.

I'd have to go back to my 2007 MacBook for any issues, and even then it was a well known issue with the top of the casing, which Apple turned around for me whilst I waited.

Last edited:
My late 2008 Macbook had issues that were well known due to a design flaw - didn't stop the Applestore trying to 'discourage' me from getting it fixed. Hope you get it replaced OK.

I guess that would have been the same issue that mine had, Leicester Apple Store were really helpful with me.

I guess that would have been the same issue that mine had, Leicester Apple Store were really helpful with me.

Graphics chip issues causing an external monitor to blank for a second every minute or two. Fixed by main board replacement, I think they were shipped knowing that the problem was present, but not everyone would use an external screen.

I hadn't heard of that one - mine was used with an external monitor most of the time too.

There was a later model, last of the upgradable MacBooks IIRC, that had an overheating issue for the graphics chip that was never fully sorted. This conversation reminds me of the relief I felt when I replaced the MacBook with a Dell XPS, and it all just worked so quickly and without fuss.

Update!

They’ve collected my MacBook, repaired it, and now lost it.

It supposedly has been delivered to my house, signed for by someone who I don’t know, and apparently my house is in Cheltenham, 212 miles away from my actual address.

Apparently I now have to contact UPS :headbang:

Update!

It supposedly has been delivered to my house, signed for by someone who I don’t know, and apparently my house is in Cheltenham, 212 miles away from my actual address.

It never rains but when it does....... :(

It's Apple's problem, not yours. They are UPS's customer so it's them who need to do the chasing.

I tend to trust Apple more than I trust UPS, who once lost a one-off LCD screen that I was shipping back to my team in Asia for analysis.

Update!

The contract is between UPS and Apple, not you and UPS. I'd be strongly mentioning loss of personal details.

Last edited:
Update!

The MacBook turned up the following day and was left on my porch for 7 hours, which wasn't great but I assume that UPS had that option on file for me irrespective of the value of the item.

Unfortunately the MacBook did not boot, and reinstallation of MacOS did not resolve the issue. In the end a call with Apple on Monday ended with my MacBook Pro saving the day and managing to reinitialize the MacBook Air via DFU mode (effectively the Pro provisions and charges the Air with Updates and the OS, pretty neat!

Luckily all of my data is in the cloud and I have backups. And if I didn't have a spare Mac the laptop would be winging its way back to Apple again.

This was following it's trip to Apple, not a great outcome but it's all resolved now thankfully.

IMG_6570.jpg

USB-C Charger connected to the Pro, then USB-C connected to the port closest to the screen on the Air.

IMG_6591.jpg

TADA!

IMG_6592.jpg

Not the sort of service I would expect!

Back