Wells at Night

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Went for a walk this evening to try some long exposures

The Pano isn't great, but I'd appreciate any advice on how I could process it better-This is my first attempt so kinda let lightroom make the decisions.

Wells by Paul Adams, on Flickr

Wells by Paul Adams, on Flickr

All crit and comments welcome, thanks for looking.

No1 is a cracker :)

No2 pano, use the distrot tool or something similar an shove that left edge up and over a wee dram (y)

N°1 for me, but that glare from the light on the left (misty looking area) is a little distracting. But who I'm I to judge, I would be most happy if I could do half as well.

No1 is a cracker :)

No2 pano, use the distrot tool or something similar an shove that left edge up and over a wee dram (y)

Thanks. Is the distort tool something I can find in lightroom or does it mean going into photoshop?

N°1 for me, but that glare from the light on the left (misty looking area) is a little distracting. But who I'm I to judge, I would be most happy if I could do half as well.

Thanks for your comment, and yes, that light was a bit of a pain in the neck. Maybe when my PP skills improve I might be able to make the adjustments to selected parts of the image.

First ones very nice Paul, good reflection and like the way the leaves floating on the water curve round the building (y) It is personal taste, but I don't mind the light spill on the left :)

The 2nd looks a bit odd, as in the verticals all look to lean slightly left, like it needs straightening, apart from the right hand side of the church/abbey? then it looks like lens distortion.....:confused:

First ones very nice Paul, good reflection and like the way the leaves floating on the water curve round the building (y) It is personal taste, but I don't mind the light spill on the left :)

The 2nd looks a bit odd, as in the verticals all look to lean slightly left, like it needs straightening, apart from the right hand side of the church/abbey? then it looks like lens distortion.....:confused:

Thanks Phil, appreciate your comments. Number 2 is very much a work in progress, and was posted to get some PP advice as much as anything. I'm happy with the exposure and colours, but this isn't how the scene should look.

Thanks Phil, appreciate your comments. Number 2 is very much a work in progress, and was posted to get some PP advice as much as anything. I'm happy with the exposure and colours, but this isn't how the scene should look.

Paul, its only the perspective that looks odd,every thing else doesn't look far off. To me, it's like a mix of lens distortion and the need of some clock wise rotation to straighten it........but that would make the right hand side of the church lean right..........if you see what I mean :)

Did the grass in front of the buildings run down hill from left to right?

No it didn't, it is pretty much completely flat, I hadn't even noticed the grass to be honest, too busy looking at the buildings. Maybe I need to retry this one, although I used a tripod and didn't move the height or angle.

Like No. 1, I've a similarly composed daytime shot taken whilst on holiday down there few years ago. Smashing place. That second pano is bang on now!

2nd edit, the verticals definitely look a lot better Paul (y) but it does look like you've lost a little detail in the highlights from the first edit.

Do you shoot raw as well as j.peg? You may well be able to pull some more detail back :)

This was shot as Raw only, stitched and tweaked in Lightroom.

For the second edit I opened the edited raw file in Photoshop and used the distort tool, then saved as PSD and exported as a JPEG. I'm not sure which other way I could have done it?

Nice pair of shots and well worth going out for.
There is probably scope to improve a little, as the suggestions above say, but I would be well pleased as they are.
Reducing the light on the left side of the first should be possible with a slight gradient filter applied, so might be worth a try.
There is something a bit odd going on with the second pano, the alterations seem to have stretched the width and reduced the height, rather than just correcting the verticals, so something else going on too.
Sounds like this is local to you, so might be worth another try with a longer focal length. Somewhere around 35mm if you can still fit it in, should help to get rid of converging verticals providing the camera is kept level.
Hopefully something of use to you here?

Nice pair of shots and well worth going out for.
There is probably scope to improve a little, as the suggestions above say, but I would be well pleased as they are.
Reducing the light on the left side of the first should be possible with a slight gradient filter applied, so might be worth a try.
There is something a bit odd going on with the second pano, the alterations seem to have stretched the width and reduced the height, rather than just correcting the verticals, so something else going on too.
Sounds like this is local to you, so might be worth another try with a longer focal length. Somewhere around 35mm if you can still fit it in, should help to get rid of converging verticals providing the camera is kept level.
Hopefully something of use to you here?

That's very helpful thanks Steve, this is a few minutes from home, so I can re-try over and over until I get it right.

So the focal length should help with any lens distortion?

That's very helpful thanks Steve, this is a few minutes from home, so I can re-try over and over until I get it right.

So the focal length should help with any lens distortion?

Yes, a longer focal length will help prevent the verticals from distorting/converging, do try to keep the camera level if you can though. Might mean cropping a bit off the bottom after stitching them together. Hopefully you will be able to get back far enough to fit the height in?

The second doesn't so much for me as the Cathedral is so far off to the left of the shot, but I love number 1! Such great atmosphere to it.

The second doesn't so much for me as the Cathedral is so far off to the left of the shot, but I love number 1! Such great atmosphere to it.

Thanks Stu, I was never quite happy with the second, but with the advice given in this thread I am better prepared for my next attempt.

Back