Critique Wells Cathedral

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
After a trip to Cheddar a couple of weeks ago we decided to come home via Wells and I'm glad we did as this tiny city is awesome.

Walked around inside the impressive Cathedral and a couple of things caught my eye: the vaulted ceiling and the organ pipes.

4.jpg

4.jpg

Any thoughts, pointers?

Cheers

I do like the symmetry in those photos, I think architectural photography works best when the lens is symmetrical to the structure. Looking at the first image, however, I am left wanting to see more of the cathedral below and at the sides. I know you focused on the ceiling and probably even cropped the photo to showcase it better, but I feel that with places like this you need to see the whole thing at once, as in the aisle, the benches, the altar and everything else. The ceiling just works better in context of the rest of the cathedral. For that reason I'd recommend you use a wider lens. If you really wanted to showcase the ceiling, I'd tilt the camera vertically upwards. You are kind of stuck in the middle between showing us the whole church and just the ceiling.

The 2nd one is a cracker, and I'd agree the 1st one needs a wider POV or a wider lens.

Wells is indeed an absolute beauty though. Must go back sometime soon.

I can see the appeal of symmetry but find that it tends to be over-dominant in such images. Not that I have a better answer. This is also the kind of shot that often gets HDR'd to lurid death so congratulations for avoiding that trap! I would be inclined to ignore the points of view about the crop, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looking back at number one it does seem to need to be a tad wider - although unfortunately 14mm is my widest lens at the moment. Do you think this kind of image would lend itself to a stitched panorama?

Not too keen on HDR myself (although done properly it can look amazing) so steered clear in these images.

I think the second one is definitely my favourite.

I'll definitely be making a another visit at some point.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looking back at number one it does seem to need to be a tad wider - although unfortunately 14mm is my widest lens at the moment. Do you think this kind of image would lend itself to a stitched panorama?

14mm is quite wide if you have a full frame camera. If you have a crop sensor then it's not quite so wide.
There is no harm in trying to do a panorama. Photoshop can stitch photos quite nicely automatically (look at youtube tutorials). There is a quite specific technique you have to master though, but that comes with practice. Like making sure you have all the area you want covered and things like that.

Back