Welsh Waterfalls

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Off to visit some friends in South Wales tomorrow, going to then take a few days driving back north through mid and North Wales...

Anybody now of any little gems anywhere, I am really wanting to try some milky waterfall stuff, I have done a Google search which came up with a few but they looked very touristy not the type of hidden location I know is out there somewhere!

Wondering if there is any local knowledge that can help with some suggestions?

Cheers...Kevin

I know just the place. We have just returned from hol's near Brecon (assuming that's close enough).
There''s a waterfalls walk that you can do, which starts at Cwm Porth carpark - it's a few miles long and takes in some pretty steep and uneven terrain but as long as you are reasonably fit and able you'll be fine.
Information here ...
http://www.geoparcyfforestfawr.org.uk/enjoying/waterfalls-walk
It's all wayposted and a popular walk. You can stand underneath the falls at Sgwd yr Eira.
Here are some samples ...

Waterfall2_Brecon_August 05, 2010 copy by SimonR_UK, on Flickr

and

Waterfall3_Brecon_August 05, 2010 copy by SimonR_UK, on Flickr

as simon has pointed out..the above falls are great for taking shots of,and are without doubt the best wales has to offer.they are only two of about 9 noted falls,with a few minor falls in between.the full route is reconned to be approx 9.5 miles long,but having walked it last year with some members on here.it waqs logged as being 11.5 miles long on a GPS.here's a map of the route,which notes the position of the falls...

http://naturalhighs.net/waterfalls/falls00/ystradfellte-p0.htm

also,depending on which day,i may be able to meet up/join you and show you around these falls,or at least part of them as the full walk will take a full day to get them all in.here's a few i've taken in the past to whet your appetite..

SGWDYDWILLI.jpg

sgwddwilli2_filtered.jpg

DSC00711.jpg

Guys

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated and some good interesting stuff.

Really impressed with some of the example images as well that is the sort of stuff I want to try...will be well pleased if I get anything close to those images.

Stan the man, really appreciate the kind offer to meet up, unfortunately I am not sure when I will get there! We are staying with friends in Kidwelly and will move on when we feel like it, no fixed agenda. The map you have linked to, is it possible to park near the bottom section and do that short bit taking in the falls A, B, C & D looks to be a couple of miles...that would suit my needs as I am traveling with the wife and kids so can't spend too much time in one place.

cheers...Kevin

If you make it to Pistyll Rhaeadr, it's worth the walk to the top of the waterfall.

Stan the man, really appreciate the kind offer to meet up, unfortunately I am not sure when I will get there! We are staying with friends in Kidwelly and will move on when we feel like it, no fixed agenda. The map you have linked to, is it possible to park near the bottom section and do that short bit taking in the falls A, B, C & D looks to be a couple of miles...that would suit my needs as I am traveling with the wife and kids so can't spend too much time in one place.

cheers...Kevin

no problem kev..understand your predicament.if you want to shoot falls A,B,C and D,then it's best to park at the angel inn[post code SA11 5NR],and walk up the path to the right hand side of the pub,which is via a gate.walk for approx 3/4 of a mile until you come to a bridge,at this point veer left..this will take you to the angel falls.when you have finished here,back track to the bridge,then cross it to gain access to falls B,C&D.the 3rd and 4th sample images are of falls D,which are sgwd dwilli falls,so once you have shot these,turn back and walk to your starting point..good food and drink in the angel pub ;)

hope this helps (y)

stan the man

Stunning pics mate. Top notch.

cheers tony (y)

Last edited:
Back