Wendy & James (highlights)

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Just finished my first draft on this highlight video for Wendy & James (shot on Thursday the 2nd Aug) and am keen to get feedback before I do my final edit ready for client viewing.

https://vimeo.com/46981387

It was an amazing day and I managed to capture everything by myself using my Nikon D7000 and Sony HX20v.

Hope you enjoy watching it and look forward to your comments!

Cheers,
Phil.

To have shot this single handed is utterly amazing (and very, very brave). They should be really pleased. Some really lovely shots, and great editing. I hope the jitteryness on the the panning shots is due to compression for vimeo rather than on the source footage. Other than that though, loved it, really impressive.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I know the couple of shots, 1 being their first kiss. I'll get to work with warp stabilizer which I must have missed.

Yes, shot single handed - it wasn't that hard because I planned it so well before hand but yes - I was rushed off my feet!

I thought I had missed the groom putting the ring on but luckily caught it with the trusty gopro so all was not lost :)

Credit to my Sony HX20v which I love using for video, the quality & versatility always surprises me :)

This combined with a portable monopod enabled the fake steadicam & crane shots.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me some feedback.

PS: It's also the first wedding video I've ever done :)

I have a list of points that I'll be working on from one of Ridley Scott's associate directors (I'm lucky enough to personal train him - taught me about 80% what I know about video production!).

I'll do this over the weekend and post my re-edit.

I and he didn't feel there's much wrong with the fake steadicams for the most part, they are well controlled and exactly what they should be: steady...so on that part it's a disagree: but I appreciate the feedback.

It's important to look at the cost vs production value and the way I have managed to achieve this look with the minimal equipment used was well done. Had I of been working in a team of 3 with more equipment then I most likely wouldn't need to fake my steadicams :)

TBH: I don't see any shot where I needed a Steadicam anyway...?

Mostly ok. The music fits it well

The ending needs a tweak, when he leans down to kiss the bride at the speech and then he's standing back up it's a really awkward cut to him standing there. Needs to linger on the brides smile I think, don't think you even need to go back to him standing there.

joescrivens said:
Mostly ok. The music fits it well

The ending needs a tweak, when he leans down to kiss the bride at the speech and then he's standing back up it's a really awkward cut to him standing there. Needs to linger on the brides smile I think, don't think you even need to go back to him standing there.

Quite possibly you are right. The reason I put him there is because in the video it's clear to see (and everyone that this video means something to knows...) he is incredible nervous and that smile at himself at the end was the end of the story about James being so nervous and that he actually did a.good job.

I'll have a play and see what works best and decide on what will add most to the story :)

Cheers.

well if he needs to be there at the end then thats fine but the cut to him is really awkward, needs a longer linger on the kiss and the bride then a more gradual cut to him looking nervous.

joescrivens said:
well if he needs to be there at the end then thats fine but the cut to him is really awkward, needs a longer linger on the kiss and the bride then a more gradual cut to him looking nervous.

I'll pop a transition in to make it smoother. I'm doing all this today so 2nd edit up tonight or tomorrow.

Was pretty nice, just a shame that a lot of the shots were over exposed in areas. Perhaps a variable ND filter or a smaller appeture would have helped?

lolage said:
Was pretty nice, just a shame that a lot of the shots were over exposed in areas. Perhaps a variable ND filter or a smaller appeture would have helped?

If it's over exposed it's deliberate in PP such as the windows that are blown out...

New version up soon, I'm much happier with it now :)

Phil, your clients will be pleased with this. You should be proud of your work, as the filming, cutting and presentation is stunning.

What did you use for the elevated shots?

MarcM said:
Phil, your clients will be pleased with this. You should be proud of your work, as the filming, cutting and presentation is stunning.

What did you use for the elevated shots?

Thanks Marc.

I am very pleased with this considering it was a solo job and my rig was so minimal! I'm showing the couple next week so really looking forward to seeing their faces :)

For all movement shots it was shot with my Sony on a £20 (from Hesiod anyway) portable monopod.

To get it about 1.5m above headlight I'd just extend it and then move wherever. Using the Sony optical stabilisation and further steadying in post gave a real smooth result.

I like the moving shots composition and pull focus elements are a nice touch too out of interest how long will the finished wedding video be?

(y)

Think you've done well for a first wedding. Some really nice ideas but think that you need to invest in a little more kit as some of the shots you can see a lot of jittering.

It's a shame about the blur on the camera looking over the ceremony/down the aisle.

The talent and skill is there, just limited by the gear at the moment so well done.

On a side note, where is the music from? I've either seen it on here on another video or used on a StillMotion one.

You can never have too much bride in it either ;)

It's something I would love to do, just need to get my hands on a nice d800 and some rigs/mics etc and start learning all over again :D

Thanks mate I agree I was definately held back by equipment (as much as I love the hx20v it can't compete with a 5k dedicated camcorder). I don't think there are many shots there that are too juddery though???

You would have heard the music from lots of things I'd imagine ...its Nuvole bianche by Ludovico Einaudi.

I haven't followed this thread I'm afraid so I've only seen the final edit but I was very impressed and I'm sure the couple love it (y)

it looks good phil. A few points from me if you happen to want to do another edit

55 seconds - the cut from the doily to the child is harsh and it seems odd to see you in the mirror

1.50 there is a weird smudge in the middle obscuring the grooms face

2.44 - did you use a camera shake filter or something here, the background goes really odd wobbly

4.45 - the audio here is really tinny - is it just a vimeo compression thing?

it looks good phil. A few points from me if you happen to want to do another edit

55 seconds - the cut from the doily to the child is harsh and it seems odd to see you in the mirror

2.44 - did you use a camera shake filter or something here, the background goes really odd wobbly

I've had enough of this highlights - I've got to the stage of never wanting to watch it again LOL!

Anyway, your points answered...

That's not me - it's the photographer. I know upon first inspection it may look like me but if you check the angles out it's pretty obvious that it's not.

This is a scratch on the gopro lens cover from when it dropped on the floor one time. Found out on the day, nothing I could do but needed the shot.

Not sure what you mean Joe or can't see what you mean rather.

No, the audio is bad - I've never got round to buying a good pic so the shotgun I have is a bit rubbish. I have equalized and given some effect to counteract the hiss and hums so that is the sound we are left with. I think I'll be buying a decent mic as my next purchase.

Back