Went looking for a Kingfisher and got a Weasel :)

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I was sat waiting for a Kingfisher and this little chap came scurrying towards me across a small bridge. I was sat facing in the wrong direction to get a shot and my movement made him run back off the bridge.
From past experience I know that these little things are very tenacious and he would not give up :) The next time he came out I had a split second to get this shot. The area was in shadow so high ISO but was still happy to get a shot :) I have manged shots of Stoats before but this is my first up close encounter with a Weasel.

Early moring Weasel by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Great opportunity to capture this little fellow and a nice alert pose it is too, glad he came back for you :)

Thanks Gramps - wasn't ideal as I had the 500 and 1.4 TC. Perfect for the Kingfisher in good light but not ideal for the dark, shadowy bridge.

I opened up to F5.6 and slowed the shutter speed as much as I dare but still ended up at ISO4000. Luckily the Weasel was close and high ISO is more forgiving in that situation (more detail comes through)

Once it disappeared again I had a feeling it would be back so quickly took the extender off and setup at 500 F4 to try and get a better ISO. I did manage another shot and he did manage to get across the bridge (told you they are tenacious little things :) )

He was so close that the F4 gave only a tiny in focus area but I was lucky that one of my three shots got a good focus.

It finally came within 4 feet of me before disappearing into the long grass - I had to just watch as my lens won't focus closer than 4 metres. Still great to see :)

I needed it further away Ade - not closer ;)

I did try sqeaking when it hid for a few minutes but I think I sounded like a farty old man. I think I have lost the knack.

I am pretty sure it was thinking about having me for dinner at one point :)

Wonderful, I've been trying to get one for ages, never managed it yet.

Wonderful, I've been trying to get one for ages, never managed it yet.

Steve - best time is when they have young and need to catch more food - this means they are far more active than normal :)

If you see one and it nips into a hedge then get ready as most of the time it will pop back out to see if you are still there. They seem to be very single minded and don't like anything getting in the way of their plans :)

Its amazing what they will bring back to feed the young - here is a Stoat with a duck egg :)
Cheeky egg thief by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

That must make it light on the rear end, a Duck egg is a fair weight. :)

That must make it light on the rear end, a Duck egg is a fair weight. :)
They are remarkably strong creatures mate. Seen stoats dragging good size rabbits about that they have killed.

I've seen them taking Bunnies here, just never when I have a camera with me.

I believe Stoats can also capture & ride Green Woodpeckers.........Sorry couldn't resist that.:)

I've seen them taking Bunnies here, just never when I have a camera with me.

I believe Stoats can also capture & ride Green Woodpeckers.........Sorry couldn't resist that.:)
Hmmmmm, I'll pass on the gw shot. As an aside, I have found six dead stoats' this year all with bitten necks. Seems our warfare on mink needs to increase in its tenacity. I like stoats and weasels, vicious buggers, but only kill what they need. Mink on the other hand..........

Sorry for derailing your thread Dave.

Mink brings up the subject of the other type of shooting I do, I will confess to shooting a few Mink, lots around here due to a Mink Farm having it's whole stock released. That's going back a fair few years but the population is strong still.
Probably why I'm struggling to photograph Weasels and Stoats.
Anyway, back on track, fantastic pictures Dave, I look forwards to seeing more.

Mink brings up the subject of the other type of shooting I do, I will confess to shooting a few Mink, lots around here due to a Mink Farm having it's whole stock released. That's going back a fair few years but the population is strong still.
Probably why I'm struggling to photograph Weasels and Stoats.
Anyway, back on track, fantastic pictures Dave, I look forwards to seeing more.
Just cage them mate. Far more efficient. PM if you need some help or pointers, always wiling to help mink death.

Back