West End, Glasgow

Name
RJ
Edit My Images
No
RJ, I really like these, indeed this is really my sort of thing. They have the look of classic architectural pictures of the 70's and 80's. For me 2, 4 and 6 are the strongest, they have great lines and strong asymmetric composition.

The colours are also excellent, very vibrant and nicely saturated whilst remaining natural.

Not everyone will like the clinical look of this sort of shot but I really like this style, they exude a an sense of the abstract but also the strong feel of the post industrial corporate architecture of many of our cities. Great stuff!

I should also say I think these are really good for some one just getting into photography!

Last edited:
RJ, I really like these, indeed this is really my sort of thing. They have the look of classic architectural pictures of the 70's and 80's. For me 2, 4 and 6 are the strongest, they have great lines and strong asymmetric composition.

The colours are also excellent, very vibrant and nicely saturated whilst remaining natural.

Not everyone will like the clinical look of this sort of shot but I really like this style, they exude a an sense of the abstract but also the strong feel of the post industrial corporate architecture of many of our cities. Great stuff!

I should also say I think these are really good for some one just getting into photography!

Hi Adrian, many thanks for the feedback and kind words.

I can't say I'm very familiar with classic architectural pictures from the 70s and 80s; do you know of any examples on the web I could look at?

I've been finding myself drawn to geometric shapes recently, so I went out to see if I could capture these shapes or the relationships between such shapes with the camera.

Is this geometry (e.g., straight lines, right angles, etc.), however, why you think that these photos might be considered 'clinical'?

I'm definitely glad that you liked the colours, as it would seem to justify my purchase of a circular polariser a few weeks ago!

some nice photos was the guy at the window a friend or was he a stranger?

some nice photos was the guy at the window a friend or was he a stranger?

Thanks! The guy was a complete stranger; I think he was part of a crew doing some work on the building.

Some nice shots well worth getting up for number 4 with the guy taking life in his hands is my number 1

Thanks, I'm glad that I got up as well and just happened to be there for that one moment when the guy was up in the window.

Hi Adrian, many thanks for the feedback and kind words.

I can't say I'm very familiar with classic architectural pictures from the 70s and 80s; do you know of any examples on the web I could look at?

I've been finding myself drawn to geometric shapes recently, so I went out to see if I could capture these shapes or the relationships between such shapes with the camera.

Is this geometry (e.g., straight lines, right angles, etc.), however, why you think that these photos might be considered 'clinical'?

I'm definitely glad that you liked the colours, as it would seem to justify my purchase of a circular polariser a few weeks ago!

RJ, there are some great Architectural photographers, I am not sure about websites, I am sad and tend to still have books! Works by Julius Schullman, Ezra Stoller and more recently Andreas Gursky are in my view worthy of following up.

I think my reference to the 'clinical' geometry is both the simplicity of some of your images but also also the starkness of them to. This is exemplified in images No's 1,2,3. and 6. The lines in the shots are sharp and their is limited if any human presence. Again not al wil agree with me and my observations are very personal and based on my own interpretation of your work.

Oh and the circular polariser has really paid off!

I think my reference to the 'clinical' geometry is both the simplicity of some of your images but also also the starkness of them to.

+1

I think I enjoy No. 2 the best for this reason.

Nicely observed rhythm.

RJ, there are some great Architectural photographers, I am not sure about websites, I am sad and tend to still have books! Works by Julius Schullman, Ezra Stoller and more recently Andreas Gursky are in my view worthy of following up.

I think my reference to the 'clinical' geometry is both the simplicity of some of your images but also also the starkness of them to. This is exemplified in images No's 1,2,3. and 6. The lines in the shots are sharp and their is limited if any human presence. Again not al wil agree with me and my observations are very personal and based on my own interpretation of your work.

Oh and the circular polariser has really paid off!

Okay, I gotcha now. Yeah, I was almost exclusively focusing on the lines of the buildings, whilst intentionally trying to limit the human presence in the photos (which is part of the reason that I chose early on a Sunday morning to shoot), so I suppose that would make them seem rather stark.

I guess I personally like the simplicity of those pictures, although the human element of number 4 does add a lot to that photo...

+1

I think I enjoy No. 2 the best for this reason.

Nicely observed rhythm.

Thanks! I'd been eyeing up that building for weeks, thinking that it would be great in a photo. I'm glad that I finally grabbed the camera and took the shot.

Back