WESTON EXPOSURE METER

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I have a notice in the wanted section for one of these.
Prefer a mk111 or later and must be accurate and with invercone. Lots for sale on the auction site but I need one that works!
Anyone got one stuck away in a drawer please.

LOOKS AS IF I AM FIXED UP.
THANKS FOR LOOKING.

Last edited:
good call they are great but as to accuracy :)

Hi Peter,

I have a few Weston V meters knocking about and possibly an invercone too if i search hard enough

How accurate they are, I'm not sure tbh .

Let's not forget that these devices are knocking on in years so to be out by a stop is not unusual.

If they are out slightly but consistently so, then perhaps that wouldn't pose you a problem??

I can have a search and see what i can come up with if you're interested.

As for a price, I'll have to see what the going rate is and then double it :D:D....no, seriously i have no idea but we can discuss that in the other thread if we get that far.

One issue is that i live outside of the UK so postage might not be appealing.

Let me know your thoughts on this .

Don't worry mods, should this progress further, we'll sort it in Classifieds(y)

Thank you for your kind offer. I have already been offered two in the wanted section.
Peter.

Thank you for your kind offer. I have already been offered two in the wanted section.
Peter.

ok no probs...hope you get sorted.

If needs be give me a shout (y)

to be honest you would be better off getting a seconik 308 keep it in your back pocket and pop it out for the real numbers but have a western to wave about for cool effect :)

Looking at the prices of Weston's on ebay that would likely need a service, for £10 more you can get a Gossen Lunasix or Profisix. Think one a better buy. I have a Profisix that I use with my Nikon F. Runs off a 9v battery. Lovely meter to use & way more flexible with the attachment options, but a bit bigger than a Weston. Just need to make sure you find one that doesn't need a mercury battery. The older ones do.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your well meaning advice.

Let's not forget that these devices are knocking on in years so to be out by a stop is not unusual.

Someone I worked with, used to work for Sangamo Weston. He told me that they could easily be out by one stop when new!

Steve.

Someone I worked with, used to work for Sangamo Weston. He told me that they could easily be out by one stop when new!

Steve.

So could a lot of the older cameras shutter speeds. film also had less exposure latitude. But we all got by somehow.

Tbh i find myself using a meter less and less.....i can usually judge pretty well light values although i have to confess that i'll have a check if shooting slide film....not that i do very often.

Even built in camera meters usually get ignored, not least of all because they often pick up on the highlights and ultimatly stuff the shadows.....i prêter my own judgement most of the time.

This is why i have Weston meters knocking about but dont know for sure how accurate they are.....when i used them they were OK iirc but more often than not i could obtain a similar exposed résultats with or without their help.

Steve.
That doesn't surprise m tbhe and if it were thé case with some more modern méters, i wouldn't be shocked..

Steve.

Well without getting mine out of the drawer...IIRC you can adjust the meter...h'mm but you would have to calibrate with a known accurate one :rolleyes:

Well without getting mine out of the drawer...IIRC you can adjust the meter...h'mm but you would have to calibrate with a known accurate one :rolleyes:

The adjustment screw is to set the zero point of the needle. It doesn't really calibrate it.

Steve.

You can bodge it back into calibration if it's out by a little bit - but what are you comparing it with?!

Steve.

Suffering from GAS helps as you take a reading with all your five to fifteen cameras on something grey take the average exposure reading and see how the Weston compares :D

I could check my Weston Master II against my other Weston Master II then see if they agree with my other five or six meters... then go out and use sunny sixteen instead!

Steve.

I could check my Weston Master II against my other Weston Master II then see if they agree with my other five or six meters... then go out and use sunny sixteen instead!

Steve.

:D:D precisely .......been there done that and convinced myself that i'd never get exposure correct without finding a truly accurate meter !!
They offer a guidance, often a very good guidance, however nothing more than that. If the shot is under / over exposer it is an error on thé part of thé photographer

Anyway with old cameras the shutter speed could be slightly out and there must be a manufacturing tolerance of the lens aperture and there must be a tolerance on the ISO of film and considering neg film has a tolerance of at least 4 stops over and under and still produce an image and then considering home dev or say Asda then considering scanning or tolerance on paper in the darkroom........does a meter have to be absolutely accurate unless you can eliminate all variables.

Anyway with old cameras the shutter speed could be slightly out and there must be a manufacturing tolerance of the lens aperture and there must be a tolerance on the ISO of film and considering neg film has a tolerance of at least 4 stops over and under and still produce an image and then considering home dev or say Asda then considering scanning or tolerance on paper in the darkroom........does a meter have to be absolutely accurate unless you can eliminate all variables.

Thats a lot of intolerances!

Well all the film gear used by Nasa must have been near as dammit perfect, but for the rest of us ..........................;)

For NASA there is perfection, for the rest of us there is the blessed lady of latitude.

What matters more than inaccuracies is consistency. It's always been known that shutter speeds aren't all that they seem; and that with between lens shutters, the aperture affects the efficiency of the shutter. Apertures may not be as marked, as Ansel Adams notes (he checked the markings on his lenses so that he knew what was happening). There are also as noted differences in processing between individuals. For all these reasons, it's normally recommended that you establish the film speed that suits your equipment and processing techniques.

In passing - I have 3 Gossen Lunasix meters which do in fact agree with each other; and I process using a Paterson certified thermometer for which I have a spare that I can use to check the calibration. I don't use the NPL for testing :D.

Final point - not all great photographers have used meters, or even thought them a good idea.

A couple of years ago when I had a few Nikon bodies I found that there were some that metered to within 1/3 stop of each other (F3, F4, F100 I seem to remember), and these also were very close to my Gossen Digisix). That for me established a baseline (rightly or wrongly) against which I could judge others (such as the FE2 which seemed to consistently overexpose by comparison, often by as much as a stop). But as long as I don't shoot slide film it never seems to matter that much TBH!!

Incidentally (and that's a light meter joke, in case you didn't spot it), the Digisix is a great pocketable meter, if that's what you're after.

Or sadly, half the threads in our own OOF section :(

Funnily enough I was just thinking the same thing. The thread I started earlier about the natural eye would have quickly descended into mud-slinging and insults almost anywhere else but in this section.
Yet again F&C wins. :banana:

Leave it out you big southern jessie:bat:

Shove that western ip yer fat a@e ha ha

Back