Wet batteries

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Unfortunately some batteries for my Canon Cameras a 7DMII battery, RP and 40 all got put in water for 20 minutes or so.
They are now in rice.
Should I
a) chuck them
or
b) should they be fine?

Sounds bad :(

What type of water......de-ionised, tap water, river water, sea water???

Though, I doubt the batteries are sealed units so no way of knowing what effect water(of any type) will have on a Li-Ion battery????

Sounds bad :(

What type of water......de-ionised, tap water, river water, sea water???

Though, I doubt the batteries are sealed units so no way of knowing what effect water(of any type) will have on a Li-Ion battery????
Tap water

My wife dropped one of her Fuji x10 batteries in a local stream. It was there for over a day until I found it. Put it rice for a few days and it was good as new!
However we bought new ones just in case, it wasn’t worth the risk.

There are Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ion batteries.

AFAIK the Canon ones in the dSLR's are Lithium Ion......are the Lithium Polymer type equally at risk of swelling and fire that have been reported in the past in regard of Li-Ion?

As for the risk potential of charging and continued usage IMO without some absolute clarity on their further safe use, I would hesitate and probably decide it was not worth the risk???

I left them to try and then put them to charge - no water came out when charging and the temperature was the same as normal.
I then dried again and they worked fine no problems.

I left them to try and then put them to charge - no water came out when charging and the temperature was the same as normal.
I then dried again and they worked fine no problems.

Thats good to hear. I’d definitely have binned them.

Back