Wet or Dry ?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I cannot put if off any longer i must clean the sensor on my D300 - which method would you suggest wet or dry and what do you use ?

dirt.jpg

Use a wet then dry as the dry works better when you have used a wet ;)

Try a blow brush first of all to see if that can remove some of the dirt

Thanks cherryrig - The rocket blower has stopped moving stuff so i think i'll get an Artic butterfly & some cleaning fluid & wipes.

Do you not use the self clean option? or is it crap?

Do you not use the self clean option? or is it crap?

The photo of the dust spots if after a session with the rocket blower & the 'Clean' function - i have used the clean function to shift bigger bits of crap but it wont touch the smaller spec's.

The Arctic butterfly is brilliant. I had some pretty stubborn dust spots on my sensor, the blower did not get them off, but the arctic butterfly after a few runs over cleaned it perfectly, with not a single dust spot! I was really impressed!

Use a wet then dry as the dry works better when you have used a wet ;)

Try a blow brush first of all to see if that can remove some of the dirt

Whatever you do don't use a blower BRUSH - just a blower - like the Rocket blower. The brush could do more harm than good.

Do you use the self clean function often?
I have it set to run every time I turn the camera off, and I've never had a problem with dust spots over the last 6 months. I change lenses quite frequently, and my theory is that the self clean stops bits of dust from getting caked on the sensor.

I also clean my equipment quite thoroughly after using it. (oo-er)

Have a look at my comparison of the two methods HERE

Also... Not sure how you have taken the image but it doesn't show the dust spots particularly clearly, perhaps try the method the feller uses below:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/huOdzpl534k&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/huOdzpl534k&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Flashy

Ewwww... how can a sensor get like that? Looks like someone's sneezed over it :puke:

A.

Just normal use @ 9000 shots in 6 months with hundreds of lens changes mostly outside , i think most of it is pollen as its only the last couple of months that i have noticed it

Whatever you do don't use a blower BRUSH - just a blower - like the Rocket blower. The brush could do more harm than good.

Thanks i just use my rocket blower.

Do you use the self clean function often?
I have it set to run every time I turn the camera off, and I've never had a problem with dust spots over the last 6 months. I change lenses quite frequently, and my theory is that the self clean stops bits of dust from getting caked on the sensor.

I also clean my equipment quite thoroughly after using it. (oo-er)

I just used it every now & then but I've switched it on at pwr up / off now.

I have just used a sensorKlear by lens pen & its cleaned up the crap by about 95% (y) the last few bits aren't causing any problems.(y)

Back