Wet weather tips

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
So I'm up at Bempton next week and currently there is a severe weather warning for much of the week! index.jpg

I'll be taking my hiking boots, weatherproof hat, trousers and jacket, waterproof camera/lens cover & waterproof backpack cover.
I thought about securing ropes but decided against it, similarly my umbrella as I don't fancy impersonating Mary Poppins and flying out over the cliffs.

So what would you advise me to take/do to ensure that I can still have a useful photographic break? :thinking:

I dont know bempton but if the car is near by lots of spare clothes including underwear and towels.
Ive always found putting on dry clothes either at the end of the day to drive home/to accomodation or during the day can make a diference
Warm drinks - again if close to the car stove to make them/soup
lots of cloths to dry lens.

Don't forget the hides at Thornwick Roger, at least you'd be out of the rain, in high winds owt can drop in

Filey dams is also worth a look, we've been up a couple of times on rainy days.

The first hide is next to carpark and can get birds fairly close for some photos, the main hide is a short walk, fairly large and is elevated with views to 3 sides, good for a few flight shots

Carpark is where I've put the black cross, the road leading up to it is residential, don't think you're in the wrong place as its not where you'd expect to be driving to a nature reserve.

Filey dams.JPG

A bin liner in your bag would be a useful bit of insurance.

For really wet weather I prefer a good quality small camera (RX100) to my DSLR.
Much easier to stash it in an inside jacket pocket.

Well arrived yesterday after a very wet journey up, by the time I arrived (mid-afternoon) it was fairly dry but the wind was blowing a gale, I ventured up to RSPB Bempton Cliffs and the first viewing platform and it was so windy that even the birds were keeping a low profile ... on to my digs!
This morning the heavy rain has disappeared (until lunchtime apparently) but the infamous Bempton Mist is covering the whole area of the reserve and inland from Bempton to Filey, clear in Filey but even so affecting the Filey Dams so not much opportunity for bird photography at the moment.
No sun around so the mist isn't going to burn off, hopefully it will just push off before the rain starts again this afternoon, cest la vie :)

Whichever way you look it’s thick fog atm ... Gannet in the mist (phone shot).

33458352-189E-4CE9-904C-F7FD43CE8494.jpeg

A small window of opportunity around 2:30pm, maybe I can salvage some :)

Golden oriole reported at South landing early afternoon Roger, somewhere around the top path where we looked for the Tawny chicks

Back