Wet Whipsnade Wildlife

Name
Bat-Frog
Edit My Images
No
I'm always amazed how happy they seem to be sitting in the pouring rain.

I'm always amazed how happy they seem to be sitting in the pouring rain.
Looks like the poor little bugger is "frozen" At least he is trying to keep the important parts warm :D

Oh bless the little meerkat - he does not look happy! Nice to see a cheetah in the rock for a change - they're all been piled into the other shelter every time I've been for AGES.

Oh bless the little meerkat - he does not look happy! Nice to see a cheetah in the rock for a change - they're all been piled into the other shelter every time I've been for AGES.

Thanks Fi.
The cheetahs...why they put that ugly new "shed" in the enclosure is beyond me. :(

I had hoped to glimpse the new baby Red Panda, but there was no way on such a grotty weather day. :(

Last edited:
Nice little set, Ruth. Intrigued by the Lynxes' green/blue chins though - is it a reflection from the platform (although that would surely show on their tummies too?) or have they been feeding on blue dyed meat.

Intrigued by the Lynxes' green/blue chins though
Obviously a cold wet day, they were feeling Blue (sad) :D

Definitely a bit under the weather. :( But probably plenty warm enough! They now have a pair of brothers at Escot (now part of the WildWood setup) who are getting more used to their enclosure and visitors, especially now there are fewer screaming brats (I know not all brats scream but too many do!) annoying them. They can often be seen in close proximity like Ruth's shot shows.

The blue still intrigues me. DZP has a meat processing plant on site and supplies other zoos/wildlife parks with blue dyed meat (so it is easily spotted if it enters the human food chain).

Fear not. The blue has arisen because I edited on the laptop rather than the PC.
That'll teach me, won't it?! :LOL:
Thanks for commenting though, @Nod

I hope you've learned your lesson, young lady!!! :p

AFAIK, the blue stained meat would still be fine for humans to eat but has to be so stained since it's not been processed in a factory which conforms to the more stringent regulations concerning food "fit for human consumption"! Perfectly OK for animals - after all, zoos aren't likely to deliberately harm their prize guests.

after all, zoos aren't likely to deliberately harm their prize guests.
There was a great quote in on of Gerald Durrels books, years ago.
Paraphrasing .. someone offered him a large amount of beyond its best fruit and veg for free, as its "only" for the animals.
He declined saying, if you won't eat it, I'm not feeding it to my animals..

I hope you've learned your lesson, young lady!!! :p

AFAIK, the blue stained meat would still be fine for humans to eat but has to be so stained since it's not been processed in a factory which conforms to the more stringent regulations concerning food "fit for human consumption"! Perfectly OK for animals - after all, zoos aren't likely to deliberately harm their prize guests.

Lesson learned Uncle Noddy....Hanging my head in shame.

Given we live in a world where folks are happy to use cleaning and personal hygiene products which "kill 99.9% of all know bacteria - dead", instead of exposing ourselves to bacteria for fear it may kill us in our sleep, I'd be happy to forego a few more of the "stringent" regulations.
(I'm betting the cancer [other vile diseases are available] rates would drop too.)

Reactions: Nod
instead of exposing ourselves to bacteria for fear it may kill us in our sleep
Yeah you don't see many kids eating mud pies with a side order of worms these days do you?

Or nowadays the minute someone gets mumps / measles or whatever they are quarantined, they used to be sent out to play with the other kids,
and encouraged by the "other kids" mums too...

I was sent to a chicken pox party as a kid to get it over with before summer! Mrs Nod was not so lucky and had it as an adult...

Back