wex return product under warranty at my postage cost?

Name
Kenny
Edit My Images
No
Just a quick question, I have a faulty product which I purchased from wex (warehouse express) in July last year, I was told on the phone had it gone faulty in January then they would have collected the item, but as its now into its 7th month then I have to post back to them at my cost.....does that seem right and is that correct procedure?

I'd be interested to know folks thoughts

You don't mention what the item is, so I presume the postage costs are substantial.

On the basis that if you had bought the item from a high street store and it went faulty, you'd have to return it to the store at your cost so I don't see the problem. Full details are in their T&C's so you knew the rules before you bought.

4.9 Any refund due to a fault or other defect within the first 6 months of purchase will include a refund of the delivery charge. We will also pay for your costs of returning the goods (up to £10 UK and £20 Non UK) for replacement or refund providing you have not had the goods longer than 6 months. Outside of 6 months you will be responsible for covering the costs of returning the goods, we strongly recommend you use an insured method such as Royal Mail Special Delivery. Replacement goods are sent by standard delivery only (i.e. premium services are not available)

Their terms are actually better than what they have I offer. What is the item and what is the problem?

Thanks for your partially helpful replies, I have used them many times but never had a faulty product, so I wasn't aware of the t n C's, it just felt a bit odd, but there is no problem, just was looking to see if this was normal, seems it it
Cheers
Thread closed

If you purchase from a shop in person then you have to return at your cost, if you buy on-line then under the distance selling regs it is their responsibility, a lot of companies online will still say at your cost but once challenged they usually fold!

However this can be dependant on the item, if they pay for a return but it appears to be faulty because of misuse they are entitled to charge you for a repair and the cost of getting it back to you again.

Hope that helps a little

Distance selling regs only allows you a 7 day period after receiving goods to change your mind.

It does not cover returns for faults.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained/

See point 11.

"In the case of faulty goods being returned because they are not fit for purpose do not match their description or are not of a satisfactory quality, the customer is entitled to claim the cost of postage from you or to request that you arrange collection of the item."

Point taken but it's now over six months and the OP is not inferring the goods are 'not fit for purpose' or 'not of a satisfactory quality' or 'do not match their description.

Also, as it's over six months, he/she not WEX, has to prove the goods were faulty when he/she received them.

admirable said:
Point taken but it's now over six months and the OP is not inferring the goods are 'not fit for purpose' or 'not of a satisfactory quality' or 'do not match their description.

Also, as it's over six months, he/she not WEX, has to prove the goods were faulty when he/she received them.

My argument would be that the item 'branded non wex' would fall under 'not fit for purpose' or 'not of a satisfactory quality' that's why I was surprised by me being liable for the postage which was £10

You haven't said what it was so it makes it kind of hard to give precise info.

It could be specially ordered 3 rolls of film and you've just opened the 3rd box to find the seal has gone in the packaging or it could be a 1D MkIV?

admirable said:
You haven't said what it was so it makes it kind of hard to give precise info.

It could be specially ordered 3 rolls of film and you've just opened the 3rd box to find the seal has gone in the packaging or it could be a 1D MkIV?

Ahh sorry I've been sending these from my phone, its a studio flash head used about 10 times and the locking nut that is meant to secure it on the stand has completely sheared off, rendering it not safe to use. In my eyes not fit for purpose and maybe poor quality

POAH said:
Oh FFS post it back not going to cost much is it.

That's not the point and with an attitude like that please don't bother posting on my threads please!

if it was not fit for purpose it would have failed sooner not 6 months later... if it broke on first use that would be a whole new ballgame.

That's not the point and with an attitude like that please don't bother posting on my threads please!

You posted a thread on a public forum, so it is not your thread. If it belongs to anyone, it belongs to the site owners. Not that they would would much care for it I would imagine.........:D

Distance selling regs only allows you a 7 day period after receiving goods to change your mind.

It does not cover returns for faults.

Completely wrong! IF you change your mind YOU pay the return postage.IF the goods are not as described or faulty The seller has to pay the return postage. :rules:Distance selling regs.

kestral said:
Completely wrong! IF you change your mind YOU pay the return postage.IF the goods are not as described or faulty The seller has to pay the return postage. :rules:Distance selling regs.

Not after 6 months......

Is the bolt replaceable - i.e can it be removed from the thread? I take it that it's something like the locking nut on the angle tilt of the head? I'd just replace it myself if it were me and if that works, just carry on using it......

theboss said:
if it was not fit for purpose it would have failed sooner not 6 months later... if it broke on first use that would be a whole new ballgame.

This isn't correct, there is every chance that something might fail after six months, not least because it depends on how frequently it was used.

Furthermore there is scope in the Sales of Goods Act to cover upto and possibly in some cases beyond 6 years after sale. Ok so after 6 months the onus to prove it was a defect that was present at the time of sale is on the customer but it can and does happen.

e.g. Recent case involving some makes of Dishwashers and Fridgefreezers that were failing after 4-5 yrs and in some case beyond.

If, as in this case, the "fault" came to light (if you'll pardon the pun) more than 6 months after the date if purchase/receipt then it's up to the buyer to prove that the goods were faulty at the time of purchase, rather than the damage was caused through normal wear and tear or misuse.

If it's just a minor part that has broken then I'd imagine the best you can realistically hope is that WEX will send a replacement out for the broken bit....

Well there really is a significant amount of misinformation in this thread in the form of people believing you have little to no rights.

You do actually have a lot of rights. Read the gov links provided. Specifically those relating to 'not fit for purpose' & 'satisfactory quality'.

I've been through this myself with consumer direct and the knowledge has proved invaluable in politely but firmly asking for a matter to be escalated to a manager and explaining my rights under law and asking for the refunds entitled.

The last 2 cases were a set of studio lights from wex that broke within a week and another set of studio lights purchased from another shop that blew up 3 times and were returned 1.5 years after purchase for a full refund.

So, don't believe the nonsense the shop assistants try to fob you off with and learn what you need of the law. Then give them a call and be calm, polite & firm.

kestral said:

I know . If you had read my post as a rely to the previous one you would see that I was saying DSR will not cover returns after 6 months for a fault.

Just to clarify my situation as there us some wild guessing going on.

Interfit head, already back with them
The locking nut is part of the head design.
The head used about 10 Times, not misused, thrown about, still stored in original bubble wrap bag.

The bolt has never been an issue until last Friday when setting up for a shoot, the bolt along with the moulding just broke away in my hand whilst fixing head onto its stand.

My argument would be that it's not fit for purpose and it's only had light use, so had it had heavy use, the bolt would have gone much sooner.

It's only £10 postage, the cost is irrelevant, it's the principle that the heads not fit for purpose

I would much rather if your going to comment on this thread that you actually read it first and try to stay around the facts presented here

Cheers
Kenny

cameradaft said:
Just to clarify my situation as there us some wild guessing going on.

Interfit head, already back with them
The locking nut is part of the head design.
The head used about 10 Times, not misused, thrown about, still stored in original bubble wrap bag.

The bolt has never been an issue until last Friday when setting up for a shoot, the bolt along with the moulding just broke away in my hand whilst fixing head onto its stand.

My argument would be that it's not fit for purpose and it's only had light use, so had it had heavy use, the bolt would have gone much sooner.

It's only £10 postage, the cost is irrelevant, it's the principle that the heads not fit for purpose

I would much rather if your going to comment on this thread that you actually read it first and try to stay around the facts presented here

Cheers
Kenny

There's a very simple, if somewhat unscientific, way to determine if it is a design fault - Google it, if it is then there are bound to be posts from previous dissatisfied users.

Tbh, after reading your last post though it sound more like user error, or at best a warranty claim. It'll be interesting to hear what WEX have to say....

Flash In The Pan said:
There's a very simple, if somewhat unscientific, way to determine if it is a design fault - Google it, if it is then there are bound to be posts from previous dissatisfied users.

Tbh, after reading your last post though it sound more like user error, or at best a warranty claim. It'll be interesting to hear what WEX have to say....

Interesting you have come to the conclusion of user error, I'm really not sure how though as there's not really any way to get it wrong, you put the head on the stand and turn the plastic moulded nut. When the nut and plastic moulding broke up in my hand, the ferrel it was screwing into also ended up my hand.

Could you explain how you came to the conclusion in my last post, that you think it sounds like user error?

Cheers

cameradaft said:
Interesting you have come to the conclusion of user error, I'm really not sure how though as there's not really any way to get it wrong, you put the head on the stand and turn the plastic moulded nut. When the nut and plastic moulding broke up in my hand, the ferrel it was screwing into also ended up my hand.

Could you explain how you came to the conclusion in my last post, that you think it sounds like user error?

Cheers

Simply because there is tightening involved.

Simply because there is tightening involved.

ok, but its definatley not user error. If I thought for a moment it was my fault, I would never have posted a thread about it.

lol thanks for all you comments, some helpful some less than, but equally thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

An item does not have to have a design fault to get a refund.

Where did I say it did? :shrug:.

Is it the bottom part of this assembly that has broken? If so why not just contact Interfit directly and explain the situation, I'm sure they'd probably just send you the part.

ohutkl.jpg

For future reference, Interfit are one of those companies that just rebrand cheap Chinese stuff, most of their gear can be found on Ebay under different names for a fraction of the price....

Update on my repair......

Head replaced brand new, postage refunded.... result and a fair one at that.

I'm not surprised. I have used WEX for many purchases and in that time I have had to return an item. They were excellent in their approach to my problem. I will use them in future without reservation.

Yellowbelly said:
I'm not surprised. I have used WEX for many purchases and in that time I have had to return an item. They were excellent in their approach to my problem. I will use them in future without reservation.

Hmm if I am honest I had to get quite tough with them as interfit were taking the ....... But fair dog's they came good in the end.

Back