Wex trade in.

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone know if they will buy your kit and send you the money or do you have to use it at Wex?

I know MPB will credit your account but it looks by Wex's email you are offered a credit note for future shopping only.

Terry.

That's correct, wex are credit only, two things annoyed me when I almost sold to them, firstly was how critical they are when valuing the kit (I don't see how they have any A+ stock when they devalued a 60D I sent in that had been used no more than ten times), secondly they hid the fact they were only offering credit right until the very last second when I rung them and asked directly

Oh and I once sent in a macro lens and flash and they threw away the defusers, granted they apologised and gave credit when I complained but it did seem to sum up their valuers

Last edited:
I didn't know that either ... offered a bit of kit once but price was so poor I didn't go through with it :)

I used WEX recently. They gave me the highest valuation of the three or so I contacted, explaining it was via a credit note. Upon taking my kit in for evaluation they gave me what was offered. Well pleased.

What I wish is that they would be up front about it, I was going to sell my entire Canon setup to them (several thousand) but refused as soon as I realised what they were up to, it would have saved me time and hassle and them postage

To be honest in their quote email to me they did say it was for credit for future shopping with them.
I just didn't know if they would give me cash instead.

Try Harrison cameras seem bit more straight forward money paid into your account.
GEORGE.

Have done no research but bet that in general a partex deal obtains the higher value - no good if you want cash of course.

MPB tend to be quiet good on trade in or straight sale sold a few bits to them no problems

Reactions: BBR
I had the same problem with park cameras with my lenses for P/X. One I was told had fungus in it. When I challeged the "boy" took it away and then came back and said it didn't, which I know darn well it didn't". Other lenses so critical I nearly walked out of the shop. You are better selling on Ebay if you give a true description of the item for sale or put it up on here. He "the boy" didn't even know what stock he had. I wanted a Nikon new version of the 70-200mm lens. After searching his computer he said we don't have any in stock until new comes in end of April. Behind him about 10 ft away in a display cabinet was guess what? yes a brand new lens that i was after, he didn't even bother to find out using his eyes. These kids as so bound up in checking on computers ,say no more.

Last edited:
I had a quote a couple of weeks ago for the sale of my 7D with 4430 actuations from both Wex and MPB. Wex was £340 and MPB was £310. The difference was probably due to the credit note from Wex and cash from MPB. Wex didn't make it clear that their transaction was for a credit note.

I'm just in the process of doing this with Wex - part-exing a 1D Mark III and a D700. When you fill out the form on their website, the email response clearly states that credit will be raised.

I'm just in the process of doing this with Wex - part-exing a 1D Mark III and a D700. When you fill out the form on their website, the email response clearly states that credit will be raised.

You are correct, Roy, I obviously didn't read the email properly...:(

Once the equipment has been received, inspected and verified to be as described a credit will be added to your Wex account that can be used against future purchases. You will usually receive a confirmation email within 5 working days of us receiving the goods.

I got more than original quote very pleased good service....

I would be grateful to know how you get on with a 1D Mark IV from Wex Roy, I am looking at one there too, they have about 6 in at the moment. For a photography company their photos of used equipment are low quality, its hard to tell the condition. Much better photos from MPB and Camera Jungle.

Asked MPB about Olympus kit for trade in did not want to know will probably send it to ffordes they will do part exchange, cash or commission sale. They also seem very fair with prices.

I would be grateful to know how you get on with a 1D Mark IV from Wex Roy, I am looking at one there too, they have about 6 in at the moment. For a photography company their photos of used equipment are low quality, its hard to tell the condition. Much better photos from MPB and Camera Jungle.

I bought my current 1D Mark III from them three years ago, and am now trading it back. I'm trying hard to get rid of some cameras, and am - even now - considering cancelling the 1D Mark IV and having a Nikon D4 instead. I've been quite impressed with the D700 I have (bought from eBay, with the intention of 'making' me choose between Canon and Nikon) and in certain circumstances, it's better (with old Ai lenses) than my original 5D with EF lenses. Canon is just more familiar to me - in terms of AF lenses - and I'm worried about shipping all of my EOS gear, just to find out the Nikon equivalent is not my cup of tea.

I know .... madness. :banana:

Last edited:
Park cameras has a 1D Mark IV, complete for around £1200 at the moment...

£2300 for a mint 500! Definitely on the low side given prices I have seen. I sold 2 lenses and a camera bony on eBay recently, it went smoothly and I got more than the part exchange offer. I guess the profit margins are low for the retailers ?

The grey market has had an effect on the 2nd hand prices I think.
With new kit they have to pay a fixed amount to the manufacturer so I think They're trying to make up the shortfall on the 2nd user kit.
Well, it's what I'd do.

I had read that the margins are low for new price equipment. I agree they are likely to be trading in used, as it makes a tidy profit. Grey seems to be common, I think the survey on here said most would use the grey market. Not used it personally, but it's tempting me!

My stuff is packed and ready to go. Wex send pre-paid postage labels by email, so that makes things a little easier. Hopefully by this time next week I'll be trying out my 'new' 1D Mark IV. For any users: how does it compare to the Mark III? I know the spec differences, but what's the real world advantage?

Park cameras has a 1D Mark IV, complete for around £1200 at the moment...

I was interested in Parks used. I did contact Park Camera's to enquire about the shutter count on their 1d IV, they told me that they don't display Shutter Counts for Canon Units, as the software that reads this information provides unreliable information for Canon Units specifically.

I guess a body could be approaching the manufacturers rated life span.

Not suggesting Park are anything other than reputable, and I did read that shutter counts aren't reliable and that perhaps too much emphasis is placed on them. It put me off a little.

My stuff is packed and ready to go. Wex send pre-paid postage labels by email, so that makes things a little easier. Hopefully by this time next week I'll be trying out my 'new' 1D Mark IV. For any users: how does it compare to the Mark III? I know the spec differences, but what's the real world advantage?

Good stuff, I would love to hear your views on the 1d IV. This time last week, I was about to push the bottom on a used Wex 1d IV as well!

Going to go for a 500 F4 lens to combine with my 5d 3 instead (for now). Although I do fancy a faster FPS!

Had a big quote required so sent it MPB and WEX yesterday, MPB offered over £400 more for the gear, which was 20% so quite a difference.

It would appear that MPB offer a much better part ex. That's good to know. I have heard good things about MPB, they have plenty of used stock as well.

I had a D750 and 24-120 for sale on here with not much interest being shown, contacted MPB who are paying more than I was offered on TP and have arranged for DPD to pick it up - given a 1 hour timeslot for today when its being picked up.

I went from a 1D III to a IV, and it does everything much better!!
What i've really noticed is the IQ improvement, better high ISO, it clears the buffer MUCH quicker (use it for sports/wildlife a lot), and the rear screen is a huge improvement.
You should be 'well chuffed' as us oop North say!

One thing to watch with WEX for anyone considering them for selling a body is that they occasionally do a trade-in bonus deal, which bumps up the value (even though they seem to drop their valuations a bit at the same time!)

Back