Beginner Whale watching

carmot

Suspended / Banned
Name
john conlin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi going whale watching I have a Nikon d750 which lens would be best to take on the boat a Nikon 16 35mm 105 macro Nikon 70 300mm Nikon 24 120mm

It all depends on what you will want to remember!

The odds to have a whale at the right place are slim so better be ready for
everything. I would take them all except the macro. This way you can cover
from 16 (for boat shots) to 300mm (if your not too lucky).

Well, you're not hiking with them, so take them all. Aim to record the experience of the day, rather than just trying for that award-winning whale shot. You might get lucky, but they're pretty hard to shoot. I'd choose a sunrise/sunset trip for the best chance of interesting lighting that can make an otherwise dull shot of a whale's back more interesting. Consider polarising filters, too. The mist from a blowhole can generate a rainbow, and the polarising filter will intensify those colours. Polarising filters can help with several other aspects of marine photography. Darker blue skies, turquoise water, better cloud definition, less glare from the water. You also have a chance of getting a half-decent shot of a submerged whale is you are lucky enough that one swims under the boat.

Well, you're not hiking with them, so take them all. Aim to record the experience of the day, rather than just trying for that award-winning whale shot. You might get lucky, but they're pretty hard to shoot. I'd choose a sunrise/sunset trip for the best chance of interesting lighting that can make an otherwise dull shot of a whale's back more interesting. Consider polarising filters, too. The mist from a blowhole can generate a rainbow, and the polarising filter will intensify those colours. Polarising filters can help with several other aspects of marine photography. Darker blue skies, turquoise water, better cloud definition, less glare from the water. You also have a chance of getting a half-decent shot of a submerged whale is you are lucky enough that one swims under the boat.
Good answer. Very thorough and very clear.

Take your 70-300. It is the most versatile.
If you are in an open boat you don't want to be changing lenses - salt sea spray ! For the same reason take some thing to cover your camera when not shooting.

Back