What a nause.

Really you are wrong, they are a distraction. Photography is about photographs not gobs on sticks.
I know you’ll disagree, because you’re sucked into that world, but ‘most’ photographers really don’t give a toss about vloggers They’re completely irrelevant to 90% of us.

No Phil, I'd disagree because I form my own opinion on what I see unfold. If I was suckered into anything I'd make it my business to shoot Sony! I agree with most of what you say but not that photography as we know and love it is changing. Not quite as dramatically as I suggested, but if it was as you imagine why is every new model incoming more a video-camera than photography tool? That 10% sure do have some sway for their number, forget the vloggers, it's the masses of followers switching to their way of thinking that is making the difference [this echo chamber you speak of] - I can't even afford to be part of it, even if I was 'sucked' in. Anyway, not sure if it came across but my post was more 'jest' than 'alas' to begin with ;)

Doesn't matter either way what you or I think or say, we're only a drop in the ocean.

Last edited:
I like to see the exif but... Shock... Horror... I don't feel brainwashed, I don't feel the need to run out and use those exact same settings and I have enough awareness to know that it's also about the subject and the light.

I just think it's nice to know what kit and settings were used. That's all.

I also like a little comment, not some meaningless art speak but something like "It took us all day to get here and we were freezing but it was worth it to get this..."

PS.
When I used to write technical stuff I always used to include what test kit I'd used. Something like "The following test was carried out on xx/xx/xxxx using an Oujifuji Model XYZ which was calibrated on... and the readings obtained were..."

I like feedback comments that don't even mention gear or settings too, even if it's just "Aw cute kitty, how old is she?" - as opposed to "Nice snap" :D

I like feedback comments that don't even mention gear or settings too, even if it's just "Aw cute kitty, how old is she?" - as opposed to "Nice snap" :D

Yup. I think it makes things more personal and enjoyable and less dry.

No Phil, I'd disagree because I form my own opinion on what I see unfold. If I was suckered into anything I'd make it my business to shoot Sony! I agree with most of what you say but not that photography as we know and love it is changing. Not quite as dramatically as I suggested, but if it was as you imagine why is every new model incoming more a video-camera than photography tool? That 10% sure do have some sway for their number, forget the vloggers, it's the masses of followers switching to their way of thinking that is making the difference [this echo chamber you speak of] - I can't even afford to be part of it, even if I was 'sucked' in. Anyway, not sure if it came across but my post was more 'jest' than 'alas' to begin with ;)

Doesn't matter either way what you or I think or say, we're only a drop in the ocean.

I don't think they're more video that stills but just incorporating video more to sell more stuff to more people.

Whenever I get a new camera the first thing I do is go through the menu and turn loads of stuff off and after that it doesn't bother me and I can get on with shooting still pictures.

I don't think they're more video that stills but just incorporating video more to sell more stuff to more people.

Whenever I get a new camera the first thing I do is go through the menu and turn loads of stuff off and after that it doesn't bother me and I can get on with shooting still pictures.

More than they ever were before at least, I don't think anyone can argue against that. Which is fine, I mean I like the odd dabble with video, and it's nice that it's getting much better with newer tech - but I can just as well live without it for the very odd 2 minute clip of the kids messing about - the memory would mean as much to me if filmed on some old cheap compact with basic video function.

There's this notion evolving along with that if we pay too much heed to these vloggers/reviewers/tech heads that we're part of the problem - well, it's just like watching the news, you like to keep informed, doesn't mean you have to get involved.

Right at this minute I'm reading an article titled 'Our 10 favorite vintage lenses you can buy right now' - totally sucked in :D [also I'm not sure why they added the 'right now'] - Maybe I shouldn't be reading it as I can't afford most on that list even!

One thing about using old MF lenses, just to get back to topic, is most of the exif data is hidden [only camera data will show, SS/ISO] And if you do add some info about the lens used and your set up, you will often get asked about the settings that aren't showing - Aperture + FL [if you haven't given the full lens title] - if you used any filters, was this the distance to subject etc ..

Last edited:

That's because you bought a Sony A7 and use manual lenses on it. ;)

Back in the 1970s when I started reading Amateur Photographer it always baffled me why the photos often had what would now be the exif data printed in the caption

It amazed me that people could remember - or perhaps they had a little notebook they wrote everything down in.........

I expect it is the people who spend most time in the equipment forum who will be most anxious about knowing the exif data of the photos they see.

Last edited:
It amazed me that people could remember
Or they sent their article into the magazine, the editor came back and asked for the settings for each picture and they just sent back their best guess because they hadn’t taken notes, who would ever know?

It amazed me that people could remember - or perhaps they had a little notebook they wrote everything down in.........

I expect it is the people who spend most time in the equipment forum who will be most anxious about knowing the exif data of the photos they see.

I spend a bundle of time in the equipment forum.
I love lenses, cameras and all the gorgeous engineering in them.

I have no shame.:canon:

Look at it this way , I drive to a location usually a hour or so , spend a few hours taking a assortment of shots , drive home , upload to computer , spend time sorting and then editing the best of them , then post to Flickr , faceberk and groups , then then to a couple of forum groups for that interest , I.e wildlife ,nudes, landscapes etc and now you want us to spend time adding camera details .. don’t think it’s gonna happen do you :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Back