Beginner What am i doing wrong now?

I recommend a book called understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson. It is great especially when first starting out.
I agree, except in this situation none of the advice Peterson gives would improve the shot. He doesn't really cover the issue of, "that's the wrong shot to take under the circumstances".

I recommend a book called understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson. It is great especially when first starting out.

Agreed... I have read this and it clears so many questions up for you. And maybe one of his other books "Understanding Composition".

Last edited:
Understanding Exposure must be the most overrated photography book ever.

Makes no mention of the histogram or exposure highlight warnings (blinkies) only two of the most important aids
used in digital photography.

moved to lighting and studio thread but relevant to OP question

Last edited:
Understanding Exposure must be the most overrated photography book ever.

Makes no mention of the histogram or exposure highlight warnings (blinkies) only two of the most important aids
used in digital photography.
Whilst this is completely true
Oh bugger I just ordered it [emoji17]
This shouldn't bother you too much, you appear to favour reading books, and that book hasn't been bettered (which is an awful shame).

IMHO there's better learning to be had from the Internet.

There's lots wrong with these - but to mention one, the lighting has been your enemy - look at the shadows!

Oddly, I can see the makings of a photograph in the window reflection, never mind the dog!

But back to purpose - the dog hasn't been best rendered head-on. It's the sort of mobile subject where you've got to experiment wth a lot of takes, and choose and learn from them.

There's lots wrong with these - but to mention one, the lighting has been your enemy - look at the shadows!

Oddly, I can see the makings of a photograph in the window reflection, never mind the dog!

But back to purpose - the dog hasn't been best rendered head-on. It's the sort of mobile subject where you've got to experiment wth a lot of takes, and choose and learn from them.
ok thankyou for your comments, things to work on

I haven't read all your posts so I'm not sure if you have done a basic course or anything but there are some great stuff online that can really help with the basics. This one... Fundamentals of photography 2016 by John Greengo is a solid primer. It is free to watch live, runs from about 5pm to 12pm and each day's videos are re-broadcast the following day in case you missed bits. Starts 25th Jan.

I haven't read all your posts so I'm not sure if you have done a basic course or anything but there are some great stuff online that can really help with the basics. This one... Fundamentals of photography 2016 by John Greengo is a solid primer. It is free to watch live, runs from about 5pm to 12pm and each day's videos are re-broadcast the following day in case you missed bits. Starts 25th Jan.
No never done a course.
Im teaching myself ( well trying to lol ) with the help of books and this group.
Thankyou ill look

For ISO outdors many photographers use 200 and dont touch it.Remove auto.
After that is also true about white balance, that you have to experiment but aproximatly between 4800 and 5200 is the zone of use normamaly.
And lightroom is most important and shooting in RAW.

For ISO outdors many photographers use 200 and dont touch it.Remove auto.
After that is also true about white balance, that you have to experiment but aproximatly between 4800 and 5200 is the zone of use normamaly.
And lightroom is most important and shooting in RAW.
Thankyou, Raw always sounds really complicated :/

I agree with @droj Donna ... none of the images are attractive in any sense .................. sometimes it is good if you tell us what you think of the images, do you think the composition is good, what were you aiming for and did the image turn out as you expected, did you feel that you were in control of the camera/lens technically

In the UK with moving subjects like dogs, it is once in a blue moon that there is enough light for ISO 200 to give a sufficiently high shutter speed. For a jumping dog you need a minimum of around 1/800. Don't be put off by raw. It is not complicated, honest! It gives extra flexibility if you want to use it, but there is nothing wrong with jpgs either. Any decent editing suite will cope with raws - most people use PhotoShop, PhotoShop Elements or Lightroom, and they all do a similar job. I find PSE quite intuitive but could never get my head around Lightroom, but they all have free trials so try them all and see what suites you.

Thankyou, Raw always sounds really complicated :/

Hello Donna, if I've ever had to explain just about anything to do with photography it's always sounded a bit complicated to me! :D

But the RAW learning curve might just come together as you play around with it and see how much you might need it. Get a few RAW images and see what changes you can make in whatever software you have or will get. Doesn't matter if you mess up--you don't need to save anything and you can undo as you play.

The OP's posted examples have good whitebalance and no need for extended dynamic range : both of which are improved, processing-wise, by using RAWs.
Therefore in my opinion the OP should stick to Jpegs and concentrate on composition and shutterspeed.

Back