What are people's thoughts on the grey market area websites?

• Thread starter Deleted member 91540
  • Start date
There is already a sticky thread coming all aspects of grey imports.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...rey-imports-and-other-assorted-topics.512133/

If you use the search function with the words ‘grey imports’ there are enough previous threads that cover this subject without needing to start another :popcorn:

I'd think every aspect of photography has been covered at some point , the forum would die pretty fast if it turned into a photography version of wikepedia

I've bought a Nikon lens from Panamoz and saved nearly £400 on UK prices

It was delivered in 6 bus days, shipped by FedEx where I could monitor delivery progress. Panamoz seemed very helpful, I was very impressed.

For the guy posting above, the Panamoz site confirms "All import and customs charges are covered by us ". That statement would stand up very well in a court of law
In contrast to your link: https://photographylife.com/gray-market-camera-gear.

Its actually the large companies profiteering with MSRP and funding their service centres. The Nikon warranty may be an issue but Panamoz give a 3 year warranty.
HMRC would be all over these places which have been running for years if it was illegal.

My package from them didn't have
any customs labels on it.
It was sent from a UK warehouse which they must ship to first.

That is only a recent thing I was chatting to them about it the other day. It is cheaper for them to do it this way as when it reaches the U.K they can use DPD as the courier which is cheaper than shipping direct using TNT.

However at the moment using as they call it the “DPD method” takes around 2 weeks. They have went back to shipping direct with TNT for now to cut down on the delivery time.

What did Panamoz put on the customs declaration - contents and value?

They used to put toy parts the last one I had from them they put camera accessory. Value was very low from memory the last said about £30 for a £1500 lens.

On this topic, anyone know a valid discount code for panamoz? Have a body in the basket ... not often I use those words.

Are you able to register the lenses with Sony if buying from Panamoz. After spending a couple of grand with Park Cameras this month, I face the choice of either the 16-35 F4 with Park Cameras or the 16-35 f2.8 via Panamoz for 300 quid more.
I'm presuming not but the EU warranty made me wonder..
Never shopped with grey sites before so not sure If I'd be happy not registering my lens, though Panamoz offer an extra year over the 1yr extended via Sony registration

They used to put toy parts the last one I had from them they put camera accessory. Value was very low from memory the last said about £30 for a £1500 lens.
Seems_896144_2814289.jpg

Has anyone actually managed to register their grey import with the actual manufacturer?

Has anyone actually managed to register their grey import with the actual manufacturer?
It is meaningless, it doesn't register it for warranty or anything else but is a useful reminder of serial number, date of purchase etc.

Damn, looks like Im teaching myself how to shoot wide then :)

Have used Panamoz, no probs. Gear comes with 3 yr UK warranty. Had the ubiquitous Nikon D750 shutter issue. Returned to Nikon UK for free shutter replacement and it came back with a gratis service, including sensor clean.

Back