What are the benefits of upgrading from Lightroom v.5.7 to 6???

Name
Phil Marion
Edit My Images
No
I currently use Lightroom 5.7 with a Canon 5D3. I am not a gearhead so I don't have plans to buy a new camera though I realize my 5 year old camera could use a refresh. For me, photography is a passion. While I earn a few thousand dollars a year on Getty Images, my decisions about photography are based on it as a hobby, not a critical source of income. I have just returned from a trip to Myanmar and am only now reading about Adobe's decision to stop supporting the stand alone version of LR. I have zero interest in the subscription version as I fully expect Adobe to dramatically increase the monthly rate once they've enticed enough people to subscribe and load their raw files on to their servers.
LR 5.7 seems to suit my needs but I see Adobe has one final upgrade available to me: LR 6. At the time of its release it didn't seem too tempting of an upgrade for me...I was thinking of waiting for LR 7 (which will never be). So i am wondering if I should do this last upgrade from LR 5.7 to LR 6 before Adobe takes that option away.
Are there any benefits to upgrading from 5.7 to 6.0? I've heard performance speeds up for some, slows down for others.
So here is what my PC runs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Lightroom v. 5.7, CPU: i7-3770K with 32 GB of RAM and graphics card Radeon RX 460 with OpenGL® Version 6.14.10.13497 and OpenCL™ Version 23
Are there any upgrade benefits and cons for me going from LR 5.7 to 6 ??? Are there any upgrade pitfalls? Does LR 6 still use the Process 2012 engine conversion? Any new or improved tools that aren't in v.5.7? I've read some people have been able to unlock the Dehaze tool in LR 6 using presets. Any other big picture things I need to consider like LR 6 not working on a future Windows version (like W 11)?

I had Lightroom 5.7 and the only reason I updated to 6 (latest/final release 6.13) was because I bought a Canon 80D that was not supported by 5.7.
If you are happy with 5.7 and are not planning to update your camera, I would stick with 5.7.

I too have v5.7, (running on Mbp(. I've wondered about getting v6, but can't see the benefit, so keen to know from those that made the change.

the benefits are you won't be tied into the tyranny of the CC monthly payment that is Adobe :beer:

You can but V6 as standalone. It's what I did.

Facial recognition, improvements in performance, the graduated filter tool has some finer controls, dehaze

I have been pondering this very question over the past couple of months primarily to get a working Map Module which, in 5.7, no longer works due to some changes in Google's coding I believe. I see that earlier today the latest (and final) version, 6.14, has been released so maybe it's time to bite the bullet (and guarantee that Google make more coding changes within the week!).

Thanks everyone, I actually just finished the 7 day trial of LR Classic. Don't feel it does much over LR 5.7 except for the dehaze slider which seemed worthwhile addition once I learned how/when it was best to use it. It gave me access to the recent photoshop but I do little in it - probably because I don't know how to properly harness it's power properly. I'll probably just stick with 5.7 or upgrade to "6.Whatever"

You can but V6 as standalone. It's what I did.

Facial recognition, improvements in performance, the graduated filter tool has some finer controls, dehaze
Dehaze is in the standalone l version?

Recently updated from 5 to 6 but definitely went for the standalone version. Main reasons were panorama and HDR functions and more up to date lens profiles. Interesting the link to down load the dehaze function. Anyone downloaded it and used it on a Mac?

I see that earlier today the latest (and final) version, 6.14, has been released

Anybody know where can get a copy 6.14 upgrade (Standalone)?

Back