What are the white spots on this image?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I took a picture of a spider earlier on today with my sigma 105mm macro lens... shot at f32, 1/160th shutter and iso 100. with an on camera hotshoe flash with standard bounce card to direct light...
(this might be the white spots!) however some of them don't seem in a uniform position? Some is on the non reflective hair of the spider, some is on the underside of the legs, and some is on the front, or top of the spider... could anyone explain this please?

I'll link flickr with a full high res image to show the detail.

DSC_7725.jpg by Andrew Gray, on Flickr

Thanks

Dust on lens? Maybe the memory card ? Do a check against a plain darkish card and see If it occurs again same setup.it Is a process of elimination of what was used .

Last edited:
The lens appears to be immaculate. I'll take some test images tomorrow without a flash to rule anything out untoward. The try a different card.

Not sure how dust on the lens would create those spots. I’m thinking it’s something reflecting the flash. Looking on your other photos some of the big spots are occurring in the same place even though you lowered the point of view. Is there any chance of microscopic water drops on the hairs of the spider are reflecting the flash? The white background could be reflecting the flash upwards hence the spots are appearing on the top, sides and underside of the spider.

Last edited:
Looks like dust on the spider rather then from lens or camera.

Keith's answer is what I guessed when I saw the shot. On my screen the spider is around 5x magnified so the dust on its carapace would be pretty much invisible at life size.

Looks like dust on the spider rather then from lens or camera.
Where the image is sharp, the spots are sharp...where the image is blurred the spots are blurred.
All of the spots are on the body and upper legs of the spider. Obviously non can be seen on the white background, but there are non visible in the shadow.
Conclusion. Spots are on the spider not the image.

Yep...as above, they are on the spider and reflection the flash

Back