What are you all using for resizing images ?

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
I'm trying to find out the best programs for image resizing, I have Onone resize, and I tried Gigapixel for resizing an image yesterday, Gigapixel seemed much better than Onone, as it rendered the image detail better, (a portrait shot) the only thing I found was it took a long time to save a single image from Gigapixel, it's also about £90 for the program, so could anyone please tell me what other programs, I should be looking at, that will render details better, leaving out the free ones, as I've tried faststone resize in the past, and didn't find it any good.

Over to you guys please.

I can only reflect that Topaz Gigapixel is a maturing product i.e. they are progressively making it more improved each time and though I don't use it a lot I find it good.

As for the speed of processing, what graphics card are you using and is its driver up to date?

Last edited:
As for the speed of processing, what graphics card are you using and is its driver up to date?

Just updated the program to the latest version, but still slow in processing, and saving, not sure I will buy this, even if the final result is good

Application & Version: Topaz Gigapixel AI Version 6.2.0
Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2009
Graphics Hardware: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 473.81
CPU RAM: 32749 MB
Video RAM: 2048 MB
Preview Limit: 3511 Pixels

Just updated the program to the latest version, but still slow in processing, and saving, not sure I will buy this, even if the final result is good

Application & Version: Topaz Gigapixel AI Version 6.2.0
Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2009
Graphics Hardware: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 473.81
CPU RAM: 32749 MB
Video RAM: 2048 MB
Preview Limit: 3511 Pixels
Your GPU is sub optimal.....I used to have the GT610 and upgraded to the GTX 1050Ti and that is fine though only just.

FWIW when I started with Gigapixel it defaulted to CPU processing as the GT610 was inadequate. Once I installed the GTX 1050Ti and that was used by Gigapixel....the processing speed was IIRC 4x quicker than CPU.

Min specs here

The min spec GPU on that page is the GTX 740.

Last edited:
Reactions: TG.
Your GPU is sub optimal.....I used to have the GT610 and upgraded to the GTX 1050Ti and that is fine though only just.

FWIW when I started with Gigapixel it defaulted to CPU processing as the GT610 was inadequate. Once I installed the GTX 1050Ti and that was used by Gigapixel....the processing speed was IIRC 4x quicker than CPU.

Min specs here

The min spec GPU on that page is the GTX 740.

I've just seen, that the image it saved came out as 57mb, which is obviously massive, compared to the 4mb image I started with, so I'm guessing this has a lot to do with it, I obviously did something wrong in the process.

I've just seen, that the image it saved came out as 57mb, which is obviously massive, compared to the 4mb image I started with, so I'm guessing this has a lot to do with it, I obviously did something wrong in the process.
Not too sure but I think, early on, there was some discussion about how best to achieve very large upscaling. I think it was suggested to do it in two stages e.g. x4 then x6

FWIW the few upscales I have done have been max x4 and mostly much lower.

I'm trying to find out the best programs for image resizing, I have Onone resize, and I tried Gigapixel for resizing an image yesterday, Gigapixel seemed much better than Onone, as it rendered the image detail better, (a portrait shot) the only thing I found was it took a long time to save a single image from Gigapixel, it's also about £90 for the program, so could anyone please tell me what other programs, I should be looking at, that will render details better, leaving out the free ones, as I've tried faststone resize in the past, and didn't find it any good.

Over to you guys please.
I can't help directly, but this video might be useful. I can't really remember the content, but I think he came to the conclusion that the free RawTherapee, using the Lankzos method, gave the best results. I know you said leaving out the free ones, but Raw Therapee is an exceptionally good, if tricky to learn, open source option.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_Aa1yR7G8&t=47s

How big do you want the portrait to be? Interested in the use case

in Adobe photoshop elements2020 and earlier versions resizing is easy. Just hit the "expert then image" Tag and watch my short video for you

BEST SEEN IN FULL SCREEN MODE

Video link

HOPE THIS HELPS
View: https://youtu.be/k--mEVIF6Iw

Last edited:
There is or was a program called Photozomm (I think) that had a load of different options and did a decent job. I found perfect resize marginally better than Photoshop, but not enough to be worth the hassle of using two programs. I now use photoshop.

How big do you want the portrait to be? Interested in the use case
I'm just looking for a 12x10 print, but it not so much the upscaling size, that's easy, it's the quality, i.e. the difference in Onone resize AI and Gigapixel AI is quite different, Gigapixel giving much better rendering, on the details of faces, for example, however the file size coming out out 57mb is crazy, and obviously that's why it takes a while to save, something between 5-12mb should be fine for a 12x10 print. I am clearly doing something wrong in the saving process

I'm just looking for a 12x10 print, but it not so much the upscaling size, that's easy, it's the quality, i.e. the difference in Onone resize AI and Gigapixel AI is quite different, Gigapixel giving much better rendering, on the details of faces, for example, however the file size coming out out 57mb is crazy, and obviously that's why it takes a while to save, something between 5-12mb should be fine for a 12x10 print. I am clearly doing something wrong in the saving process
Are you making the print yourself, or sending it out to a printer?

If you doing your own printing then Qimage One might be worth looking at;

Are you making the print yourself, or sending it out to a printer?

If you doing your own printing then Qimage One might be worth looking at;

No sending it elsewhere

No sending it elsewhere
Pity, as it does a very good job of matching resolution and sharpening to print size. The original version of Qimage (still available, but windows only and more expensive) outputs to file as well as printers, but this Multi-platform version is tightly focused on high quality printing.

Hi.
I have nothing to add but am eager to learn why it is necessary to upscale.
I'm not a professional but have had quite a few prints done over the past couple of years. Some bigger but most around 12x8 or 16x12 to my eyes they look good but maybe they could be better. Be good yo know if I'm missing a trick.

Gaz

Interesting thread , I’ve got a picture of a bird that needs resizing as it’s a small blob in the frame , Stone Curlew didn’t want to get too close and disturb it but can’t justify buying a program just for one image so RawTherapee sounds perfect thanks for the heads up on that :):)

No sending it elsewhere
Ask the company printing it what their resolution advise is, for example is it 300dpi?

Increase the size of your image to 3600 X 3000 pixels @ 300dpi in the Gigapixel settings. Then send that to the printers!

I can now confirm that RawTherapee does an excellent job of upscaling images
The image that I mentioned, the bird didn’t give a very good result but that was because the original image quality wasn’t good enough.
I ran some other shots with RawTherapee though and the results were excellent

Actually, at 12 x 10 x 600^2 x 32bits it's about right without compression.
Well it doesn't come out of Photoshop that size, without compression !

Back