What are you classing as the midlands

Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Shropshire, Birmingham and Wolverhampton, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire. That's about it I think.

But someone will be along in a minute or two to argue about it.

Last edited:
My take on it is:

Derbyshire
Gloucestershire
Herefordshire
Leicestershire
Northamptonshire
Oxfordshire
Shropshire
Staffordshire
Warwickshire
Worcestershire
Rutland
Bedfordshire

But it's a little hard to completely define as say someone in the very south of Oxfordshire is more likely to consider themselves part of the southern region

My take on it is:

Derbyshire
Gloucestershire
Herefordshire
Leicestershire
Northamptonshire
Oxfordshire
Shropshire
Staffordshire
Warwickshire
Worcestershire
Rutland
Bedfordshire

But it's a little hard to completely define as say someone in the very south of Oxfordshire is more likely to consider themselves part of the southern region

Nottinghamshire & most of lincolnshire too surely? ;)

I tend to draw a rough a line from the wash down to milton keynes, then across to bristol - below that is south or south east/west.... the another from roughly the mersey across to grimsby-ish - above that is the north [of england, before the scots say anything ;) ] - everything that is left in the middle is the 'Midlands' [or wales] :D

I'd call Gloucestershire the south west. We don't get midlands TV here, we are on itv west and bbc points west.

Yv said:
Nottinghamshire & most of lincolnshire too surely? ;)

I tend to draw a rough a line from the wash down to milton keynes, then across to bristol - below that is south or south east/west.... the another from roughly the mersey across to grimsby-ish - above that is the north [of england, before the scots say anything ;) ] - everything that is left in the middle is the 'Midlands' [or wales] :D

Yeah those two too (y) in my defence I'm tired and I've still not shot my POTD

TCR4x4 said:
I'd call Gloucestershire the south west. We don't get midlands TV here, we are on itv west and bbc points west.

See again Gloucestershire it depends what part, in can be in Gloucestershire within about 30 minutes from my house straight down the fosse way

I think you've hit the nail on the head. You're in the Midlands if you get Midlands TV. :)

Derbyshire stretches well north of Manchester. That certainly isn't the Midlands.

My take on it is:

Derbyshire
Gloucestershire
Herefordshire
Leicestershire
Northamptonshire
Oxfordshire
Shropshire
Staffordshire
Warwickshire
Worcestershire
Rutland
Bedfordshire

Bedfordshire? Really? Never thought of myself as living in the Midlands. Also, you can get a train (commuter) from here to London in less than half an hour so I always still consider myself as living in the South East.

Also, I work in Oxfordshire and I also don't think of that as he Midlands. I'd say that Northamptonshire was the southern most county in your list that I wold think was part f the Midlands.

i'd say my take on what midlands is what shows below - with the line in the middle being East/West divide. Very rough mind you. Should perhaps include top of Lincolnshire, and lose the top of Cambridgeshire but you get the picture....

england-county-map_zpse58a0741.jpg

Bedfordshire? Really? Never thought of myself as living in the Midlands. Also, you can get a train (commuter) from here to London in less than half an hour so I always still consider myself as living in the South East.

Also, I work in Oxfordshire and I also don't think of that as he Midlands. I'd say that Northamptonshire was the southern most county in your list that I wold think was part f the Midlands.

The thing is though Marc, if you take say a 50 mile radius of the centre of Birmingham, you encompass parts of all that I've mentioned I believe, as for example for me I can be in part of Bedfordshire in approx 30 minutes, as thats roughly how long it takes me to be in Milton Keynes, or about 15 minutes to enter Oxfordshire, as I've said above, parts of the counties can be considered midlands

Where does South Yorshire fit in ? We border Derbyshire ..just curious if we classed as North England or Midlands ?

& before you ask....I never was any good at geography :LOL:

Lynne ive always thought of yorkshire in its entirety to be north, although i agree its close, but someones got to draw the line somewhere, just whos job is it? :LOL:

The thing is though Marc, if you take say a 50 mile radius of the centre of Birmingham, you encompass parts of all that I've mentioned I believe, as for example for me I can be in part of Bedfordshire in approx 30 minutes, as thats roughly how long it takes me to be in Milton Keynes, or about 15 minutes to enter Oxfordshire, as I've said above, parts of the counties can be considered midlands

To be fair, that can put many parts of many counties in a number of regions.You mention Milton Keynes but Buckinghamshire isn't on your list. I live in Bedfordshire, but I'm a 10 minute drive from Buckinghamshire and similar to Hertfordshire so it does depend on which county your in.

To be fair, that can put many parts of many counties in a number of regions.You mention Milton Keynes but Buckinghamshire isn't on your list. I live in Bedfordshire, but I'm a 10 minute drive from Buckinghamshire and similar to Hertfordshire so it does depend on which county your in.

Yeah that's my bad, I got the wrong county there :bang:

But this is the issue, the is a fair amount of fluidity as to what is consider to be where :wacky: and I'm sure the good people of Banbury, Oxfordshire do not consider themselves to be southern but the good people of Henley-on-Thames most likely wound not consider themselves to be part of the midlands

or another example is Morton-in-the-Marsh, Gloucestershire this is about 30 minutes from me and I'd considerer it Midlands but you've got Stone, also in Glocestershire, but this is only 15 miles from the centre of Bristol :eek:

TCR4x4 said:

I live in Gloucester. On freesat we get ITV West (Bristol an Bath) but on freeview we get Midlands tv.
I find Gloucester seems to be neither Midlands or South West really - nobody wants us!

Back in the day when growing up in Milton Keynes we used to get Anglia, Central and London/LWT over the air....so is MK the East, Midlands or South East?

Im in Bedfordshire and this does irk me as certainly anyone I know that lives here classes themselves as being in the East / East Anglia, and I moved here from Ireland 22 years ago.

I hardly ever come in the meets section due to this issue as some seem to class Beds in the East, some in the Midlands :-/

So what we saying is

we dont really know :)

Correct(y)

I tend to find the Midlands border is a very "changeable" thing dependant on which way the wind is blowing and if its raining or sunny:LOL:

I was born in Coventry so I guess I'm 'from' the Midlands even though I grew up in the North West of England.

For me - when somebody says 'The Midlands' I think of:

Warwickshire
Derbyshire
Leicestershire
Northamptonshire
Staffordshire

Go any further East or West and I just don't tend to think of it as the middle LOL

I was born in Coventry so I guess I'm 'from' the Midlands even though I grew up in the North West of England.

For me - when somebody says 'The Midlands' I think of:

Warwickshire
Derbyshire
Leicestershire
Northamptonshire
Staffordshire

Go any further East or West and I just don't tend to think of it as the middle LOL

Ahem?? Worcestershire is in the Midlands thank you :bonk:

I was always told 'The North' starts at the River Trent.

Of course there is south north and north north and then Scotland.

The Midlands; Consists of Shropshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Birmingham and the Black Country etc, Staffordshire, Warwickshire. Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Rutland, Nottinghamshire, Most Parts of Lincolnshire.

The West of England; Somerset, Bristol and Avon, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire

The South West; Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, Lundy, I O S

The South; Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, I O W

The South East; London, Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Middlesex, Hertfordshire

The East; Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

The North; Yorkshire and Humberside, and the North of Lincolnshire

North West; Cumbria including Westmorland, Lancashire, Cheshire,

North East; Northumberland, Durham, Etc

Although Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire could also be classed as The East, or South East

Last edited:
Huntingdonshire ? Gone!

I always thought the Midlands was Birmingham and Wolverhampton. :(

Back