What are your thoughts on the new Canon EOS R8?

Edit My Images
No
Released in april 18, Canon r8 seem like the best possible budget camera for people who wants both good photo and video performances from one camera to me. I am very excited to buy this camera but is there anyone who experienced it? What are the pros and cons?

From what I see it's an R6 mkII with some ergonomic challenges and the small battery will be a PITA.

So for the same money I'd personally buy an R6 mkI and not have the compromises.

Can the full frame RF bodies take RF-S lenses? If so then maybe a good choice for those looking for FF on a budget.

Can the full frame RF bodies take RF-S lenses? If so then maybe a good choice for those looking for FF on a budget.
If RF and RF-S is anything akin to the dSLR EF & EF-S then it is the other way round...

The crop bodies could use either lens but the FF bodies could not be used with EF-S lenses but this IIRC was down to the avoiding the mirror hitting the protrusion on the rear of the EF-S lenses

So, with mirrorless bodies like the Canon R series..... i.e. no mirror I too wonder what the situation is???

I think they’ll fit, but put the camera into crop mode (like Nikon).

That’s certainly what happens if you fit an ef-s lens onto an R5 or R6.

But I don’t see how that helps to do FF on a budget as instantly it’s no longer FF. however using 30 year old EF lenses is definitely a great budget option.

A £400 EF70-200 2.8L is a bargain, and the R6 makes it a better lens than the mk 1 IS. There’s loads of other examples of classic top tier EF lenses, or even great consumer lenses like the 28-105 which is optically great, built like a tank and is about £100.

Starting from scratch w brand new lenses, the new R series aren’t a cheap option, but for people who either already own EF lenses, or are prepared to think creatively then it doesn’t have to cost the earth.

Last edited:
I think they’ll fit, but put the camera into crop mode (like Nikon).

That’s certainly what happens if you fit an ef-s lens onto an R5 or R6.

But I don’t see how that helps to do FF on a budget as instantly it’s no longer FF. however using 30 year old EF lenses is definitely a great budget option.

A £400 EF70-200 2.8L is a bargain, and the R6 makes it a better lens than the mk 1 IS. There’s loads of other examples of classic top tier EF lenses, or even great consumer lenses like the 28-105 which is optically great, built like a tank and is about £100.

Starting from scratch w brand new lenses, the new R series aren’t a cheap option, but for people who either already own EF lenses, or are prepared to think creatively then it doesn’t have to cost the earth.
I totally agree! Using older EF lenses or looking for budget-friendly options can definitely be a smart way to get into full-frame photography without spending a fortune. The fact that Canon's R6 or R5 cameras can work with these lenses and even switch to crop mode for EF-S lenses is a great feature. It opens up possibilities for photographers to make the most out of their existing gear or find some great deals on classic EF lenses, giving them access to full-frame capabilities without breaking the bank. Of course, everyone's situation is unique, and personal preferences always play a role in camera and lens choices, but the advice i can give is just that there are no actual differences between an EF lens and a RF lens but RF is way more expensive.

Back