What bag for mountain biking?

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I've recently taken up mountain biking and I really want to take my Nikon D5200 / 18-55mm lens with me to capture a few moments with my friends. I've been using a Lowepro Photo Hatchback which is a great bag but in the time it takes me to get my camera out my friends have lost interest and the moment has passed. Can anyone recommend a small waist or sling type bag that will allow me to get fast access to my camera but won't get in the way of cycling?

I use the Lowepro Slingshot 102AW

For me it's perfect when cycling as I can stop, use the quick release catch without removing the whole bag and gain quick access to my camera whilst staying on my bike (one foot on the ground) and my bad remaining securely attached to my body! It has plenty room for my camera with a 55-200 lens attached plus my kit lens and some other bits and bobs in a spare compartment. It also has a fold away tripod holdy bit and a nice weather cover too! Hope this helps!

Lowepro photosport 200aw is the best bag I've used ft mtbing with a camera. It has a waterproof bladder compartment, space for camera with lens plus extra lens and a decent compartment for kit....

It depends how patient your friends are.

The quickest way I've found to carry a camera and have it accessible is to wear in a top loading case strapped to my chest. I use two stretchy neoprene straps across m back and it is stable and works well, even on technical sections. You can also carry a normal pack for water, clothing, spares etc. I have a Tarmac case but I can't remember the number, might be the 5627. Ortlieb do one which is waterproof and comes with a proper chest harness. I believe you can get one for the lowepro toploader bags too. Just remember you'll need four attachment points (either separate loops or two loops and belt loops) to get the cross to work properly.

I've always found having a camera on my back a real faff. It sounds like having it strapped to your chest will get in the way but it doesn't at all. You can also ask n the singletrackworld forums as they have pretty good advice on bike photography too.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all of your replies - that is really helpful information. I'll look into all the suggestions you have made.

See if Crumpler have anything suitable, I was looking at these myself, but wanted something less obvious as a camera bag.

Think about what would happen if/when you come off the bike. When cycling or motorcycling, you don't want any hard lumpy things attached to your body. Much better to attach them to the bike somewhere.

Steve.

You don't want to strap a camera to a mountain bike! Your body acts as a big shock absorber when it's in a bag, saves the camera from even more of a beating. The lowepro has a bladder between you and th camera as well as padding, it all helps in the case of a fall. I have a chest harness designed to fit onto a lowepro bag (toplader I think) and it was a good way of carrying it for access bu felt like it restricted my riding a little. You're welcome to it fr a few quid of postage if I can fin it.

It really depends on what you value the most - your body or your camera.

It's possible to attach a bag to a bike with enough padding to ensure it isn't shaken to bits.

Steve.

I've taken a few falls with my camera attached to my chest and had no problem. I've never landed flat on my chest! I'm sure it's also safe on your back too. I don't like having any weight on my bike, it's hard to secure and limits mobility in my experience. But that's just my preference.

Back