What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

A Shoveler Duck at RSPB Marshside in Southport, at first glance I thought it was a Mallard except for that outsized bill... First time I've seen one....

shoveller-duck-4902.jpg

Looks like a female Siskin, doesn't have the right wing markings for a Goldfinch.

Don't think so. I'm not certain but do you get siskins where your are? (I've never seen one, we don't get them here, I'm just looking at pictures).

yes we do get siskins - could be a female (I've only really seen the males and they are more colourful)

My PL 100-400 has arrived (mint 100-300 Mark II for sale in classifieds).
Going to Brandon Marsh nature reserve tomorrow to try it out!
Fingers crossed.

My PL 100-400 has arrived (mint 100-300 Mark II for sale in classifieds).
Going to Brandon Marsh nature reserve tomorrow to try it out!
Fingers crossed.

Good luck

Well, I ventured forth with the G9 and my new Leica 100-400, a couple of 'ordinary' images below. I think it's going to be good (it better had be!) when I get the correct settings sorted.

Could I ask the M4/3 chaps - when you use shutter priority, what sort of minimum shutter speed do you use with the 100-400? Thanks.

Greylag by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Canada Goose by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well, I ventured forth with the G9 and my new Leica 100-400, a couple of 'ordinary' images below. I think it's going to be good (it better had be!) when I get the correct settings sorted.

Could I ask the M4/3 chaps - when you use shutter priority, what sort of minimum shutter speed do you use with the 100-400? Thanks.

Greylag by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Canada Goose by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

I cant help you as my hand holding is crap now so i go as high as i can.

I don't think I can hit the 'Like' button on that one...............
Any idea who the feet belonged to?

An unfortunate coot chick I'm afraid, the gull flew in with it a few moments earlier.

The plan was start at 100mm and move up slowly to 400mm, got a couple at 100mm then they never came back:( so these are large crops

P5120133.jpg

P5120134.jpg

The wood pigeons have fledged this morning, almost gave me a heart attack when I went into the back garden this morning!

They're still ugly little blighters even though they've feathered up.

Taken with a 400mm and 1.4tc on a ridiculously low shutter speed so couldn't get them all or both in frame.

and it's sibling

Back