What camcorders don't suck?

Edit My Images
No
Hey,

I'm after a HD camcorder to use occasionally for rear or rigged shots. I have literally no experience whatsoever here, I'm lucky enough to work most of the time with professional equipment, so I don't have a clue what's any good!

Only real requirements are
- 1920x1080 progressive recording to HDD or SD
- not *terrible* in low light
- audio in.
- some level of white balance control (ideally custom)

It'll never be hand held, be used to take stills, night mode, zoomed in or out miles, any of that rubbish, it just needs to be ok for an occasionally switched to shot.

Not sure what kind of price I should even be looking at - can I get something that won't look like cack for £300ish?

Any recommendations / experiences?

Dslrs would be perfect if they weren't a pain in the ass and stopped recording every 12 minutes... panasonic GF1 or anything like that? I only know canikon...

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to have the 12 minute limit either.

hack has unlimited run time

Hah, in my tired state, didn't mention that this is actually the most important factor!

Cheers, GH2 looks interesting... or I was looking at the panasonic SD90, looks pretty good in low light for a consumer handycam, and around £350

Hah, in my tired state, didn't mention that this is actually the most important factor!

Cheers, GH2 looks interesting... or I was looking at the panasonic SD90, looks pretty good in low light for a consumer handycam, and around £350

The GH2 can be hacked up to 176mbits, incredible quality. Most people tend to go for the hacks that range between 40-80mbits just for stability. I'm sure you could get a mint second hand one for the same price as the SD90 (y)

gh2 is the way to go. I've hacked mine to 150mbps... amazing I must say if you talking in terms of quality. I've shot a music video using my gh2 hack and i'm still blown away on how amazing this camera is... don't think SD90 is worth it... get the GH2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aReu01CYC4

Back