What camera for a complete novice?

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and to photography in general! I have always had a passion for photography, and have enrolled on a GCSE photography class in order to develop my hobby.

I am going to borrow my Dads Sony A290 until I can find/ afford a DSLR of my own. I only have a 'point & shoot' camera of my own at present, and want to get to grips with a DSLR.

To that end, what camera would you recommend for someone like me who has never handled a DSLR in their life, and wants to develop their skills?

Thanks

What is your budget? Have you thought of buying a second hand camera?

Any of the DSLR made by any of the various brands should be more than adequate for GCSE.

Does your dad have a range of lenses for his Sony, and if so, would he be prepared to 'share' them with you?

If so, then getting a Sony is an obvious choice - You can get a s/h A200 + 18-70 kit lens for £200 (or possibly less), for example and if you can borrow other lenses from your dad that is the bulk of your expenses covered.

Once you have compleated your GCSE, and want to persue your photography further you can then either stick with Sony (if you like the gear, and the direction the company is going with their new SLT models), or switch to something else with the benefit of the experince you have gained while using the Sony.

I've had a 450d as a first camera for a couple of years and learned an awful lot. Don't necessarily need the top end cameras as a first one. Clearly now I'm looking to spend more money for an upgrade but still love my current camera.

Would definitely think about buying a low usage 2nd hand one as a first camera...

I agree with Jonathan, Going sony would make sense if your dad has an array of lenses he'd be willing to share with you. I was lucky my dad let me use his pentax while i saved up for my Canon. And he still lets me use his Lenses for my film gear.

My opinion would also be one of looking for one thats been used low. But also remember that mega pixels arent everything :p as I was obsessed with for a good 4/5 months when i got my camera.

All the modern DSLRs are good, and a lot of the slightly older ones aren't too shabby either. Canon and Nikon have the widest range of lenses and accessories - OEM and third party - but Sony could make sense if your Dad already has lenses. I wouldn't regard it as a deal breaker though. Go to a store and handle some cameras, then you'll be in a better position to decide which ones feel better in your hands. Don't let the salesman influence you though, it's your decision, and some of them have their own agendas.

Lenses contribute far more to image quality than bodies, so I'd be looking to buy on this basis. Save on the body and spend a bit more on the lens(es).

Buying a camera comes down to your budget...i looked at it a different way....im new to photography but i didnt want to purchase something i might outgrow quickly..also keeping in mind something thats not to much out of my depth!

After weeks of reviews i decided on the canon 60D, yes it might seem a little to advanced for me..but ive already got to grips with it quite well and shouldnt need to upgrade for sometime.

i believe the Nikon 3100 is a great entry level DSLR...my uncle has just bought it and he thinks its nice and easy to use(y) It is quite cheap too in comparison to many other DSLRS....you will find once you have your camera you will want some good lenses(these are sure not cheap) I had the 18-55 lens which i found not very good as its very basic...theres alot to think about..and alot more than i can advise...good luck :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.

I was leaning towards the Canons as have been told you can get some lenses for good prices (second hand)?

It makes sense to go for sony lenses, but like nicknack said - I feel I want something that I wont 'outgrow' quickly..

As for budget, well, I have only just got married, and so money is a bit tight. I can probably stretch to about £500, but not until Dec time. I figure by then I will know a little more through using my Dads cam & the course.

I like the idea of going to camera shops and handling bodies to see what fits me - I can be quite cack-handed at times - but am concerned that shops wont like me handling goods with no intention to buy?!

Thanks for the great advice though - very pleased to find this forum! :)

Thanks for the advice.

I like the idea of going to camera shops and handling bodies to see what fits me - I can be quite cack-handed at times - but am concerned that shops wont like me handling goods with no intention to buy?!

i went to jessops in manchester as they have a fair few on display for you to hold and get a feel for....trouble is you will want to buy one there and then haha:LOL:

Thanks for the advice.

I was leaning towards the Canons as have been told you can get some lenses for good prices (second hand)?

It makes sense to go for sony lenses, but like nicknack said - I feel I want something that I wont 'outgrow' quickly..

Well even though I used to be a professional photographer it took me about 4 years to feel that I had "outgrown" my 350D that I started with.

It was about 2 years before I felt the need to buy a telephoto zoom.

So I would suggest that whatever camera you get you need to spend a lot of time finding out the limits of what the camera, and more importantly you, are really capable of.

Otherwise you are going to be constantly dissatisfied with your results and could easily end up, as a lot of people do, on a constant search for the "perfect" camera which will suddenly transform you into a master photographer.

Stick to simplicity to start with, and the simple fact is that any camera 8MP and above will be more than adquate for you, and you can do amazing things with an ordinary kit lens, if you give yourself the chance to.

Perhaps 'outgrown' was the wrong choice of word. I merely meant that I didnt want a camera that would no longer fulfil my needs after a year or so?

I know that there is no such thing as a perfect camera and also I dont expect a camera to make me a 'master photographer' - I know its not the equipment that determines skill. I also know that you have to put a lot of time, effort, knowledge and experience in order to produce outstanding work - something I am more than prepared to do.

Thanks for your advice though

Head to your local camera store and test out the latest Canon Rebel and the Nikon D5100. Both are great starters and you'll decide which makes more sense and is more comfortable right away.

I have to say I am not totally in favour of being taught photography from a college.
Let me explain

When your learning to drive you have the instructor telling you what to do, pass the test and your on your own you have to start thinking for yourself and that is actually when you start learning.

Its the same with photography, being taught with someone holding your hand is one thing, going out by yourself is totally different. Its only then when you actually put your brain and eyes in sync can you get results and develope your own style.

Yes colleges can tell you the mechanics of photography such as how to set up lighting -camera angles etc etc and I am sure much more. What they won't teach you is how good you have to be or how hard it is to make a living from photography and what it involves.

As has been said many many times before its only practice practice and yet more practice will bring out the true ability to take a good photo or not.

Realspeed

If your Dad is willing to share, then the Sony would be choice number one, after that any of the main manufactors make equally good camera.

Thank you for the input all.

realspeed - I appreciate this. I understand what you are saying, and totally agree. I am using the college course purely for the technical side of things. It takes me a while to understand terminology such as depth of field, aperture etc and how this applies to photography/cameras as well as how to use it with effect. I need to get my head around this before I explore it on my own (if you know what I mean), so I figured the course would help me do this, rather than keep asking people on here and boring them to tears with my stupidity! LOL!

The course has been delayed for a couple of weeks, but I have borrowed my Dads camera and have been out taking shots and learning by doing if you see what I mean?

I am very impressed by the quality of the camera, which is encouraging me to experiment, and I am learning new things every time I pick it up. I have taken some images and put them on here....I have a massively long way to go before I deem myself even basically competent, but I am prepared for that - I love photography!

I am off to the nearest LCE Saturday to handle some bodies so will hopefully have more of an idea then.....still leaning toward the Canon's though!! LOL!

Back