What camera? I know I know!

Edit My Images
No
Not another one of these threads.

Basically sold all my kit (40D) a few months ago and decided i need it all back!

I want to upgrade from the 40D, but what to get? Is the 50D or D90 an upgrade or a side step?

D300 or 7D? Do i want to stay with Canon or will i get on ok with Nikon? Ideally i'de get a 5d2 but budget wont stretch that far. I'm leaning towards a 2nd hand 7d, but I notice they're not very well recieved on here, despite the great reviews of them. Is it worth the extra £200-£300 over a 2nd hand D300?

By the way i shoot a little bit of everything which makes matters a little harder!

Brand isn't that important is it? the 7d, d300, 50d and d90 are all rather nice cameras. As long as the Nikons feel ok in your hand and aren't too confusing for you since you've been accustomed to Canon then there's no reason to disount any of them. Plenty of reviews of all 4 out there if you want to go splitting hairs on which has most chroma noise at iso 3200 etc.

What was there about the 40d that held you back and which of the above would improve on that? Do you need what the higher end models offer you? I know I'd never use the 8fps burst rate the 7d offers... Would quite like the weatherproofing though.

What Matt said, I have the 40D and the only camera I would upgrade to would be a full frame one 5Dii. The 50D will give you more megapixels (more noise?) so bigger printing and cropping, micro focus adjustment, much improved LCD screen and a few other things...... will this improve image quality? My friend has a 50D and I wouldnt "upgrade" to it but if I was buying a fresh with no camera of my own I would but wouldnt dont expect better results than the 40D. I doubt wheather the 7D would give much much of an improvment on IQ over the 40D or 50D.

I cant comment on Nikon as every time I hold one I get a horrible, nasty rash all over my hands that spreads the longer I hold it. :D

...I cant comment on Nikon as every time I hold one I get a horrible, nasty rash all over my hands that spreads the longer I hold it. :D

There's a reason we exported Oliver Cromwell over the water, you know...:LOL:

I'll have a go on both then when im at the airport on sat, but its hard to try and play with one properly in a shop.

TBF the 40D was a great camera, just thought while im starting from new again i might as well go for the best. I found the 40D images a bit washed out usually, they always needed a contrast boost in lightroom. And the AF was pants. Oh and noise was always a constant threat, i never liked going above iso400 and that caused an issue inside buildings.

I'll have a go on both then when im at the airport on sat, but its hard to try and play with one properly in a shop.

TBF the 40D was a great camera, just thought while im starting from new again i might as well go for the best. I found the 40D images a bit washed out usually, they always needed a contrast boost in lightroom. And the AF was pants. Oh and noise was always a constant threat, i never liked going above iso400 and that caused an issue inside buildings.

I would agree that the contrast boost helps my images but the same could be said for my 450d and my G9, I think it maybe a canon thing, I do shot mostly RAW thou. What did you find so bad about the AF? and the ISO is definitely very usable way above 400, I find 800 fine and even higher depending on how good an exposure I get. I would agree with you thou that if your buying from scratch I would go for the 50D if money was no object, just dont expect a vast improvement on IQ.

I find it amusing when people can't decide for themselves which camera to go for.

I, like you sold my 40D, wished i hadn't done soon after as I was without a camera. I've since bought a 30D and love it, only thing i miss from the 40D is LiveView, it came in handy for macros to dial in the focus.

Go with what feels best, within budget. Only thing i'd trade this in for is full frame.

Al

Back