What camera & lens for around £1k ?

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Due to financial reasons I’ve had to sell my dream camera system (A7R3) it’s not all bad though as I have paid off a debt that will improve a future non COVID related drop in income !

I’ve also realised that whilst it’s obviously fine to spend that much money on what is basically a hobby rather than a living, I wasn’t getting anywhere near to the limits of that incredibly capable system.

I am mainly a holiday snapper so use my camera for holidays, weekends away etc which has obviously been severely restricted this year.

So sorry to ramble but I find myself in the still lucky situation to have around £1k to spend on a camera and walkabout lens.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to either a Fuji camera which I like and have owned before, so an X-T3 or more likely the new X-S10 as it has everything I need or the Canon RP with 24-105 4-7.1.

Both produce excellent JPEG’s (I don’t shoot RAW shock horror) easily good enough image quality and are very importantly small and light.

So which should I buy ? The XS-10 is £999 with the 15-45 kit lens and the RP is £1089 with its kit lens.

I mainly shoot landscape, architecture, and street photography in good light conditions - I’m not out at the crack of Dawn although occasionally around at Dusk !

Thanks for getting this far - all advice is welcome :)

What about a Cheaper Sony setup? Some good prices if you shop Grey.

Further to Josh's suggestion, you could get the A6400 with 16-135 for under £1k grey.

I just got a Z50 and tiny, tiny 16-50 pancake style lens from Cotswold Camera. Small and light. I'm really impressed to be honest, but I am a long term Nikon system user, so tried the Fuji and didn't get on with it, so felt at home with a familiar Nikon.

Plenty of change from you £1k there.

Keep your tamron and buy an used A7Rii

Followed by X-T3/X-S10

I rather buy a RX10IV used than a RP with that silly lens.

In fact I'd buy almost any camera instead of RP. Rather give iPhone 12 or Google pixel 5 a chance instead :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
With regards to Sony’s I’ve never really been a fan of the ergonomics - I made allowances with the A7R3
Nandbytes - I take it your not keen on the RP !!

Nandbytes - I take it your not keen on the RP !!

Nope.
Would you buy a smartphone for £1000 if it had a s*** calling quality and you could only hear someone of it was pin drop silent around you?
It could have the best smart features in the world.

If that's you then go for it, you'll love it :p

I don't feel like supporting manufacturers with my hard earned money for products like that.
R5 on other hand is in the opposite side of the spectrum and I'm sure I'll own one eventually.

p.s. just for balance I feel almost the same way about Sony A7II.

Last edited:
I just got a Z50 and tiny, tiny 16-50 pancake style lens from Cotswold Camera. Small and light. I'm really impressed to be honest, but I am a long term Nikon system user, so tried the Fuji and didn't get on with it, so felt at home with a familiar Nikon.

Plenty of change from you £1k there.
Wow that is cheap ! Not many lenses though ?

Wow that is cheap ! Not many lenses though ?

Well it will take all the other Z lenses, but for a walk around snapper when the main point is to be a small and light and do most things in one tiny pocket size package, I don't think the 16-50 will ever come off mine.

For me the main point was to keep size and weight to absolute minimum when wild camping, I have it attached to the outside of my rucksack with a PD clip and don't even notice it there, but I do now also have a Z5 with a few other Z lenses, for when I want to do something a bit more serious.

What about a RX100 m6 / 7 that would be within budget and a decent range 24-200
I have the Rx100m7, brilliant little camera. Dare I say the maybe best compact around right now that can still fit in your pocket. Not cheap mind and not so good if you have large hands and big fingers but otherwise I love it.

Used Fuji X-H1 for the IBIS, top LCD and nice grip. Way prefer it to the X-T3 myself anyway, others may prefer the X-T3 or other Fuji for various reasons.

Then whatever lens you fancy.

Used Fuji X-H1 for the IBIS, top LCD and nice grip. Way prefer it to the X-T3 myself anyway, others may prefer the X-T3 or other Fuji for various reasons.

Then whatever lens you fancy.

Thanks - size wise I'd prefer the XS-10 :)

I bought an xt-30 last year. It’s small maybe slightly too small for my hand. The image quality is excellent and it feels well built. I did struggle with the dials as I am a predominately a Canon user so I see why the XS-10 has this layout. I love the fact that the f2 primes are small and compact. I shoot RAW but you have the option to edit your RAW file in the camera after taking the photo and creating a jpeg or alternatively connect your camera to a laptop and do the conversion on there using your camera as the RAW converter. The only disadvantage with this system is the battery life so spares are a necessity and lenses are expensive. Personally the Canon RP is a waste of money. The fuji is much better in this price bracket.

I was torn between the XT3 and XT30 when changing over from Nikon.

I ended up choosing the XT30, because much like you I wanted to take it on holiday and ‘pop it in my pocket’

Due to its smaller size it most definitely is a great travel camera. More recently I have been hired for commercial shoots (for food photography) and it performs beautifully.

I don’t regret the decision, however the Fuji app is quite temperamental.

Thanks for the replies - found a mint X-T3 with 514 shots on it for £700 including a battery grip that I will sell - pleased with that and I can't think of a better camera for that money !

Thanks for the replies - found a mint X-T3 with 514 shots on it for £700 including a battery grip that I will sell - pleased with that and I can't think of a better camera for that money !
Good choice :)

Back