What camera shall i have??

Name
Holly
Edit My Images
No
I have a passion for photography and wish to Pursue it as a career!!! Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on cameras, their prices and where to get them from?? thanx

As most people will tell you,go to a camera shop and have a play with a lot of makes. Some will suit you more than others (ergonomics etc). You can't really go wrong with any of the major manufacturers although remember that you will be buying into a system and not just a camera body and lens if you want to take it seriously. That's something to bear in mind.
Phil.

Why are u guys all taking the ****?!

Hve you looked at the 2 main competitors - canon & Nikon?

Why are u guys all taking the ****?!

Hve you looked at the 2 main competitors - canon & Nikon?

Its called having fun. She said she has a passion for photography, yet seemingly has no idea how much a camera costs or even where you can buy one from, yet says she wants to make it a career.

Surely if you plan a career, you put a bit of revision into it before hand, especially if its your passion.

I have a passion for golf. Ive never played it, or watched it, or even held a golf bat. But I love it. :clap:

Its called having fun. She said she has a passion for photography, yet seemingly has no idea how much a camera costs or even where you can buy one from, yet says she wants to make it a career.

Surely if you plan a career, you put a bit of revision into it before hand, especially if its your passion.

I have a passion for golf. Ive never played it, or watched it, or even held a golf bat. But I love it. :clap:

Granted,i can see your point about revision and research. But posting questions in a Forum is a form of research?

I've tidied this up just now folks, innocent till etc :)

Me too, but isnt it a golf racket? Do you have to buy your own course to play? :LOL:

Seriously though, as she doesn't mention a budget but wants to start a career in photography, I reckon she should start with a Leica S2 system
Allan

Granted,i can see your point about revision and research. But posting questions in a Forum is a form of research?

Yep, and soon a she provides more details, Mr Sensible Hat will be on and she'll get answers. Until then... Lets have fun :banana:

Leica S2? Pentax 645D?

Just how far into your pocket does your photography passion reach? :D

dod said:
I've tidied this up just now folks, innocent till etc :)

Mine was a very valid suggestion, why better way to start? ;)

It's meant to be a forum for help advice and research. Come on guys don't be nasty.

Whats your budget and we will giv you some proper advice :)

This forum seems to be full of people like this. Why can't people take the op at face value?

Explain what hasnt been taken at face value? She said its her passion. Passion means to me, something you love, and particpate in, something that fullfils your life..
She then goes onto ask what camera she should buy, how much it will cost and where to get it from. Meaning she has no idea on the subject..

Thats fine, no problem, but then she says she wants to make a career out of something she just explained she had no clue about. Many people here do actually make thier living from photography, so when someone who has no idea about anything says they are going to make it thier career, they get a little fed up with it.
You dont just pick up a camera and suddenly become a proffesional photographer. It takes time, hard work and dedication.

If she just said, Hi, I want to know what would be best for a beginner etc. then no problem.

Infact there is no problem now, we are just teasing and having a bit of banter. When she comes back and explains her budget and what she hopes to achieve, we will all give our best advice.

Unless she says she has a £200 budget and a wedding in 3 days. :bonk:

It would be like water off a ducks's back to us hardened forum users but to the beginner or more sensitive it comes across as being very unfriendly and cliquey. Take a step back and have a look.

It would be like water off a ducks's back to us hardened forum users but to the beginner or more sensitive it comes across as being very unfriendly and cliquey. Take a step back and have a look.

It was very mild banter, nothing worse, no need to take a step back and look again. (y)

Agreed.

Really guys, a brand new member comes on asking what is probably a legitimate question, there's certainly nothing at this stage to suggest it isn't. We have no knowledge of the background, the circumstances, the situation, why she has a passion, absolutely nothing. What do we do? We take the ****.

Way to go. :|

I have been looking into cameras, but just wanted some advice on how to pick the right one!!! I have been looking at the canon EOS 500d and the nikon d-60! Are these good cameras to get quality pictures?? Thanx

I have been looking into cameras, but just wanted some advice on how to pick the right one!!! I have been looking at the canon EOS 500d and the nikon d-60! Are these good cameras to get quality pictures?? Thanx

The sensible answer is they are both great cameras, but I believe both have been superseded so it may be worth looking at their replacements.

The best advice you'll get is to go and try both, go with whatever you like the feel of best

Both good cameras, both good camera systems. I think it has been mentioned but the best thing to do is head off to your local camera shop and ask for a play to see which ones suit you, they both have a different ergonomic and menu systems. I did this and went for Nikon, haven't regretted it so far.

Oh and welcome to TP, its a friendly place really but sometimes the children get over excited and act up a bit.

Cheers

Andy

Oh and don't dismiss Sony. They are definitely in the race and bang for buck you get a lot of camera/lens for your money.

Andy

If you want more for your money and don't mind second hand have a look at MPB photographic, the classifieds in here, Miffsuds or Ffordes, all reputable and trustworthy plces.

Andy

There Both Great camera's.
I started with the 500D,bonus being its now £200 cheaper then what i got it for.
They both do the same thing,so dont worry about cost or Mp. Just go for what feel's right :)

I don't have a budget, I won't be getting one for a while, I'm still at college studying business and after I will be saving for a decent camera, and a photography course!!! I want to pursue a career in photography because it is something that I have always admired and I love the creativity the photos and the fact there is a story behind each photo!!

If you wont be getting one for a while (depends how long a while is), then you may be better off asking the question nearer the time, as camera tech moves very fast, and what maybe the newest and best today, will soon be the 2nd hand lower budget models of the future.

The D60 and 500D are both a few years old now, and whilst they will both provide excellent images, if you know how to use them, by the time you are in a position to buy one, you may find something the like 550D or D90 are more within your budget. Like I said, it depends on the timescale, a 2-3 months then it probably wont change much, 6 months or more could be a different story.

What you need to work out is not which camera but what system eg Sony, Canon, Nikon etc as the actual models will change on a regular basis. So see what feels right in your hands, do you like the menu system. What type of photography are you hoping to do, sports, nature, weddings, journalism, studio work, or something else?

Hi and welcome:)

As has been said an idea of the type of photography you are interested in and your budget would be useful.

Picking a camera is a personal thing, however all modern DSLRs are good it is YOU that makes the photograph great.

Go down to a variety of shops and play with all the different makes that fit YOUR budget.

Buy the camera that feels most comfortable for YOU to hold, it is YOU that will be holding it after all.
Not only must it fit your hand it must be the one with a control lay out and menu system YOU find most comfortable.

Start taking pictures and post them up on the forum.
Have a read of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It will help you learn.

Don't forget to look at Bronicas. Frankly, everything else is inferior by comparison.

Hi

I could also do with a bit of advice on which camera to get.

My friends are keen enthusiasts and will make a career out of photography, however I only want to use it as a hobby. They've told me to look at nikon, which I have and the ergonimcs etc are cool for me, but but which one do i get, whats the difference between them all??? I have a lot to learn about photography I know.

I dont really want to be spending too much money on a camera, as at the moment it is something I enjoy and dont want to persue it as a career, just a hobby.

Any ideas please???

Hi

My friends are keen enthusiasts and will make a career out of photography, however I only want to use it as a hobby. They've told me to look at nikon, which I have and the ergonimcs etc are cool for me, but but which one do i get, whats the difference between them all??? I have a lot to learn about photography I know.

I dont really want to be spending too much money on a camera, as at the moment it is something I enjoy and dont want to persue it as a career, just a hobby.

Any ideas please???

Might be worth starting your own thread as it could get confusing between the two, although the information provided will be more or less the same.

A budget is the first thing we need to know. "Not much money" can mean entirely different things to different people.

Hi

Any ideas please???

I know what you mean - it is a mine-field of info out there, once you start getting into it :(.

What I did was to buy a couple of camera magazines (the ones that review cameras, not the ones about taking pictures) and read through them in my own time. Unlike Internet forums (sorry everyone :D), these magazines are written (mostly) clearly and consistently and with little bias toward any particular brand. You can also look at a lot of pictures in them, see the prices and judge the reviews for yourself :shrug:.

The really good news is that, unless you go for a camera body that's more than 3 or 4 years old, or pick one of the 'minority' brands (which I daren't name here :shake:), you're going to end up with a little machine that makes amazing pictures :) (once you sorted out some good lenses and practised using it). I really can't think of any company who males a truly 'bad' DSLR these days :thinking:.

Good luck (y)!

Thanks for that.

I dont really want to be spending much more than £400, for a camera and a lens if I can help it.

I want to use it as a fun hobby, and not something that i'll get too serious with and end up spending £1000's!!!

Back