What camera should i buy ?

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, totally new to this forum, this is my first post on here and the reason ive signed up here is to ask you guys what camera should i go for as a nice Xmas pressie for me self :) im into Urban Exploration and at the moment i use my phone ( Samsung S7 Edge ) for pictures and my go pro HD Hero2 for footage, this works well for me at the moment but i have always wanted to get into photography for years and rather than just using my phone to point and shoot and Instagram edit/ upload.. id like to actually learn how to take good pictures and learn about all the camera settings etc, especially now that ive been doing alot of exploring recently,
Now i want a camera that's going to last me a good few years if not more, my mate has a cannon and says they are really good for what he does, i have been looking at reviews and videos and at this moment in time the Nikon d5500 is standing out to me as a good entry level camera, would any one on here recommend that camera to start out with ? id also be wanting to use a 10 to 18mm lens i do like the look of wide angle lenses but also a normal lens for when i go out with my wife and kids, so just general picture taking and use for when im exploring, please if anyone has any good suggestions on where to start because i am a total dslr noob here! please check out my current pictures on my Instagram page @ cjurbex and you will see what kind of pictures i enjoy taking so you know what would be best for me :) thanks guys! looking to spend around the £650- £700 mark ? cheers!

I started doing Urbex with a Nikon D70 in 2007, to be honest any dslr or mirrorless of any brand will do the job. I took some of my favourite images on the D70, a camera that is antiquated by today's standards.

A Sigma 10-20 or similar is a good lens and a tripod is useful for longer exposures. I moved to a full frame D700 in 2009 and it's high ISO capabilities meant I used the tripod less, however I imagine some of the crop sensor cameras are probably as capable at higher ISO's now.

Actually your phone is pretty damned capable - I was commissioned to do an Urbex style shoot with on as part of the launch and I was very impressed with it.

I'm less active than I was back in the day but if you want to see some old school Urbex then have a look at my website www.theviewfromthenorth.org, there's a couple of galleries in there using the S7, as well as nearly 10 years of other stuff.

Bit of something to think about but if size and weight is an issue in Urbex then the Olympus OMD EM5 Mark II is worth looking at. I use one for caving and compared to a DSLR it is tiny. Being Micro Four Thirds there are a decent range of lenses at all prices and it has a few other nice features such as live composite which is good for light painting in dark places and the flip out screen is useful for high/low shooting. The biggest downside with any small sensor camera is noise at higher ISO although the EM5 is pretty good for it's size.

For urban/street I honestly think Fuji is where you should look to. For your budget you could get a used Xpro 1 and the 18-55 2.8-4, a fantastic all-rounder lens. I recently switched from a bulky Nikon FX camera and heavy lenses to the Fuji XT-1 and I'm loving it. I have the 27mm pancake lens, and that combination is ideal for street shooting. So light and tidy. That might be within your budget too, but then you'd need to splurge a bit more for a wider angle lens. There is the likes of the Samyang 12mm, but it's manual focus only if you can deal with that? But definitely look into the Fuji X range, they have an assortment of cameras to suit different needs. There's the XT-10 also, which is basically a smally version of the XT=1, same sensor, same lens range [as all Fuji X cameras share]

Unfortunately there are soooo many cameras you can choose from and I could probably recommend a dozen or so. If you want to use it for video too then mirrorless may arguably be a better option than DSLR. If you wanted to keep things really small you could even consider a high end compact such as the Sony RX100-III or Canon G7x-II.

As for the D5500 it's a decent entry/mid level DSLR capable of extremely good pictures, in the right hands. You could look at buying used (most stores offer 6-12m warranty on used) and go for the D7100 or D7200 which hasveauto features for now, but have high end features for when you become more advanced.

But for urban type shooting Is personally want to 'travel light' and would opt for mirrorless. Olympus OMD EM10-II and EM5-II, Fuji XE, XP and XT cameras, Sony a6xxx cameras and some Panasonic m4/3 cameras are all well worth considering.

I would advise going to a good store, having a look at a few and seeing which you prefer the handling of. On any one of them image quality will be excellent.

That one,or maybe this one.

It makes very little difference these days.

That one,or maybe this one.

It makes very little difference these days.

Makes a huge difference, ergonomics alone can make or break your love for a camera. Weight, overall size, button layout, end image quality or 'feel'. If that was the case, we'd all just pick up the same model and run with it.

Makes a huge difference, ergonomics alone can make or break your love for a camera. Weight, overall size, button layout, end image quality or 'feel'. If that was the case, we'd all just pick up the same model and run with it.

I think what he's saying is pretty much any camera is pretty capable now a days. Lenses are probably more likely the issue here, as there will be a requirement to use ultrawides and maybe some fast primes.

I agree with you re ergonomics but that's subjective to the person.

The body is less important in urbex I'd say (generally speaking) where a lot of stuff will be tripod mounted and light painted?

A lot depends if you want to travel light or if you're happy to lug a tripod round, or are ok with a bulky camera. I've hauled big cameras over fences and through broken windows and through coal mines - others may not wish to.

A Fuji gives you a lot of bang for your buck - I have an XT10 as well as my Nikons but for Urbex I prefer the Nikon for its ability to focus in low light and it's high ISO.

As usual, the advice to go and hold one in a shop is best - it certainly swayed my choice last time I bought a camera. And don't be afraid of buying second hand from somewhere like MPB, you'll get more for your money and be able to spend more on a lens which is probably more important.

I guess you are mostly going to get advice tailored to the respondents own preferences which is natural, but if you work on the basis that in normal use all manufacturers produce good equipment these days you can't go wrong. Even kit lenses are pretty good in comparison to a few years back. My advice would be to find a good camera shop which sells a range of makes and handle the cameras. You'd be surprised how the button spread and layout of the controls differs and how uncomfortable some can be to use if you have large or small hands. If they'll let you have a look at the controls and find out how easy it is to change the settings. Some can be unnecessarily complicated.
Think seriously about the end product. Are you just producing images for the web or are you likely to want to print, and if so how big? For web use sensor size is an irrelevance but for larger prints you may want to consider a larger sensor although with care A3 prints are easily attainable with a 6Mp sensor. I have and still use a Nikon D70 as well as full frame cameras.
Personally I wouldn't be tempted by too many bells and whistles. They just make the simple task of taking photographs more complicated. Your own skills will create a great photograph not the camera. Better to spend your money on good lenses that will last and hold some value than on a body that is soon outdated and worthless despite working well.
I hope you find a suitable camera soon and we look forward to your viewing your images.

One reason I like my OMD + pancake lens for Urbex, is that I carry it in my hand and it is not that obvious.

I think what he's saying is pretty much any camera is pretty capable now a days. Lenses are probably more likely the issue here, as there will be a requirement to use ultrawides and maybe some fast primes.

I agree with you re ergonomics but that's subjective to the person.

The body is less important in urbex I'd say (generally speaking) where a lot of stuff will be tripod mounted and light painted?

Yeah but you're still carrying it about a lot in hand, and you want to be comfortable with the control layout. For any kind of street shooting I would always prefer a camera with as many physical controls as possible, not having to go through on screen menus just to change some settings.

I guess you are mostly going to get advice tailored to the respondents own preferences which is natural,

Of course, kind of hard to recommend something you never personally used. This is why best side advice is for OP to get hands on with any suggestions. But that's not always possible either. I know there is not one decent camera shop near me, so i have to rely on reviews and suggestions from current users. All we can do is advise based on our own experiences.

ok thanks guys, i go urbexin with a friend who has a cannon worth about 800 quid? he just has his in his bag and jumps over fences the lot, glass windows everything lol, by the sounds of it ill have to look at a shop, maby london camera exchange in manchester? ive heard they are pretty good, at least then i can get a good feel and info on them too from staff there, see what they say :) i just wanted to know if its worth buying a proper camera even though ive got a good camera phone, but i wanted a proper camera so i can get better shots with better light and just learn in general about how to use a proper camera :)

Dont know about urban ex but would assume you would want to minimise weight so for me its Fuji!

Nikon and Canon are great DSLRs and both similar - i personally prefer Nikon and that would make a good starting point. Something like an AT10 and 18-55 lens could be yours for £500 or so off Fuji refurb, or as others have suggested an XPro1.

Yeah but you're still carrying it about a lot in hand, and you want to be comfortable with the control layout. For any kind of street shooting I would always prefer a camera with as many physical controls as possible

Urban exploration is not street shooting. It's exploring old abandoned buildings, tunnels, roof topping tall buildings, etc

Dont know about urban ex but would assume you would want to minimise weight so for me its Fuji!

Nikon and Canon are great DSLRs and both similar - i personally prefer Nikon and that would make a good starting point. Something like an AT10 and 18-55 lens could be yours for £500 or so off Fuji refurb, or as others have suggested an XPro1.

I've had an XPro 1, and it wouldn't be my choice for Urbex over an slr as the Autofocus isn't great in low light. The XT10's is better but not great. I have one currently and I like it but I always use the Nikon for Urbex.

ok thanks guys, i go urbexin with a friend who has a cannon worth about 800 quid? he just has his in his bag and jumps over fences the lot, glass windows everything lol, by the sounds of it ill have to look at a shop, maby london camera exchange in manchester? ive heard they are pretty good, at least then i can get a good feel and info on them too from staff there, see what they say :) i just wanted to know if its worth buying a proper camera even though ive got a good camera phone, but i wanted a proper camera so i can get better shots with better light and just learn in general about how to use a proper camera :)

I've done all that with gear costing twice that! A Nikon D3300 or the equivalent Canon with a stabilised lens would cost less than £350, and then put the rest towards a second hand Sigma 10-20 would be my choice. London Camera Exchange are fine, but for an entry level slr, you'd be no worse off going to Currys, as they have them on open display to fondle.

Urban exploration is not street shooting. It's exploring old abandoned buildings, tunnels, roof topping tall buildings, etc

Doesn't make a difference to any advice I offered. Maybe it's even more relevant, if you're shooting in dimly lit buildings a lot, you want quick access to controls.

Doesn't make a difference to any advice I offered. Maybe it's even more relevant, if you're shooting in dimly lit buildings a lot, you want quick access to controls.

Each to their own. Personally, I've always prioritised low light sensor and AF performance when choosing a camera for Urbex - you adapt to the controls that are on your camera and pretty quickly know what is where.

Each to their own. Personally, I've always prioritised low light sensor and AF performance when choosing a camera for Urbex - you adapt to the controls that are on your camera and pretty quickly know what is where.

Why not have best of both? I like a comfortable in hand camera as I often don't use a strap, they just irritate me :D So I like to feel secure hand holding, especially with larger lenses attached. I also like the ability to change controls on the fly without having to think much, it should be intuitive. Good low light performance kinda goes without saying. i don't think any modern camera is 'bad' in that dept.

something is still pointing me towards the nikon d5500 i dont know why, ive just heard that they are a really good camera especially to start out with and it will last me a good few years ! plus they do it in red ;p

something is still pointing me towards the nikon d5500 i dont know why, ive just heard that they are a really good camera especially to start out with and it will last me a good few years ! plus they do it in red ;p

would be worth looking into lens compatibility with that body. I unfortunately speak from experience. the 1.01 (current i believe) firmware versions have a tough time with older sigma lenses. pretty much all our sigma equipment failed to autofocus including her very useful 10-20 wide angle. i end up exchanging the camera for a 1.00 firmware version rather than paying sigma to update the lenses.

that is true Lc2, ill keep having a look about, im defo going to get one though but i rekon if i wait till jan sales ill be saving a little cash too !

Back