What camera strap?

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes, I know, this question has probably been asked several thousand times before, but I couldn't find anything helpful on Google or using the search function.

Basically, I've bought a 5D and a 17-40, and the guy who's selling me the 5D isn't sending a strap along with the purchase. Which means I need to buy one. Not too annoying, as I intended on buying a camera strap one of these days, might as well be now.

Required:
-Hold the 5D + 17-40 securely without worrying that it will just snap, or wear away - the Canon standard strap was absolutely fine
-Under £15 preferably

Would be nice:
-If it had little pockets for memory cards - I'm happy to use my Sandisk pouch attached to the strap, but it would be nice - I don't want to have to pay extra for this though
-If it was comfy - I rarely use the strap around my neck, I just put it round my neck so if I do lose grip on the camera it's there for safe keeping. Most of the time the camera is on the strap on my shoulder as I'm carrying a tripod or something

Don't care:
-I don't need anything fancy like an "air-cushioned neoprene-woven super-special crap-strap" - I just want it to be the bare essentials

Hit me!

Get a Nikon strap, it will look fabulous alongside your 5D.

Optech pro Classic

Best strap you can buy for under £20.

I have one on my 5d2 and carry that with the 100-400 with no probs.

I'll be looking for one to go on my 40D at Focus next week.

And I like the Quick Strap because it looks very comfy, but I'm not a fan of the over the shoulder style, I don't like bags like that, I find them very uncomfortable, and the strap looks really long. I want something fairly short, kind of like the Canon strap, that I can also wrap around my hand for when I'm at gigs and clubs.

Found a used Optech Pro on Ebay for £12, but i'm concerned about the clip connectors... Someone reassure me!

I use an optech pro sling with the sling adaptor, prefer it to the black rapid i used to have as its more comfortable under a rucksack. Never had a problem with the clip's on my gripped 7d and Sigma 300mm 2.8.

I'm also in the market for a new strap so will check out the recommendations found here.

i bought a sun sniper pro and bear strap today. really good strap, camera moves very easy on the rail system, very good.

I decided to go for the Optech EZ strap.
Thanks for your suggestions (and my apologies for ignoring them all :LOL:)

Reasoning:
The Quick Strap system looks really, really cool. There are just one problem with it. I don't like the 'across the body' way the strap works, it isn't how I like to wear the camera when I'm carrying it, I just like it to be on one shoulder.
The Optech Pro looks nice, but then I rarely hold the camera solely around my neck - I find the way the camera rests on my chest uncomfortable when I'm walking, and the strap itself is far too thick to wrap around my hand when in club/gig scenarios

The optech ez is just basically a copy of the Canon one, which I like - it does the trick. When I go to the lake district in July I will probably get the quick strap, and only wear it when I'm carrying the camera long distances.

Back