What camera?

Name
Josh
Edit My Images
No
Ive never had a DSLR camera before so im not sure what im looking for.

I dont want to spend over £600 and ive been looking at the canon eos 550d which i found for £580, on paper the specs look pretty good.

just wanted some advice really?

I visited jessops today to try and see both the eos 550d and Nikon d90 but was approached by a girl that probably knew as much as i did, and that's not much atall.

Thanks jtg

Last edited:
Hi Josh.

It all depends on what you're going to be shooting and if you have any long term plans for what area you want to get into. I assume you'll be needing some lenses with that camera too?!

Don't let buying second hand put you off either, it's a great way to pick up some excellent cameras for a lot less.

thanks for the reply.

I dont really know what im going to shoot its just general photography family shots and days out plus maybe a few shots of building architecture.

I just wanted to see what the best i could get for under 600, its a birthday present from my parents and i dont think they would want to search around for second hand equipment.

lens i havent considered all ive seen are the standard lenses that come with the camera which is 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit.

thanks

Last edited:
Ive never had a DSLR camera before so im not sure what im looking for.

I dont want to spend over £600 and ive been looking at the canon eos 550d which i found for £580, on paper the specs look pretty good.

just wanted some advice really?

Thanks jtg

I'd recommend having a go with it, and others cameras - go into somewhere like Jessops and just have a fiddle around with them. Some people can use any camera, but some prefer one shape to another. Also consider whether any friends and family use a DSLR, because you might want to get the same manufacturer in order to share lenses (unless it's a shape you can't get on with.)

As for the 550D, I just bought one as my first DSLR. It's a neat little camera, I'm happy with my purchase.

I went into jessops and currys.digital today and both sales assistants didnt have a clue :|. I got to handle the d90 but its a little out of my price range.
as for family and friends with DSLR thats a no so theres no preference over make.

thanks

are all your photos taken with the 550d? they look good!

I got to handle the d90 but its a little out of my price range....

Thats new thou - it wont be that bad if you find a "used" camera.... There are bargains out there to be found - why not drop Stewart a line (digital-depot) an see if he can help you out on anything... Or there's MPBphotographic - both are members on TP...

You'll never know unless you ask - they may be able to help you..

sorry must get use to using the quote tags. yes blake it was to you lol looking at your pictures does point me into buying the camera you definetly have taken some neat shots with it.

I've got a 400D (earlier version of the 550) It is a lovely little camera and has/is teaching me a lot. If you are happy with the 'feel' of the 550D I'd say you'll love it. But I'd recommend you buy a 2nd hand body (maybe from here?) of an older version and spend your money on a good lens or more than one ;)

You will find that this hobby is a bit of a sink (takes a while to get the 'perfect' setup) however we here all understand :LOL:

well seems like the 550 it is seems like its a popular choice and people like it.
i need to read about lens as i havent got a clue about them. i was shocked to see a lens that was 900 pounds in jessops never knew they where that much.

A good used 400D, 450D or 550D is a good place to start.
The 400D is really a revamp 350D and the 450D is were Canon start to actually change the internal spec of the camera.
So my choice would be either 450 or 550 which might not give much change for a decewnt lens.
Unless you have friends & family that have a Canon DSLR, so ask around as some might have one and do not use it !

I've got a 400D (earlier version of the 550) It is a lovely little camera and has/is teaching me a lot. If you are happy with the 'feel' of the 550D I'd say you'll love it. But I'd recommend you buy a 2nd hand body (maybe from here?) of an older version and spend your money on a good lens or more than one ;)

You will find that this hobby is a bit of a sink (takes a while to get the 'perfect' setup) however we here all understand :LOL:

Have a look at this

I bought a 550d last year after looking at that and a Nikon, and the only deciding factor in the end was how they felt when taking a photo, other than that, the differences are minimal.

My advice is have a play with each and go with the one you feel comfortable with, you won't be disappointed with either one, and its unlikely you'd notice a difference in photo quality of either.
The biggest difference will be in your ability to learn to use the camera and all the principles of photography rather than in which of these two you buy.

my friend at university has a 550d i just found out and he seems to be very happy with it, and the majority of people on here also seem to have nothing but good things to say about it so i guess im gonna go for the 550d

600d just around the corner so holding on for a couple of weeks might see the 550d drop a bit, or have a look at eBay sellers such as Digigood who sell refurb and new US imports, bear in mind though that the refurbs only get 90 day warranty but I and friends have used him many a time and always been good service..

you are doing the right thing by going down the High Street and handling them, dont be scared to try and haggle and see if they can get near internet prices.

Back