What can you tell me about this camera?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
A good friend of mine gave me a camera yesterday that his brother apparently found in his loft. It's a Minolta X-300 SLR with a 50mm f1.7 prime. It also has a Tamron 80-210mm zoom with it. It's the oddest lens I've ever seen and it weighs a tonne!

So what can you tell me about it? Is it any good? How old is it likely to be (it seems in pretty near perfect condition!). I'm going to buy some film and have a play for sure, but is it likely to give me any decent results, my ability aside lol?

X300%20lo%20res.jpg

X300%20+%20zoom%20lo%20res.jpg

X300%20front%20lo%20res.jpg

Film!!!...... What's that then? :D

goes over food, before you put it in the fridge... keeps it fresh longer or somthing... so I'm told

and you can always put a pretty picture in the slot on the back for when you forget that you can't chimp on a normal slr and glance down to see what you got ;)

I have a Minolta x500 (since 1982) and a x700 both excellent cameras!! Guarantee good results with this beast!

When I got my Praktica out from its dusty box a couple of months ago, I was advised to get some film from Aldi. It's called Kodacolour, and they do two ISO's, 200 and 400. I chose the 400.

It's only 1.79 for two, which is less than a quid a roll. It's suppose to be quite good stuff, especially the price, the chap that advised me is a bit of a film buff :geek:

Yeah, I bought some film from Aldi. Damn cheap compared to what I once paid for a roll of Kodak. I'm going to get some Ilford black and white film though.

Somewhere I have a Praktica that my dad bought be as my first SLR, but I can't find it. Also have an Olympus OM1 that needs cleaning up.

Oh wow, that's exactly my first slr camera, got me through college and university, along with a mamiya c330 prof s which i used to do weddings with later on (not the minolta, used a nikon 35mm for that). I'm envious. Still got a couple of lenses for it stashed away. :) Ah, reminisce...

Thanks for the tips guys :clap: I'll look out for that film in Aldi Marcel, at that price I can cover all my food in the fridge with it :LOL:

The link to the manual is just what I need, thanks very much for that CScott (y)

Really looking forward to taking some shots with it now, it's been a loooong time since I've used film :eek:

Nice one Daddy (y) I've used a stunning 1 roll of film since i bought the EOS 3 - hope you ge tmore use than i did. In fact, we should just take out the filmies one day and celebrate with a whopping 36 exposures in a day :LOL: :LOL:

Nice one Daddy (y) I've used a stunning 1 roll of film since i bought the EOS 3 - hope you ge tmore use than i did. In fact, we should just take out the filmies one day and celebrate with a whopping 36 exposures in a day :LOL: :LOL:

I like your thinking Jon, a plan in the making there (y) (although I was only planing on buying a 24exp roll :geek: :LOL:)

I like your thinking Jon, a plan in the making there (y) (although I was only planing on buying a 24exp roll :geek: :LOL:)

What - 24 each?!?!?!?!? Blinking Nora, we'll be out for days!!!! :LOL:

Good discipline that - we used to get sent out with a Hasselblad and one 12 -exp roll of 120 Ilford FP4...
Oh yes and once or twice with the Cambo 5x4 and two sheets of film in a dark slide...to do a formal portrait...:eek:

We used to get told stories of 'ye olde presse' photographers who used to work with Speed Graphics and four dark slides each (8 exps) in customised pockets on their suit jackets...on press stories?!?
And the photo editors would demand to see all of them and God help anyone who wasted a shot.
Another story from the olden days was the photo editor who would look at a job beforehand, judge how many exposures the photographer would need and then issue that exact amount of pre-cut 120 film for the Rollieflex cameras then being used.
Really, we don't know we're born, these days...

Back