What card reader to use with an iPad Pro ?

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I am having a few intermittent issues with my laptop (MacBook Pro) but really need to edit some pictures this weekend and I am also away next week at the East Coast so hoping to get some photography in.

I have a 12” iPad Pro with Lightroom CC and thought that perhaps now is the time to purchase a good card reader so that I can start to use it more as one of my longer term goals is to travel more.

What would be the best and most reliable card reader to purchase and are they just for downloading images or is it possible to edit them and upload them back to the same card too (I may need to send about 100 car pictures on to someone for distribution)

Many thanks

Tony

There is only one choice, the Apple camera connection kit and/or SD card reader.

AFAIK (and I've looked hard), there aren't any other options.

As Ned said, there's not a lot of choice - the Apple one (or it's identical-kit clones).
The reader is used for bringing the files onto the iPad (into Photos).
You then import from Photos to Lightroom (you can tell it to automate this step)
Your RAW and JPEG files are them available in Lightroom Mobile for you to edit.
The uploaded files and your edits will sync to the cloud or your desktop depending on your settings and package etc.

You can't save the edited photos back to the card. Obviously all edits are in Lightroom Mobile and synced back to the Adobe product of your choice, so if you are on CC you can share the album via that.
Locally - you can only save the edited photos back into Apple Photos and email them from there etc.

Last edited:
Many thanks

I will call in at an Apple shop or PC world and get one as I would definitely pay a few pounds more and get one that works out of the box

You can also save/sync to Dropbox.

I was just about to order a reader from Amazon but I had a thought about using my Canon Connect app so I selected the 200 pictures taken today (I did a bit of a cull on the camera first) then sent them straight to the app that then sends them in to my Apple Photos app then brought them in to Lightroom straight from there and here I am sat merrily away editing them on my iPad.

Seems to be a great workaround

PS I shot these in jpg instead of my usual raw just in case it couldn’t handle too many large raw files.

The Ssd one sounds great,I had the non ssd version which worked fine but this new ssd version is tempting me,sounds really useful

Back