What compact for a beginner

Name
James (Retired)
Edit My Images
No
I have a friend who has asked me for advice,so i will put it out there for some help on it.
She would like a compact camera that can produce reasonably nice sharp shots on auto.
She does not want to go into dslr realms as she just wants nice snaps straight out of the camera.
So any suggestions welcome,she never mentioned a budget,but i don,t think a fortune.:)

Pretty much anything you can find in Curry's will fit that bill tbh. If budget is quite high, then something like the Sony RX100 is the one that is normally recommended in these situations.
Last time I bought a compact I went to Currys and just bought whatever was on offer for £150, and I've been more than happy with it (some kind of Canon, can't remember what model).

Last edited:
Cheers for that,not too sure of her budget,but will try & find that out.:)

Im not so sure a sony RX100 would be a good idea for your friend and something like David has suggested would probably be more suitable because
although all cameras probably have far more options than most of us need the Sony is more suited to someone that like to tinker IMHO :)

Thanks guys,i think from what i can gather she wants to just press the shutter & get a kinda decent photo,all suggestions welcome.:)

Another vote for the RX100, it has two full auto modes just like any other compact so is fine for any beginner, plus if she did decide she wanted to learn more manual control it is good for that too. Barring some very niche or single focal length cameras it'll probably produce the best images of any truly compact camera. The only other comparable one is the Canon G7x. There is the Panasonic LX100 which will pip these but it's a bigger camera (although would still fit in a coat pocket).

These cameras only have relatively short zooms/focal lengths though, but if you want longer you will have to look at smaller sensor (and therefore lower image quality) cameras.

The rx100 looks great,but i have a feeling it will be a little pricey for her,still to see her about what budget she is thinking of,thanks guys.:)

I recently bought a Panasonic LF1 and I'm happier with it than I thought I'd be :D

I think it has the same chip as the LX7 but the thing that attracted me is that it has a useable EVF and I much prefer to shoot with a VF than with just the back screen.

Yep the panasonic looks good as well.:)

Fuji x30. Very good compact. Not as many pixels as the Sony though but I haven't tried that one

Cheers for that Paul.:)

Back