What compact mirrorless camera?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to Barcelona for a few days soon to see and photograph the amazing buildings there. I have been told more than once not to walk around with a big DSLR or I will be targeted by pickpockets, muggers and beggars. So I want to get a small good-quality changeable lens camera with a versatile lens. What's a good one not massively expensive? It doesn't have to be the latest thing.

Hmmm. A bit vague on the budget there. How much are you thinking about spending? New or used?

The Panasonic Micro Four Thirds GX80 is compact, a bit of a bargain and quite capable and the 14-42mm Mega OIS kit lens is the size of a prime lens and is sharp wide open. Add a fast prime, something like a 15, 17 or 25mm, and that'd do me as a holiday setup.

Or, something I've always fancied is a Sony A6000. They crop up around £300 but you'll need a lens or two.

I can't see any difference personally. If you were going to get mugged with a DSLR and a bag of lenses, you're going to get mugged with a mirrorless and bag of lenses. Get something that fits in your pocket.

Last edited:
True. But a compact system can be tucked away discreetly when required. And even with a couple of lenses, you don't need a camera bag. So the hope is that the muggers will be drawn to someone with all the big kit on display.
Although I can imagine a discerning muggers saying "oh no! Not another bloody Canon. I'm waiting for someone with that new EM1 mk2. With it's excellent image stabilisation. And so much lighter than lugging a DSLR down a back street when you are being chased."

Last edited:
You can be targeted by pick pockets what ever your carrying.
I've carried my d90 round there a few years ago no worries. You just have to be savvy.

Yeah, a DSLR is fine, I've carried one around there a couple of times and loads of other people do.

People rarely get mugged, pickpocketing is rife but in reality if you're sensible it's not really a problem, same as anywhere, just be aware and don't look like a victim.

When I was in Cuba over Christmas I kept my camera in my rucksack (which I wore across my chest rather than my back). Easy to get the camera out in a couple of seconds for a shot then replace in my rucksack afterwards. I was never bothered by beggars etc. Those walking round with big cameras in their hands were pestered.... you must remember that some places where we travel to the Nikon slung around your neck costs more than some families earn in 3 years. Be discreet, be sensible and be safe.

Not sure even the best pickpocket could pinch a D700 and 24-70 lens without being spotted!!!
AT the risk of being shot down by 4/3 users, if you are used to a dslr i fear you will be disappointed with the iq of 'lesser' cameras. If you want smaller Fuji are excellent. DX sensor and the Xpro1 or XT10 are great value.

My suggestion for a travel camera would be the Olympus E-M10II and/or the Panasonic GM5. The Panasonic GM5 is actually slightly smaller than the Sony RX100 so it looks like a compact camera. If I was walking around in broad daylight I would pair these with the Olympus 9-18 mm f/4.0-5.6 and the Panasonic 45-150mm f/4-5.6 Mega-OIS, giving you coverage from 18mm to 300mm in full-frame terms in a very compact and lightweight package. Swap with low-light primes when you're indoors.

I use a Sony A6000 as my travel camera - with the kit 16-50 it will fit in a decent sized coat / jacket pocket.

IQ wise, the camera is on a par with other APS-C DSLR (it has a 24MP APS-C sensor) - but to get the lens as small as the 16-50 requires compromises (though with modern lens profiles, it's probably on a par with other entry level kit lenses).

If you're happy to switch to a prime then Sigma do a range of f/2.8 lenses for it, or there is the Sony 35 & 50mm f/1.8 OSS lenses, which a both small, light and decent quality.

Not sure even the best pickpocket could pinch a D700 and 24-70 lens without being spotted!!!
AT the risk of being shot down by 4/3 users, if you are used to a dslr i fear you will be disappointed with the iq of 'lesser' cameras. If you want smaller Fuji are excellent. DX sensor and the Xpro1 or XT10 are great value.

Not trying to shoot you down but as a reasonably happy owner of both MFT and FF and in the interest of objectivity I think it's worth saying that many open minded people believe there's not a lot of difference between the tiny sensor MFT cameras and the massive sensor APS-C Fuji's :D

I'd agree there's more of a difference between MFT / APS-C and FF but even then I think you have to look closely to see those differences.

I had a similar conundrum last year - a small, but good interchangeable lens camera for holiday. I bought a Lumix GX7. I got it with the 14-42mm kit lens, and then bought a 20mm f/1.7 prime. In the end, although I took both lenses, the tiny 20mm pancake lens was used for all bar a couple of shots and has been affixed to the camera pretty much constantly since.

IQ wise, I don't see any noteable difference between the 16mp GX7 and my 24mp APS-C DSLR. The only obvious difference is the 4/3 aspect ratio.

Just get a Panasonic LX100..... no lenses to lug around/swap then....

Conversely, I never picked up my FF kit after buying a m43 'travel' camera, ended up selling it all.

However, in this instance I don't see how having m43 is any different from having a DSLR from a security point of view.

Just get a Panasonic LX100..... no lenses to lug around/swap then....

I agree with this. OK sacrifices have to be made, cannot change lenses, but it gives you discretion and a f2.8 lens at 70mm.

I've been to Barcelona many times and have always taken a DSLR. As advised, keep it in your bag when not using it, and make sure you have all the zips secure. I tend to wear a jacket with zip up pockets which tends to deter the pick pockets. Just don't make yourself an easy target, they will have plenty of others to target...

You've been 'scarmongered'!

Barcelona is no different to any other big city, I've had no problems there :)

... pickpockets, muggers and beggars...

And you still want to go? ;) I suppose the advantage with the beggars, unlike the muggers and pickpockets, is that they will ask if they can take your camera?

I have a Panasonic GX7 (there's a GX8 now). For a 4/3 camera it's very good quality and I love it, but they are not cheap - especially the lenses.I find for general travel/trip shots it's fine. I don't go out with the intention of taking great shots on such trips, I just want them mostly for myself. Is that the case with you?

Last edited:
Not trying to shoot you down but as a reasonably happy owner of both MFT and FF and in the interest of objectivity I think it's worth saying that many open minded people believe there's not a lot of difference between the tiny sensor MFT cameras and the massive sensor APS-C Fuji's :D

I'd agree there's more of a difference between MFT / APS-C and FF but even then I think you have to look closely to see those differences.
Another user with both FF and MFT, and an ex Fuji user and agree there's not a lot of difference, especially when taking City pics in good light. I can't see why a DSLR will be targeted any more than a CSC tbh, but having never been there I can't really comment. I do wonder if some of these things are blown out of proportion though? I was told all this when I went to Marrakech yet I felt perfectly safe when I was there.

I spent a week in Barcelona a year ago with my Sony A7rii, A7s, lenses and bag; I went all over the city, day and night, never had any problems, or even felt at any time that I might. Like anywhere, common sense is your best defence against mugging. If things feel dodgy, change direction....and avoid eye contact with any dodgy looking characters.

Last edited:
Back