What decent compacts are out there now?

No you don't but maybe the op is someone who does his shopping in town rather than on line. I doubt he actually believes he'll catch a virus shopping on line. I think that's a safe assumption.

One compact that very rarely get any attention and that is the Fuij X20. There was a X10 before and a X30 afterwards. They were not on the market for very long but having had an X10 which did have some issues, when a X20 come up for sale I snapped it up. About the 2/3rds the size of a Leica M6 it is well built and with a fixed zoom lens linked to the viewfinder which gives the 35mm equivalent of 28 -112m is an ideal 'walk about' camera. I bought it to carry when I am out and about on my motorcycle. The 12MB sensor will easily give an A3 print and the lens is so sharp you waste nothing. They are rare, but well worth getting a hold of if they come up for sale.

No you don't but maybe the op is someone who does his shopping in town rather than on line. I doubt he actually believes he'll catch a virus shopping on line. I think that's a safe assumption.

I was talking about the 'bun fights' not the virus ;)

My dream compact is the Leica C Lux, can be gotten for around £500, or slightly more, second hand. 24-360mm.

Shall be mine one day.

Sony RX100 VI has a 24-200 equivalent range. £630 for a new grey import one so I assume you may be able to get used ones under the £500 budget.

I really like the older Canon G5X but I think it's more like 120mm at the long end.

My dream compact is the Leica C Lux, can be gotten for around £500, or slightly more, second hand. 24-360mm.

Shall be mine one day.

I hate to potentially burst a Leica lust bubble but isn't the Leica C Lux a rebranded Panasonic TZ100/200? I don't see the point in paying way over the odds for a Leica badge.

"The Leica C-Lux is a rebadged version of the Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200/TZ200."

A used TZ100 could be yours for £261, according to google. I bought mine new. You could buy one and paint on your own Leica and red dot.

Last edited:
I hate to potentially burst a Leica lust bubble but isn't the Leica C Lux a rebranded Panasonic TZ100/200? I don't see the point in paying way over the odds for a Leica badge.

"The Leica C-Lux is a rebadged version of the Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200/TZ200."

A used TZ100 could be yours for £261, according to google. I bought mine new. You could buy one and paint on your own Leica and red dot.

What about the Leica magical dust though? ;)

What about the Leica magical dust though? ;)

The dust temporarily blinds you whilst Leica peal off the Panasonic badge, replace it with a Leica badge whilst inflating the price.

I'm not anti Leica but I am anti badge snobbery but that's just me and if you want to pay over the odds for a Leica that we all know is a Panasonic TZx00 then fill your boots (and needlessly empty your wallet.)

Hasselblad did more of less the same with wooden gripped Sony's a few years ago and everyone laughed and wondered who'd fall for it. It seems Leica is better at this.

The dust temporarily blinds you whilst Leica peal off the Panasonic badge, replace it with a Leica badge whilst inflating the price.

I'm not anti Leica but I am anti badge snobbery but that's just me and if you want to pay over the odds for a Leica that we all know is a Panasonic TZx00 then fill your boots (and needlessly empty your wallet.)

Hasselblad did more of less the same with wooden gripped Sony's a few years ago and everyone laughed and wondered who'd fall for it. It seems Leica is better at this.

Yup, I was aware and in fairness, you make a good point.

The C Lux though is probably my only way to ever own a Leica badge, and if ever it happens, it would be second hand. GAS maybe, which I don't usually suffer from but I'd maybe make an exception when the time is right in this case.

The TZ is no doubt a capable compact too. (y)

Yup, I was aware and in fairness, you make a good point.

The C Lux though is probably my only way to ever own a Leica badge, and if ever it happens, it would be second hand. GAS maybe, which I don't usually suffer from but I'd maybe make an exception when the time is right in this case.

The TZ is no doubt a capable compact too. (y)

I know we're going off topic here but I hope the op doesn't mind :D

If I wanted to own something specifically Leica (just because I wanted to) I'd go for either a RF camera or a lens. As I've had a couple of non Leica RF's I'd go for a lens and use it on a mirrorless camera. Film era Leica RF's and lenses are available at affordable prices although I realise what's affordable is open to interpretation. Looking at ffordes and evil bay there are both cameras and lenses at prices I'd pay.

I hope you get what you want one day.

Last edited:

I am still trying to work out how you buy something on line... and how to avoid being scammed. You read about so many people being taken for a ride that I would be one of them.

I know we're going off topic here but I hope the op doesn't mind :D

If I wanted to own something specifically Leica (just because I wanted to) I'd go for either a RF camera or a lens. As I've had a couple of non Leica RF's I'd go for a lens and use it on a mirrorless camera. Film era Leica RF's and lenses are available at affordable prices although I realise what's affordable is open to interpretation. Looking at ffordes and evil bay there are both cameras and lenses at prices I'd pay.

I hope you get what you want one day.

Maybe the TZ option is the way to go then... any niggles lurking in the cupboard with them?

Slightly down-market sensor wise, but what about the Sony HX95 upwards? 720mm reach if you want it, but shoots RAW. Tiny, too. Panasonic/Canon does similar things.

Or am I way off, here?

Maybe the TZ option is the way to go then... any niggles lurking in the cupboard with them?

Niggles?

The lens is a bit soft at some lengths but I think it's still acceptable unless you want gallery quality 1m wide prints. Some may think the controls are fiddly but it's a small camera so what can we expect? I have no real issues operating it. The camera is quite customisable as cameras tend to be these days. For example you can set the dials and buttons to do what you want and your personal menu is there to customise how you like and you can if you want set the camera to either smooth zoom or to step zoom to preset lengths such as 35 or 50mm etc and to remember the setting when you turn it on so you can if you want use it like a 35/50 or whatever mm fixed lens compact. You can also if you want preset everything and use the camera zone focus / hyperfocally. The evf might be poor by the standards of FF mirrorless cameras but I find it perfectly useable and I use it rather than the back screen most of the time.

I don't know what else is available in 1" apart from these Panasonic cameras and the RX100 Sony range. I think 1" seems to be a good compromise between size and quality being better than the really compact but tiny sensor cameras but not at good as the larger sensor Micro Four Thirds system but being much smaller.

I think these 1" cameras are definitely worth looking at as alternatives or companions to smartphones and to larger sensor camera systems. I take mine on holiday with my Sony A7.

DPReview's review of it is here. Here we are at post 58 and we're back at what I suggested in post 3......

It has kept everyone entertained though. I notice they don't crow about the battery life. There are also quite a few negative reports on build quality and lens failures. The Nikon has been bomb proof - it get s chucked in a fishing bag, boat bag, pocket, bumped about loose, doused with sea water from waves over the top of the boat.. it just keeps on working.

Last edited:
I am still trying to work out how you buy something on line... and how to avoid being scammed. You read about so many people being taken for a ride that I would be one of them.

With a credit card and also with paypal you have quite a bit of protection. Plus if you buy from a well known seller I think you're also adding to your protection should something go wrong. With these precautions... using a credit card or paypal and trying to be careful who I buy from... I've had zero issues in my years on buying online.

I'm pretty sure that if you buy from Wex, Currys, Bristol Cameras, Amazon or any of the other well known outlets you'll be fine.

I don't know your circumstances but if you're not confident about buying on line is there someone in the family who could buy this for you with you handing the cash to them? Otherwise you can avoid all this with a trip into the nearest town/city to a shop, you could always ring them and get them to get one in for you.

With a credit card and also with paypal you have quite a bit of protection. Plus if you buy from a well known seller I think you're also adding to your protection should something go wrong. With these precautions... using a credit card or paypal and trying to be careful who I buy from... I've had zero issues in my years on buying online.

I'm pretty sure that if you buy from Wex, Currys, Bristol Cameras, Amazon or any of the other well known outlets you'll be fine.

I don't know your circumstances but if you're not confident about buying on line is there someone in the family who could buy this for you with you handing the cash to them? Otherwise you can avoid all this with a trip into the nearest town/city to a shop, you could always ring them and get them to get one in for you.

I don't have, I have never had, a credit card! I just know I would get myself into trouble with one. A trip to town is inevitable, once we are allowed out and the shops are open again.

I don't have, I have never had, a credit card! I just know I would get myself into trouble with one. A trip to town is inevitable, once we are allowed out and the shops are open again.

I think I'd ring them first just to make sure they have one in.

Good hunting! I hope you find something suitable.

I think I'd ring them first just to make sure they have one in.

Good hunting! I hope you find something suitable.

My 7800 isn't dead yet! I used it today, I just haven't unloaded the pictures yet. Then I have to sit and process them. Fishing comes first!

Back