What do i do?? :S

Tell you what. I have two UV filters that I bought and used once. Guess why, the IQ was carp. However, anyone that has a 58mm thread can have them FOC as long as they pay the postage.

No animosity there, is there?

One is a hoya, can't remember what the other is. In fact first taker gets the hoya and I'll bin the other one, It'll save on the new owner wasting money on postage :)

PM me if you want it!

Last edited:
I don't use 'protective' filters on my lenses and my argument goes like this: you need to spend a fair whack to buy decent filters that won't degrade image quality too much right? So why not spend the money on gear insurance instead? That way you have complete protection.

And just to really poke the nest, I often shoot without a hood either. And were not talking cheap lenses, most of my glass is around the $2-3k mark. Lifes too short to worry about lens damage ;)

Seriously, its just personal preference. I can totally see why some shooters need to, shooting rally cars for example, easier to wash a filter under the tap and bin it when its wrecked than cleaning and replacing lenses too often.

Me too, I'll be banging my head against the wall otherwise.

My parting comment is this though - I've been doing photography for nigh on 15 years and have never used a filter for protection.

I have never suffered a damaged front element.

Hoods and common sense.

Been doing photography,longer,was even a pro for quite few years,and never used a filter for protection,a big waste of time.

Alway use an lens hood,but no matter how many times,i tell people who ask,they alway seem to buy a filter :bang:

I always use filters on my cams. Twice they have saved me from debris, sea water, food, coffee, dust and once from Llama phlegm.

I have one on my 21 and 28mm primes (Hoya HMC and B+W), and notice no degredation in quality either on film or digital rangefinder bodies.

Hourses for courses, but I have yet to see a comparison show between with and without a (Decent) filter which is distinguishable. It's a no brainer to me.

Having said that If people feel the need to 'go naked' then that's cool, too. I scratched a coated Enna-Munchen 135mm prime with a zip once and used them ever since.

ped

I always use filters on my cams. Twice they have saved me from debris, sea water, food, coffee, dust and once from Llama phlegm.

spot on - usually they arent all that against shock damage - mine didnt do a light when I took a cricket ball on the front of the 170-500mm (smashed hood, filter, and front element- and a dirty great black eye where the camera was rammed back into my face)

but against liquids and dust they are the dogs danglies - I dont use one in everyday use but I do have them for most of my lenses and will put them on when circumstances dictate - like for example shooting diving gannets from a RiB (lots of spray), shooting from a safari vehicle (lots of windblown sand), or covering a motorcross event (lots of flying mud) - all three of those situation have trashed a filter but left the lens unharmed

they are also a must for shooting vertical girrafe shots (where the giraffe is loking down at you - something you only really get on experience days) - girraffe saliva is corrosive and completely wrecked the front element on a 18-55 (no loss really) which didt have a filter on at the time.

thats just my experience, if anyone disagrees and wants to shoot without them- then fair play its a free country.

What pete said.

Ok how about these scenarios...

1) You dont put filter on--> in the back of your mind you know you have to be careful as you know there is no filter--> you shoot normal but dont let the front get damaged/scratched in any way. --> you come on a forum and say 'I'v never used a filter, never needed it'

2) you put filter on--> in the back of your mind you think yayy I have filter on, I dont need to be as careful as the filter will offer protection--> filter gets scratched --> you come on a forum and say 'having a filter saved my lens on x occasions'

Each to their own, I'v never used one, never scratched a lens either but if you are clumsy or in situations that need it then get a good quality one.

the end

i think you sum the argument up well, and pete has made a good point, may get a filter now :)

What pete said.

Ok how about these scenarios...

1) You dont put filter on--> in the back of your mind you know you have to be careful as you know there is no filter--> you shoot normal but dont let the front get damaged/scratched in any way. --> you come on a forum and say 'I'v never used a filter, never needed it'

2) you put filter on--> in the back of your mind you think yayy I have filter on, I dont need to be as careful as the filter will offer protection--> filter gets scratched --> you come on a forum and say 'having a filter saved my lens on x occasions'

Each to their own, I'v never used one, never scratched a lens either but if you are clumsy or in situations that need it then get a good quality one.

the end

LOL. I never use protection filters but I always use a lenshood.

In the interest of fairness, it's worth pointing out that Canon don't claim complete weather proofing for any of their lenses unless a filter is fitted to prevent water getting past the front element.

Back