Workshop What do people look for in Workshops

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone,

i have being running workshops for a while now but recently have seen a drop in 1 to 1 s and small group workshops over an oversubscribed multi person workshop....

What I mean is I might only get 1 pos 2 people interested in a 4 man workshop and no one asking for 1 to 1 (and I don't think I over charge for this) but for the multi person workshops / photo walks where I charge a nominal fee and take around 20 folks I am always over subscribed.

Do people just think this is to do with money and the lack of it.

Good to get peoples views.

Thank you

Location, cost and subject. I would be happy to travel 50 miles or so, maybe to 100 and imagine that those in higher density areas will do better.

Some courses (not sure I have seen yours advertised) seem pretty over priced to me. I'd probably stretch to £100 for a small group course, not sure that I'd expect to do a one to one as would think that probably more than I'd wish to pay. I have seen £240 for a small group course - I cannot imagine paying that for a couple of days, let alone a half day.

I'd like to do an off camera flash course. Still waiting for something to come up that fits the above criteria.

Hi Tulipone, Thanks for your reply and your time in answering my questions....

I advertise my courses mainly through friends and Facebook groups but perhaps should start doing more advertising and that could be one issue.

In general my courses are all bellow £100 for a day but as I said I have more interest in courses that are only a few hours and cost £10-15 with limited input.....

I will give you an example.....im running a waterfalls and nature workshop in the souther Peak District two locations one each am and pm cost £85 max 4 people I have one pos 2 take up.

Im then running a small Macro workshop with insects and spiders one eve 2 hours max but there is an insect expert and lots of spiders etc to photograph with a mini safari cost £15 max 20 people.......i have 50 people wanting to book

Perhaps I should just run more of this style of workshop :)

You just have to go with what's working for you Tony, rather than what you'd like to be working with

1-2-1s are great, I do up to 3-2-1s where 2 or 3 mates all come along at the same time so if we are traveling too then we can do so in one car (mine)

I've also run a few sessions on OCF @Tulipone for groups of up to 8 persons and these are easier to book, similar to what Tony's finding. I think people are happier to be less 'on the spot' than a 1-2-1 allows so they can quietly learn from others in the groups too, and reducing the risk of embarrassing themselves; I make it abundantly clear that there is no such thing as a daft question but I can see some are more withdrawn than others

Here's some of the kinds of shot I get when running such OCF days... http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/strobist-ocf-portrait-workshop/ you have to scroll down a lot to see the various types of shots & locations which were all shot in Barnsley or Leeds

These usually last about 4 hours as after that you have a very bored model lol

Dave

The 'advantage' of the 'cheap' short workshops are that, being short, it is much easier to find the time for them if they have other commitments.
Additionally, if it's just £15 then it's cheap enough that people will feel it's worth trying to see if they like your style of workshop - as they don't lose much if they find it's not what they were after. Investing a day (or longer) and the best part of £100 is a different matter.

I would imagine that many 1-to-1 and 1-to-2 type workshops are with people who have already been on previous group workshops with the photographer, so know they will get on.

My guess, having run all sizes of workshops (all on lighting) is that some people prefer the large ones because they like to "hide" in the background.
I've always found much more demand for one-to-one, almost regardless of cost, and that people have travelled vast distances for them, often from the other end of the country, and sometimes from other countries and other continents.

I think cost can be the main factor, there are some in my area which range from £150-£200 for the day, which I think is to much, I would be happy to go up to £100 for the day, but that's my limit, I have been to a couple in my area and while they were quite good I did think their was a bit to much chit chat about other things not related to the course, I mean when everyone arrives, and your sitting there thinking to yourself can we get on with it, I found also in this situation that because of this, things tend to get rushed near the end, I think groups up to 6 are fine, but over that your struggling to get the tuition evened out, more so in the case were theirs models involved and everyone wants to get their shots, having said that one of the best I went to was Garrys a couple of years ago, and while their were about 15 of us I think, it was a real enjoyable day, good tuition and 2 great models to work with, met some great people, and it was a free course which was great, but I would of happily paid for that, just wished I was nearer to the Lencarta studio, as I would definitely be doing more with them :)

Back