What do you dislike the most about your age group?

I hate that everyone in my age group seems to be stumbling over each other for their careers and promotion like it's their only goal in life.
I'm 33 and I'm at the stage where I have my kids (something else that's being put off for career!) and I will get to spend as much time as possible with them.

At the same time, I still like to do fun things. I like to go out drinking and party it up a bit. I can still watch things like Family Guy and Ted and find them funny. I still enjoy playing video games. I'l be responsible when I need to be!
I'm 33.

The thing that most often infuriates me about my peers in their general inability to function as a well rounded human being.
No one seems to be able to get their hands dirty, do any kind of physical work (unless it is what they are paid for) or solve problems for themselves.

DIY is a classic example. I do every bit of work I can myself, often because I simply can't afford the labour costs of a tradesman on top of materials and if I could, I could think of much better things to spend that money on. So in the last two years I have refurbished an entire house from top to bottom with the only trades I have had to bring in is stuff I legally cant do myself. A gas engineer to fit a new boiler and a sparky to sign off the electrics I have worked on.

Yet for some reason all my mates around my age seem to be astounded at the work I have done. They all say things like "where do you find the time?" and "how do you know how to do it" as if they think it's some kind of primal instinct you are either born with or without. Well you make the time if it's important to you and if you don't know how to do it you learn from other people, give it a go, makes mistakes and improve the next time. Dare to actually say that and they come back with stuff like "oh I tried xyz once, but it took ages and I got bored and just left it". So I guess it's not an inability, but just pure laziness.

Another example that winds me right up on almost a daily basis at work is changing toner cartridges in a printer. I work in a civil and structural engineering firm, a big one and have some very bright people doing very good work. But if their print wont come out because it has run out of toner or jammed and they are screwed and will go and re send it to another printer and report it to admin staff requesting a technician comes and looks at it. Are you kidding me? Day in day out you are designing 70 story towers yet can's change a cartridge? The printer even has a screen giving step by step pictures of what to do. **** off you useless ****.

Ok, I'm done. I'm going for a lay down.

So agree with this! I do the most basic thing and my peers are all banging on about how great it is that I can do these things! Lazy shower of.,......!!

I'm 33.

The thing that most often infuriates me about my peers in their general inability to function as a well rounded human being.
No one seems to be able to get their hands dirty, do any kind of physical work (unless it is what they are paid for) or solve problems for themselves.

DIY is a classic example. I do every bit of work I can myself, often because I simply can't afford the labour costs of a tradesman on top of materials and if I could, I could think of much better things to spend that money on. So in the last two years I have refurbished an entire house from top to bottom with the only trades I have had to bring in is stuff I legally cant do myself. A gas engineer to fit a new boiler and a sparky to sign off the electrics I have worked on.

Yet for some reason all my mates around my age seem to be astounded at the work I have done. They all say things like "where do you find the time?" and "how do you know how to do it" as if they think it's some kind of primal instinct you are either born with or without. Well you make the time if it's important to you and if you don't know how to do it you learn from other people, give it a go, makes mistakes and improve the next time. Dare to actually say that and they come back with stuff like "oh I tried xyz once, but it took ages and I got bored and just left it". So I guess it's not an inability, but just pure laziness.

I'm 48, but one of my colleagues is your age. Him and his girlfriend bought a house a couple of years back and they've been doing a lot of work updating it themselves. They've paid people to do other work as well, such as the kitchen, as they didn't want to do what I did and live with mine being like a building site for 18 months as I did a bit at time when I had free weekend. Even so, they've been getting on with a lot of stuff, decorating, plumbing, replacing radiators, building partition walls, gutting and completely refurbishing a bathroom and so on. So it's not all people that age that don't do that sort of work. I think it depends a lot on mindset and looking at problems and solutions. I did help them out a few times as I've "been there and done that" on my own home and learned from my mistakes, but generally they've been cracking on.

As for people my age, it's the born again bikers that had a moped when they were 16 and now think that because they can afford something that sounds like Valentino Rossi might ride it, they can ride it as well as he could. They can't, they are a menace on the road and then you get the utter drivel coming out of their mouths about how awesome they are at roadcraft on their bikes. They aren't. They'd be better off with a Honda 70, other road users certainly would be safer.

Back