What do you do when you're not taking photographs?

About me, I am on 'semi-Sabbatical' break from fashion business, now doing horse racing project, planning my travel for next year (hopefully) and will have to learn more about photography too :)

Retired. Enjoying The Weather Outlook Forum. Night time is for Astronomy. Day time hobbies -- woodcraft , Pyrography. Busy with that for Christmas.. Beading sometimes. Then there is photography. ....Busy time being retired. Got pots for gardening on patio. Along with a couple of bantam chooks....

I spend exactly half my life (3 weeks on, 3 weeks off) offshore on an oil platform (I'm the telecoms tech) and the other half with 3 weeks to do as I please.

Last edited:
Sound engineer, but not in the stereotypical music business, I'm in the 24hr radio news business.
Always said at school I wanted to be a sound engineer, so I achieved my goal, just not exactly how I thought. It's interesting stuff and a rare job to find, but it is shift work which plays havoc with home life and sleep.
But I get time to photograph stuff, light trails on a 2am "lunch" break or sunrise on my journey home from a nightshift for example.
Apart from family, photography is the main thing I do with my time, sometimes I get paid for prints or for family photoshoots or the occassional 2nd shooter at a wedding, which I am hoping to do more of when possible.

I might be tempted to go full pro but I need a steady income and I do worry that it could ruin photography as a hobby for me.

I'm a manager for a well known discount retailer.. not the most enjoyable and the hours are rubbish but it pays the bills better than the competition would..

I studied Mechanical Engineering at Uni, so you can guess what I do...that's right, I'm in Finance! :confused:

Ah well.

Outside of work, 2 young kids and my wife keep me busy, but I also play basketball for a local league team, go to the gym (mainly resistance training), and spend far too much time and money on the cars at home. Two cars at home at the moment, and planning to go halves on a cheapo track car with a friend and start doing more trackdays.

I studied Mechanical Engineering at Uni, so you can guess what I do...that's right, I'm in Finance! :confused:

Ah well.

Outside of work, 2 young kids and my wife keep me busy, but I also play basketball for a local league team, go to the gym (mainly resistance training), and spend far too much time and money on the cars at home. Two cars at home at the moment, and planning to go halves on a cheapo track car with a friend and start doing more trackdays.

Good idea about track car ;) thinking Clio Cup myself... ;) although RS is a great track weapon! A little heavy and expensive! But perfect!))

Mate - are you one every forum haha!?

Looking forward to Saturday. What camera kit are you bringing with you to ADI?

I'm thinking of focusing on video and leaving stills to someone else....who do I know that's a pro photographer, took great pics at Wings & wheels, and will be coming along? Hmm.....

Mate - are you one every forum haha!?

Looking forward to Saturday. What camera kit are you bringing with you to ADI?

I'm thinking of focusing on video and leaving stills to someone else....who do I know that's a pro photographer, took great pics at Wings & wheels, and will be coming along? Hmm.....

Ha ha I am only here because you are lol. Your question popes up on Tapatalk and I registers to answer but forgot lol. Anyhow, think I will bring my 5DSr. The big gun;)

I'm an IT Engineer.

Outside work my time is mainly occupied by the gym or spending time with my daughter.

now thankfully retired ,my day consists of playing games on the i.pad ,lying on the settee ,watching t.v .taking swmbo shopping ,sometimes i even help her do the gardens .and going out taking pics :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I work as an Acoustic Consultant (But also do air leakage testing of buildings under the same company).
In spare time when not working, I look after my wife and son (though my wife probably looks after me) and I sound engineer at church.

Also trying to re-plan a model train layout in my new house's garage.

Back