What Do You Do With Your Images?

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
It struck me today that apart from sharing them here and Facebook, I don't really do a lot with my images. I've sold a few in my time and framed (I'm a bespoke framer) some for personal use. A friend at camera club said to me one time, "why don't you enter competitions, what else is there to do with them (meaning images)? I have entered competitions since but none recently. At the last check, my pictures folder had 89GB of images in it.

I know there's a few pros here, which speaks for itself but what about us keen amateurs, where do your images end up?

I’m the same,
Mines loaded up onto my iPad after editing,
Then shoved onto my NAS drive from my MacBook,
Other than that and Facebook etc..
Then not much,
Never really thought about selling to be honest,
Few of my friends use Lens2Print to sell their images and have decent success

Last edited:
Artistic images get exhibited (the Angel in Lincoln from 7 October to the end of the month and the Asher gallery in Lincoln January 19 for several months) and hopefully sold.

I also produce images specifically to illustrate my essays. And framed images on the wall at home.

Family photos I print out hard copies of usually 5"x7" and get them framed . had one made into a large canvas print for a lounge wall. others go into hard copies that I really like, the rest stay either on DVD or hard drives. some I use IGMUR to post onto forums

Mainly stored on hard drives etc, but my wife gets a lot printed from photobox as 6x4 so she has actual copies for the future.
It's great looking through the boxes of old photos.

Most of mine are holiday or pet pic's. We make calendars each year but that's it for printing. Add them to our digital photo frame / screen saver on the Amazon Fire stick.

The biggest change for me in the last few years is that the wife has started her own vet business, so the pet photo's are used more now than I originally realised.

For me the hunt's the thing. Once I've checked them back at home, if their sharp, well exposed ect, I'm happy. No one pays me any more, gave up trying to please others years ago, so no one else to disapiont except me!

I erm look at them share a few on FB then nothing:(
I just looked and have over 500gb of them
i have been thinking a lot of late if i really need the kit i have anymore or if i could just downsize my gear.

These days photographs I take are purely for pleasure so they get shared with family via Dropbox - I don't so Facebook or Twitter or any of the other anti-social sites. Ones that really take my fancy get printed at home and framed to go on the walls.

When I was a camera club member I used to enter several club and Regional competitions each year plus a few International salons, with mixed success. Haven't sold anything since closing my business down but do a bit of product photography for my present employer.

I put a few on Flickr, a few on Instagram and delete the rest. TBH, it's probably not the best use of money

Been using Flickr many years now, I throw the odd few up there regularly enough, though go through patches of weeks or months where I just don't bother. I post a lot of images to FB, friends and family seem to appreciate them. I have printed a number of my images over time, and some are hung around the house though I do keep meaning to do some more. I have an IG but rarely use it, don't like the format. I post some on here of course, to share with like minded folk, and sometimes just sit and go through older ones with the family, they love looking through my images, that's good enough for me. And I mean genuinely, I don't make them look through them :D They ask now and then.

Images I shot for other people, well, I send them copies and do prints whenever requested, store them away and rarely look at them again.

Last edited:
I make 'em into albums with JAlbum, show them to Mrs S on the TV and, once she's approved them, the album goes into the appropriate section of my web site. Viewing only, no sales or anything complicated.
One particular album occasionally gets shown as a slide show at public exhibitions.

Some go on Flickr but for me, the pleasure is in creating a print. I like to make at least one print from a day out as an "objective". I have a few 13x19 mats strung up on the wall so I just rotate pictures in and out.

Interesting answers. I suppose that I am a little different from the norm in this respect. By all practical measures I am now a professional photographer, though I still take a very amateur view of the world - if I don't think I'll enjoy it, then I won't do it.

I started photography in the year 2000 and I possibly did have a bit of Gas at times, but as I started with a 1MP digital camera, better cameras actually did improve my photography.

For about 14 years I was strictly amateur and I collected lots of photos, mostly travel, printing some for filing in A4 folders or as a yearly calendar and posting many on the internet. I have always liked to share my photos, and I used a variety of sites to do this, including a very good critique site, long gone now and some posting sites, of varying quality. I remember one where you posted a photo and others would score you points for quality. It started of ok until some of the posters discovered that you could get more points by posting lots of points for other users. This quickly snowballed and it caused a lot of contention among users, to the extent that the site eventually closed, and reformed with a new name - Photopoints! I never joined that site, but as it quickly vanished, I assumed that it disappeared up its own a******e. Still, that type of thing has proliferated.

Another site I joined, was called webshots. I think it is still around, but it was bought by someone and they wanted to charge for use, so I left. I apparently had 7,000,000 views on that site, which has always astounded me as it attracted almost no paying customers, not that I really wanted them. I also used a site called 1x.com (still going I think), which did have some genuinely good photographers of the Northern European arty variety. I got angry with their attitudes to photography and left, but it was a good learning experience.

About this time I decided to retire from my job in the Computer Industry and move to the bush (Australian for country). Several of my friends suggested I take up pro photography and I did think about it, but came to the conclusion that: a) photography didn't pay very well, and b) I'd most likely have to take photos of things I didn't like (eg weddings).

So, I started my own photo site using Smugmug and concentrated on taking the photos that I liked with no thought for any professionalism. I did quite a bit of travel, climbed volcanoes and wandered around rainforests, and I posted those photos on Smugmug and Flickr. I started to become obsessed with fungi photography, which I thought had zero chance of either selling or being widely popular. I had discovered when entering comps with fungi photos that it usually took 3 or 4 attempts before the judges of that comp would start to see some merit in a fungi photo. I would usually win something in the end, but it was a frustrating process, so I stopped doing it and also stopped trying to get people to like them. But, I kept posting them on Smugmug and Flickr and sharing them with the mycologists I had come to know. I was happy as I was getting good feedback from the mycologists, who were in turn feeding me with good information on fungi and now my photos were turning up in Wikipedia and in all sorts of collections on instagram, pinterest etc. I had settled into a bush lifestyle and the photos were my way of communicating what I discovered.

Then I was "discovered", firstly by Thisiscolossal, an American blog which I had never heard of, but who, it turns out, are highly respected in the publishing world. Their blog on my fungi photographs generated articles in many of the major nature magazines in the world.
Secondly by the BBC and Planet Earth II. The BBC work was time lapse, but that is just a series of still photos welded into a video. It is quite special hearing David Attenborough doing the voice over for your footage - and it is very good publicity.
And thirdly by some international mycologists and NGOs who wanted me to photograph fungi in their locations to help with documented fungi around the world. This has led to trips each year for the last 5 years, Apparently having good photographs is a key to good fungi documentation and is crucial in spreading the word to a wider audience. It is also the thing that gives me the most satisfaction. It is break even as far as money goes, but it gives me the chance to visit places with guides that few or no tourists ever go to. Most places people go to are bursting with tourists. We just spent a month in India without seeing a single western person and the same usually happens in China.

All this has meant that I do very little these days to post my photos on the web, but they still go on Smugmug and others post them from there. I do the occasional presentation and there is talk of some gallery shows or science exhibitions, but that will be next year. Film work is probably my biggest advertiser now as they do use my stills for film promotion.

Anyway, that's what I do with my photos. It has changed a lot over the last 18 years, as have the opportunities. One thing that has become apparent to me is that video is now much more usable (mainly on phones). Getting moving pictures right has far more to do with the art than with the science so it can be more than a bit challenging for us technical types. Still, it is worth investigation and it will be hard to survive as a pro with just stills in the future. Not that that matters if you are strictly amateur.

At the last check, my pictures folder had 89GB of images in it.

I wished my photo archive was only 89GB, mine dates back to 2008 but I took a break from photography for a few years.
I should go back through them delete quite a few but I've kept lots of them hoping I can salvage the when my pp skills improve.
I'm the same with posting them on facebook and flikr but also sell some via a couple of microstock websites.
I've had a couple printed our on canvas for myself.

Usage varies depending on purpose / content:

Family snaps - some will get put on Facebook / instagram. I don’t put much on Facebook but as our parents / families are anything between 45 minutes and 3 hours away, it’s a good way of them seeing our daughter growing up. I also use it while on holiday a lot as a series of instant digital postcards to show where we are and what we are doing. At the end of each year, I put together a Blurb book of photographs of all the holidays, birthdays and other stuff we have done. I prefer this way than multiple different photo albums and have got about 10 years worth now on the dresser in the lounge.

‘Serious’ photography, I.e my industrial landscape / urbex work, goes on my websites, my other Instagram and Facebook accounts and also Flickr when I remember. I print a lot of this work and use it at my exhibitions and talks. I also show and talk about it at a photographic group I’m a member of. And then there’s books - I’ve self published a couple of books of my work, and pending a contract arriving soon, a proper publisher has commissioned a book of my photographs as well. So I kind of maximise what I do with these photographs!

I post on Flickr quite a bit. Have dabbled in FIAP, WPF and the PAGB awards. Print a few for comps in my camera club and use some for presentations to the club.

Other than that not a lot. I try and keep my Lightroom catalogue devoid of rubbish so have a good clear out every 6 months or so.

Usually printed and in photo books. Some others online. Occasionally large format prints

I used to have pictures framed and up on the walls but when we redecorated they never got put back up as I decided I liked the minimalist look. Some pictures do still get printed and maybe even framed if someone asks for one. Most of my pictures are just viewed electronically now. I often have a slideshow running on my pc and everyone has pictures on their phones and I often look at mine while sat waiting somewhere.

Other than all that my Mrs is Thai and we try to take some pictures almost every day to zap over to Thailand to her friends and family.

I tend to upload and sort them then maybe stick the odd one on instagram or facebook however a lot sit there doing nothing, but a lot of my photos are travel related and although other people may just see a car or a mountain view I re-live the moment in my mind of what was happening in that picture and find them a great way to help remember them small details that you forget otherwise.

it depends what the photo is

holiday and family event photos get compiled into bluray slideshows ( soon to be 4k uhd ) and get watched quite often by various friends / members of the family
some have been framed and printed over the years
some go online via irista , 500pix , photobucket for personal use and a way to get to my photos when not at home if needed

very little gets posted to social media and of course occasionally one or 2 gets posted here

i find compiling slideshows one of the best options for me viewed on the tv in the living room, my daughter Kate will watch them for hours and i quite like watching them too
i have photo albums full of photos printed over the years but nobody really bothers with them

I import them off the memory card.

Very occasionally I do something with a photo or two in Lightroom and share them on the internet.

I have sold framed prints to friends and family etc and entered comps like Countryfile and BWPA, also tried selling on sites like shutterstock but not a millionaire yet though :). Other than that they are stored on hard drives or my pc, I have a clear out every so often too.

Martin

I actually thought about that yesterday when I was looking for some photo's. There are just so many on my hard drive(s) I think I may need to have a cull.

i usually put some shots on the web - used to use flickr and facebook but now not so keen on the idea of effectively helping to build someones online business for free so now they only go on my own site

A member here some years ago sold lots of photos via microstock websites that it paid for her to buy a Canon 70-200L IS f/2.8 mk2.
For some reason I can't explain a photo I took of the panama canal in 2010 still sells well.
I know some people think using microstock websites is selling yourself short but if the photos just sit on facebook, flickr and a hard drive why not make some money from them?

Dale I've just remembered you take some fantastic bird photos.
Some would say the market is flooded with photos of birds. However, there isn't a shortage of photos from the panama canal but mine still sells.

I'm sure your other half would enjoy more trips to restaurant from the proceeds :D

Last edited:
I look at them, and enjoy them. Then there are the ones I take for work, in which case I pass them on to the office, then cringe when they are badly edited and used on the website.

Like all good amateurs I give my photos away in return for a name check. :LOL:

Some I stick on a website, some I print out, quite a few I make into books (for myself) using an on-line print services, some I give away to people.groups who have been kind enough to put up with me taking photos of them, rarely I find people willing to pay me for a print.

I erm look at them share a few on FB then nothing:(
I just looked and have over 500gb of them
i have been thinking a lot of late if i really need the kit i have anymore or if i could just downsize my gear.

I've just been through the same dilemma and sold a lot of my kit, once I've sold my last 2 items my kit will be a Sony A72 + FE 12-24, FE 24-70 (f4) and FE 70-300 and I couldn't be happier. I am even contemplating selling the 24-70 and 70-300 and getting the FE 24-240 but I think that may be a step too far, too much of a compromise.

...delete most of them. :D

I edit the ones that I like the look of and want to keep. They’ll then be stashed away on the hard drive. A few go on FlickR and a few of that few go on photography sites for critique, feedback and ridicule. :)

Joking aside, I enjoy the photo taking process, ie. being out and about on a nice, misty morning or visiting somewhere new and interesting, more than the editing/photoshopping that follows. I originally started photography to encourage me to get up and out in the mornings and get some exercise. If I get a good photo out of it then all the better.

Always left on the hard drive like negatives left in a shoebox.
Mainly as records, to remember what happened or to use as proof to show others what I saw.
Mostly to import into graphic design work, like creating posters, calendars, album covers, etc.
Often used as wallpaper on my computer screen, or as a screensaver.
Sometimes for fun editing, usually use a copy of the image, then do some Photoshopping.

Generally I upload to Flickr, this website, and sometimes Facebook and the decent ones I print out at 6"x 4" and hang on my photo wall (end wall of my kitchen/diner) which is where I do my editing....

DSC_0679 by DB 72, on Flickr

I've sort of become the official/unofficial "documenter" of our (family and/or friends) social gatherings.

So I post the best pics on Facebook for us all to enjoy/laugh at in years to come. If it's a wedding I've attended (not in any official capacity) then I'll send the couple a disc of all the shots I took of the day. And then atthe end of the year, I'll send my parents and in-laws a Photobox book of the best shots of the year of our daughter. Although that's become more and more infrequent as she's now 13 and doesn't want her photo taken all the time, plus as both sets of parents are now on Facebook too, they get to see most of them anyway.

Over the years, I've contemplated using Getty or Shutterstock to try and make some money of some of the best ones I've taken that might have some commercial value (generic party scenes etc) but as it stands the only photo I've ever made any money from was an iPhone picture of an onion with a bruise on it that looked like a heart. ;)

I won a Nokia phone off the back of that, which I immediately sold for around £350.

After copying a set of photos from camera to hard drive I do a quick edit of my favourites into an album and upload that to Facebook. I then share some of those to Instagram. I also do a more in-depth edit of some of them to enter them in competitions/challenges on Viewbug as well as a couple of Facebook competition groups. I've recently started printing a few of my favourites off, some as gifts for family, some for my self, and last year I made a calendar using one photo I took each month the previous year, which I plan to do again this year as they seemed to go down well with the family.

I've got a massive backlog of photos and I've thought about putting a load on a stock photography site but the prospect of having to tag and categorise them all, for the return, just doesn't seem worth it.

I post a great deal of my photos to Flickr, and a few to Google + and Facebook which I recently joined. I enjoy sharing my photos with others. And, I enjoy the social aspect of this sharing with comments and chats about a wide variety of the aspects of photography that make up my photography and others'. However, I will never print my photos nor enter any competitions either online or in the physical world. I shoot with a variety of compact cameras with a 1/2.3 sensor, and edit very lightly with an app. Consequently, most consider my photography to be little more than snap shots. But, I am serious about my photography. I like to do in-the-face, no permission asked, candid street portraits, with eye contact shot within 10 feet of the subject with a short focal length. It is unfortunate that in the world of photography a photographer's dedication is judged most by his kit or image quality rather then how he does his photography. A photographer with a long lens attached to a full frame sensor can do as well if not better in terms of image quality simply by shooting and cropping. So as you can see method and technique gets nothing in the world of photography. Only final results are what counts. Good shooting, everyone.

I share them online, social media/blog/Flickr etc. Print quite a few, regularly changing what we have on the walls.

If anything hasn't been shared/printed and isn't special enough to warrant keeping, I clear it from Lightroom to save on disk space and scrolling through my catalog.

Back