What do you do with your pictures?

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
It's very often the case that pictures languish on the PC hard disk. Yet printing loads of them is not practical and will only lead to lots of albums or photo books gathering dust. I've uploaded some to Facebook as well as my own website. I've copied some onto an external hard drive and viewed them via the blu ray player on the tv.

But what do you do with your prized pictures?

Half decent ones get printed at 6x4 for a start then up to A4 to see if I feel it's worth the effort , ink and paper taking thm up to A3. The few that I feel are worth it get taken up to A3 and may even end up on the wall. a few get uploaded to FlickR and may even get posted here (or elsewhere), although I don't feel that any screen can do a good shot the justice that an A3 (or even A4) print can.

Pretty much just on the pc at the moment, some on flickr some on other forums i use, ill be getting a few printed soon though.

500px looks good Jake - like your pictures too! Might be worth looking into this sort of website ... What photo sharing sites do people recommend?

After losing loads of photos due to a broken laptop a few years back, all my photos now get stored on Laptop, external HD and my PS3.

The most useful I find for viewing is the PS3, gets all my pics up on the 32" inch.

Also, my favorite pics get printed via snapfish. I have no idea how they compare to other printers, I only use them because I get money off through my O2 mobile deal.

Mine stay on my NAS for the most part, some get uploaded to facebook and flickr and a lucky few might get printed.

I tend to use pbase for online galleries and flickr for individual shots. I have a 500px account but not used it much but it looks like it could be good for individual shots (a bit like flickr)

I mostly share them on Facebook if I've photographed a particular event/gathering/whatever, and post 'decent' pictures to my portfolio (I'm another happy 500px.com user: www.hcanning.co.uk / http://500px.com/hcanning ) :)

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I like the look of 500px - just need to decide whether to change my website or link into 500px.

My shots go on Facebook for the in laws who live miles away and also always on appletv so they are constantly on my 50inch tv in hd when listening to music etc.

Also on my desktop wallpaper and mac screen saver

I use them every now and again for pressies and I have several frames around the house that I swap pics in.

As well as backing up my photos onto a separate partition on my hard disk, an external hard drive, and DVDs, I use Flickr as an offline backup. And I add the Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike licence to all of them so that anyone can use them for blogs, websites, personal use, etc. In other words, as royalty-free stock. And I upload everything that I think might be useful so there's a lot of just-ok photos as well as the good stuff. And the good stuff also gets uploaded to my 500px account.

My shots go on Facebook for the in laws who live miles away and also always on appletv so they are constantly on my 50inch tv in hd when listening to music etc.

Yeah same here, just setting my ATV2 up now photos look pretty good streamed to my TV. The large photo files open quite quick aswell and you can configure music to play while your at it :D

How do you view images via the PS3 please?

Several ways, you can stream them from your PC (and I think Mac:shrug:) but the way I do it is just to save them on the PS3's hard drive, copying them either by wifi, or using a memory stick.
Then goto the photo list on the menu and there are all kind of slideshow options there.

Have some music on your system as well and you can have your photos running through on a slideshow with your music in the background, the same as the guys with Apple TV have already mentioned.

just a quick technical issue, your folder on the memory stick containing your pics must be named PHOTO If it is not then your PS3 system will not recognise it. If this happens, simply rename the folder or find the stick on the PS3 menu, press the triangle button, select "display all" and hey presto your pics should be there

Hope this helps(y) also http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/photo/slideshow.html

You can also show photos on the Sony Blu Ray players. I attach an external hard drive via USB to the Sony bdp-s470 and can view them on the tv. The external drive needs to be formatted as fat32 tho as the Sony can't read ntfs file structures - nor can it cope with folders nested more than 5 levels deep. Other than that it's a good way to view your photos.

Back