What do you need?

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

Just wounded what you need to do to get a media pass or how you go about it ?

Any feed back would help, thanks chris.

Camera
some idea of how to use it
a genuine reason to be there
support from your editor
proof of insurance
samples of relevant published work
then you have to take the ring of doom to the volcano
kill all the level 5 orcs
then cross go and collect £ 200

Camera
some idea of how to use it
a genuine reason to be there
support from your editor
proof of insurance
samples of relevant published work
then you have to take the ring of doom to the volcano
kill all the level 5 orcs
then cross go and collect £ 200

But it's a long long long time before you'll collect £200 :thumbsdown:

Hi guys

Just wounded what you need to do to get a media pass or how you go about it ?

Any feed back would help, thanks chris.

To be perfectly honest...
If you need to ask the question, then you don't need a Media Pass.

However, this may answer some of your questions...

I've posted this several times elsewhere on other forums - people are probably sick of seeing it, and I guess it was only a matter of time before I ended up posting it here.
It's essentially related to motorsports photography but the principles are the same for any sport.
It's a bit long, I know, but It covers most things you probably need to know and, dare I say, it tells it like it is, for which I make no apologies.

A quick few words about my background.
I started my motorsport photography over 20 years ago when I stopped competing in rallies.
The biggest problem I and fellow competitors had back then was getting pics of ourselves.
When I finally parked the rally car, I still wanted to be involved. I picked up the camera and started taking pics at club level events to national championship level from spectator areas and selling them to competitors.
After a while I started submitting to a couple of motorsport magazines. It took a while but eventually, after about 3 years, I started getting some images published and then it snowballed from there to the point where I was able to get accreditation.
Today, I cover all types of motorsport and supply several magazines and agencies with images. I have also covered a number of different sports and events for image libraries including Federation Cup Tennis, International Netball, Wrestling, Pro Golf, AFL Football, International Soccer, Pro Cycling and several other sports and events.

A couple of questions you need to ask yourself...

Firstly, what is your reason for wanting media credentials.
Are you a member of the media?
What can you give the organizers by your presence?

Media creds are usually only given to WORKING media. This means people working for and supplying bona fide media outlets ie: Magazines and newspapers and other recognised media outlets such as websites and press agencies.
I’ve been shooting sport, mainly motorsport for over 20 years, and still do club level and grass roots sports.
I supply several magazines and newspapers as well as photo agencies.
I often get asked…
"How do I get a pass to shoot from where you are?”
My reply usually goes something like this…
“How long have you been photographing (insert name of sport) and what outlet do you work for?
To which they reply something like…”Oh I never do. I just want to get in and shoot from where you are. I’m just taking photos for myself”
Ask yourself this…
If you’ve never taken a photograph of a Football (substitute for any sport) game, would you approach the FA (again substitute relevant organization) and say to them “Hey Mr FA Media Man, I’ve never taken a photo of a soccer match before but I think I’m a pretty good photographer, I’m not shooting for anyone except myself so you won’t get any publicity but can I have a media pass for the FA Cup Final…"
Seriously, what do you think they would say.
It would probably be cool to be there and you’d get off on it and brag to your friends, but seriously…
Unless you are working media, why should you be there.

Media credential's ARE NOT a free pass to get in to an event.

Admittedly, sometimes I have seen some people with creds who probably shouldn't have them - and people who probably should have them who don't - most of the time however it's not for me to make that decision.
I do sympathise with people who wish they could get creds for events and can't.
Event organizers are after publicity. You shooting for yourself does not give them that publicity and they do not have an obligation to give you a media pass just because you think you should have one. It is up to you to justify why you should be accredited.
Remember that the 'togs you see shooting at a track or sporting event etc are being paid by somebody therefore IT IS A JOB. They are not there for the fun of it.
Imagine if somebody came into your work place and thought it looks like cool job, do you think they'd just be able to start doing what you were for the fun of it?
Also, there is a whoooole lot more to it than just standing by the track and taking photo's. There are deadlines (sometimes very short) to meet and as a rule I would suggest that for the same amount of time spent trackside there is at least 1/2 to 3/4 of that time to be spent on editing, sending images etc when the day at the track has finished. If you spend 8 hours at the track, then you will usually spend another four to six hours, at least, once you have left the track on editing etc.
Not to mention arguing with editors about what to send and when etc...

I attend a lot of events where I don't have creds so I do know what it's like from behind the fence or in the bleachers, but I still manage to get good and sometimes great images.
It makes you see things differently and find different angles and ways of shooting.
I'd estimate that about 50% of events I go to, I don't have the magic press pass and pay to get in like everyone else.
Sometimes I'm just there for being there, and sometimes it might be a sport I've never shot before but want to see what it's like. Occasionally I do manage to sell some images.
Also, just because you have good gear doesn't mean you should be there either.
I've seen some 'togs with basic DSLR's and kit lenses take some better stuff than guys with 1D's and white lenses (and Nikon equivalent). I occasionally use a 400D with the 10-22 lens and have had those images published. I also use a sigma 10mm fisheye.
In closing, I will say this...
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS.
If you want to have creds for big events, start shooting the grass roots of that sport (no it's not glamorous like the big events - but you'll probably make more money) and start supplying images to publications etc.
This is a great way to get yourself known to event organisers. They learn to know who you are and that you are committed to photographing their sport and being known is half the battle. This is not going to take 5 minutes and may take several years, yes... I did say years.
To do this you need to have passion for both the sport and your photography.
You must be prepared to put up with the elements, rain, hail, shine, and depending on the hemisphere, maybe snow (not generally an issue in Australia) etc etc.
Just like any job, sometimes it will NOT be fun and just plain hard work.
It just depends on how hard you are prepared to work to get there.

Except when learning to swim, always start at the bottom.
I see too many people trying to start right at the top. It doesn't work that way.
The only thing you start from the top is digging a hole.

Last edited:
If you want to be trackside at even club motorsport events in the UK you need £5m public liability insurance to do so.

For a single person to do this you're looking at £70+ for a 12 month policy. Because of this you have to be reasonably committed to do this anyway!

Go to race control, sign on, get your bib, check where you're not allowed to shoot and go out and take photos, whether they're for anyone, or a mate, or just for yourself.

For stuff like comp-safari races, just turn up and wander out on the course. Try not to get in anyone's way.

If you want to be trackside at even club motorsport events in the UK you need £5m public liability insurance to do so.

For a single person to do this you're looking at £70+ for a 12 month policy. Because of this you have to be reasonably committed to do this anyway!

Go to race control, sign on, get your bib, check where you're not allowed to shoot and go out and take photos, whether they're for anyone, or a mate, or just for yourself.

For stuff like comp-safari races, just turn up and wander out on the course. Try not to get in anyone's way.

Do you work for an insurance company as I can see lots of people rushing out and spending a lot on insurance only to find they've wasted their money. Unless things have got very lax in recent years even at club level you need a legitimate reason to be there and just having insurance isn't going to cut it. In fact in my experience at club level the one thing they don't check is your insurance cover however this is from a few years ago.

All the circuits that I have been involved with insist on £5m PLI. Even with that (PLI) I don't know of any that will allow you to turn up, sign on and shoot.

As has been said several times before what is the big attraction of getting trackside?

Comp safari and rallies etc by there nature are slightly different in any case.

Most circuits require it (PLI) now. About 4 years ago when i started about 50% of circuits/series didn't require it for a race meetings (it has always been required for trackday or testing while i've been doing it). Now i cant think of any circuits or series that don't ask for it (if applying on a single event basis)

As is fairly clear from the thread so far - there is not a hard and fast rule for accreditation requirements.

The guidelines (as required by most single event applications) would be as Andrew has detailed.

However this is if you are applying to the circuit. Some series handle the accreditation themselves either instead of or in addition to the circuit. This means you have all sorts of random requirements being thrown around, or indeed just common sense being used on the part of the accreditation officer for that series.

Then you get into season passes - these complicate matters even further.

However if you have a need to be there then you shouldn't have an issue meeting the requirements of any National series.

Single event for a small National series this would probably be fine.

But for BTCC or BSB, Websites don't cut it (for photographers). I appreciate both of these series are against your religion Gary ;)

Even for BGT at an MSV circuit i would be surprised if they were willing to accredit you from a website. Speaking with MSV last weekend - It sounds like websites will not be accredited as readily next year at some events.

Equally - times are changing!

Single event for a small National series this would probably be fine.

But for BTCC or BSB, Websites don't cut it (for photographers). I appreciate both of these series are against your religion Gary ;)

Even for BGT at an MSV circuit i would be surprised if they were willing to accredit you from a website. Speaking with MSV last weekend - It sounds like websites will not be accredited as readily next year at some events.

Equally - times are changing!

so you are telling me that all those hundreds of photographers at BTCC are accredited by printed media and tv?

Printed Media yes (the majority of them) To secure our season passes at mid season we have to provide a number of clippings of our work being used in print. Obviously there are also people with MSV season passes etc...

Thats the irony behind it all. BTCC isn't the easiest series to get accredited for - yet it attracts by far the largest number of regular photographers (to a silly perhaps dangerous extent).

Have to agree I think the number of TOGS at some BTCC rounds is bordering on dangerous.

Printed Media yes (the majority of them) To secure our season passes at mid season we have to provide a number of clippings of our work being used in print. Obviously there are also people with MSV season passes etc...

Thats the irony behind it all. BTCC isn't the easiest series to get accredited for - yet it attracts by far the largest number of regular photographers (to a silly perhaps dangerous extent).

yeah but they dont all have season passes. we are just talking about how to get accreditation.

yeah but they dont all have season passes. we are just talking about how to get accreditation.

I would of said a good percentage of the togs at BTCC events are season accredited by BTCC. Perhaps as many as 1/3. I would say the other 2/3 are made of regulars who apply on a single event basis and Locals to the circuit who use either a circuit based Media pass or a single event pass.

Most of these methods require you to have a letter of accreditation from an editor of a publication (established for over 10 months or whatever that circuit/organisers requirement is) and they also require 3+ examples of published work.

BSB requires examples of work from specifically BSB within 12 months (from memory), plus other requirements such as providing FOC images to the organisers within 12-24 hrs of the event.

Back